Thread: Camping trip to AK

Default Camping trip to AK

Hey guys, im looking at taking a trip to Alaska for hiking and camping and backpacking. I want to go to Kenai and i'd like to know what i should prepare for. Any tips are great, thanks!

Default Alaska Camping

Wet, cold, rainy, dry, hot, and humid. Mosquitos, no seeums, biting gnats, and horseflies. Devil's club, Cow's parsnip, wild rose, stinging nettle and assorted other puckerbrush. Bears, wolves and angry moose.
    Besides that, beautiful scenery, majestic vistas, and an awesome time! Hope you enjoy your trip!

Plenty of folks here with good info. If you post some specific questions or concerns, i'm sure plenty of folks will chime in and help you out.

You might get better answers if you were more specific on your plans. Do you want to camp out of a car? Hike inland an camp? Fish? Day hikes and return or over nighters? You might look at the thread that is visiting Alaska on the cheap, or something like that.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Welcome to the Alaska Outdoors Directory, COwoodsman!

Hiking and camping here is nothing like it in Colorado.

You still get phone service on top of Quandary Peak out there! Here, you have SPOT devices and Iridium phones because you will not have cell phone service.
    Biggest thing is to be prepared in Alaska. It's not the same as Colorado where you have a definite road system and you can find your way, walk out, or climb to the tallest mountain and see the street system.
    You can't figure out your East, West, North, South by where the sun is located at like you can in Colorado.
    Animals are far more tame in Colorado than here in Alaska. It's true WILDlife here. Not like the deer, coyote, or fox that we see running in Denver or the bears that we see that make their way into Boulder, Ft. Collins, or Colorado Springs.
    Alaska hiking is no Chautauqua Park. http://www.chautauqua.com/pdf/circle_hikes.pdf
    Alaska camping is no Blue Mesa Res, either.
    http://www.bluemesares.com/

You will find that there is a deeper sense of true Outdoors when you are here in Alaska. Anything can become a survival moment in the event of a mishap or a bad decision. You won't smell pollution on top of our mountains and if you go remote enough, you may not even see foot trails on places to hike. You can potentially not see another person for days, too. If you can handle it, you'll love it, but you'll have to give up modern day conveniences to authentically enjoy it!

You'll enjoy it here, but if you want more information, it requires more than just 1 post on hiking thread.
    Again, welcome to the board and it's nice to see other fellow Coloradians here.
    Lurker.

Woodsman: Be careful on the advice you get from a past Coloradoian, she's really an Alaskan at heart.

Default Surprises maybe quite common...

I like oldakcop's response...and find a measure of truth there:

"Wet, cold, rainy, dry, hot, and humid. Mosquitos, no seeums, biting gnats, and horseflies. Devil's club, Cow's parsnip, wild rose, stinging nettle and assorted other puckerbrush. Bears, wolves and angry moose.
    Besides that, beautiful scenery, majestic vistas, and an awesome time! Hope you enjoy your trip!"

1. "Wet, cold..." - Good reasons residents like fleece jackets. (Good reasons residents do most things the way they do). "Fleece" usually a synthetic or combination garment, insulates, yet dries fast and breathes too for the hiking or other exertion. That's the hazard with cotton - doesn't dry well, then people get cold, hypothermic... etc.

2. "...rainy" - I think some visitors, who come looking for blue skies and warm days - the ones those travel brochures emphasize - probably often leave disappointed, but if you're planning to hike and planning for the right gear - you should enjoy your stay no matter what. Many residents find this place, as I once read in the newspaper, "heartachingly beautiful" - and sometimes on those overcast or rainy days. Use the advanced search function to search the forums for preferred raingear (hiking forum or gear forums maybe) or just go to your favorite outdoors store in CO, tell 'em where you're going, activities planned and pick from the choices they offer.

3. "...dry, hot, and humid"... likely the least of your worries, but I wouldn't make any big trip without some nylon (light, quick dry, breathable), convertible (zip off) type pants in case you get good weather. If you see 80 degrees F, some locals will be gettin crabby. One important factor: if it's hot and dry, the fire danger will be high. The many standing beetle-killed spruce trees in many areas make the situation worse. If you use a stove or fire, have a plan to quell it if something happens.

4. "...Mosquitos, no seeums, biting gnats, and horseflies. Devil's club, Cow's parsnip, wild rose, stinging nettle and assorted other puckerbrush."
    Good repellent will be available everywhere. If I was going to be in the wilds much, I'd pack a headnet (black for me) and light gloves. They aren't often needed, but occasionally I wish I'd packed them. Mosquitos generally respect a good slime of repellent, but those pesky flies called white sox, they don't read so good or something...

5. "...Bears, wolves and angry moose. ": Bears and wolves, I think folks usually (not always) understand to be a hazard, but people do what they do, and sometimes moose must seem tame and docile to some. A friend of mine was run down by a moose this winter while walking his dog in his neighborhood. He was a well guy before, but after his pelvic fracture surgery, he's still not getting around normally. Find YouTube on moose tramplings. Beware the moose.

ADF&G Wildlife does a good job providing helpful information about bears. Check out the pages at: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...dfg=bears.main.

6. Consider buying a book for specific information about your activities in Alaska. The bookstore on this site has some excellent titles. The Milepost (http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...Path=7&&page=4) is actually quite good for traveling and will likely have a few hiking/camping specifics too - best though for interesting and practical tidbits about stuff you're driving past.

Campgrounds here are often more primitive than the Lower-48 states. Trails can be too. If you wander out of voice range or in sparsely populated areas, know where you are. Consider having good maps, a fully charged cell phone, a compass and maybe GPS. If you need help, you'll need to be able to tell others where you are. There's a book, Danger Stalks the Land, by Larry Kaniut full of problems folks have had in the Alaskan outdoors, many of them during daytrips in the Anchorage bowl. Think it through before venturing far alone.

Otherwise, agree with oldakcop: "Besides that, beautiful scenery, majestic vistas, and an awesome time! Hope you enjoy your trip!"