Thread: canning river august hunt

Default canning river august hunt

hello all,,planning a hunt on the canning for aug 2010,any help?water levels for upper river,,how far to go in<sheep,caribou,bear,,thinking about taking sjx from the sag to the mouth then up river,,

I don't think you can get there that way. As far as I know the sag and canning don't ever flow together. The canning can be tough on a raft, never heard of any jet boat traffic, not up high anyway.

Steve

Default Sorry,

If water conditions was the best they could get you could run the sag to the ivashak and still be 10 - 15 miles from the Marsh fork of the Canning. And that is steep vertical mountainous country. The Canning is beautiful though.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I don't think you can get there that way. As far as I know the sag and canning don't ever flow together. The canning can be tough on a raft, never heard of any jet boat traffic, not up high anyway.

Steve
    going to run the coast past pt tompson been working there 2 years

Default Am I confused?

Or are you suggesting that you are planning on running a power/jet boat in the Beaufort Sea over to the mouth of the Canning and then upriver from there? And then float/power back down the same way? . . . please clarify. There is no connection to the Sag or Ivashik. I have floated the Canning. The water levels can be quite low in the fall depending on the year, and the upper parts can be drag only for stretches even with light rafts. Power boat is not the way to access sheep country there, and there are easier/cheaper ways to access caribou country by powerboat than the Canning. Those that access more remote areas such as the Canning are typically looking for a type of wilderness float experience, and I have only ever known of fly-in/fly-out usage there.

Default canning river

Quote Originally Posted by millsymojo View Post
    Or are you suggesting that you are planning on running a power/jet boat in the Beaufort Sea over to the mouth of the Canning and then upriver from there? And then float/power back down the same way? . . . please clarify. There is no connection to the Sag or Ivashik. I have floated the Canning. The water levels can be quite low in the fall depending on the year, and the upper parts can be drag only for stretches even with light rafts. Power boat is not the way to access sheep country there, and there are easier/cheaper ways to access caribou country by powerboat than the Canning. Those that access more remote areas such as the Canning are typically looking for a type of wilderness float experience, and I have only ever known of fly-in/fly-out usage there.
    yes,,down the sag,along the coast,up the river,62 miles from the mouth of the sag to mouth a canning,,not looking for the cost thanks,im a guide and was born and raised up here,not a rookie,taken a boat ride or 2 along the coast to pt tompson i work there,also flown there in helecopter,,just looking for more info on the river,thanks im am doing it so i guess ill be the first,,not beening smartassed,just i do things defferent then most,some work some dont,,i run the melozi cayon every year witch they say cant be done,I do run it with a defferent boat,thanks craig
    Last edited by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com; 06-13-2010 at 22:13. Reason: left out info

Default sorry

I did not wish to irritate you. I was trying to clarify your intentions, and enter a friendly conversation. I do not know you, and was not trying to belittle you. This site has some members who sometimes just throw out ideas hoping something will stick without any previous research/knowledge etc. Therefore, some conversations begin with measuring the posters intention, interest level, etc. to know where the conversation begins. That's all.

Since you are a guide, is your intention to offer this service on a guided or transport basis or is this for personal experience?

Copy. I see your last edit now. Thanks.
    Last edited by millsymojo; 06-13-2010 at 22:36. Reason: content

Quote Originally Posted by millsymojo View Post
    I did not wish to irritate you. I was trying to clarify your intentions, and enter a friendly conversation. I do not know you, and was not trying to belittle you. This site has some members who sometimes just throw out ideas hoping something will stick without any previous research/knowledge etc. Therefore, some conversations begin with measuring the posters intention, interest level, etc. to know where the conversation begins. That's all.

Since you are a guide, is your intention to offer this service on a guided or transport basis or is this for personal experience?
    no its ok,sorry,its just a fun trip for me and some friends,no future plans to take others,,I guess i took it wrong,see to many subjects on here go off track,,im open to info about the upper river or other help or anything else you may offer since you floated it,going light boat runs in 4 inches of water,floats in 6inches,,thanks

ak challenge: send me a PM then. I've got to get off the computer for the night, but I'll check back later. I would prefer to keep my communication more discreet from here on out. Thanks, Brannon

what kind of boat/equipment are you going to be using?

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    what kind of boat/equipment are you going to be using?
    2009 sjx,plastic bottom,center consol,hilleberg tent,winch lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com; 06-14-2010 at 11:28. Reason: spelling

still looking for info on the upper river

Expect lots of sheep hunters on the upper portion of the Canning. That whole area is becoming saturated. Oh, and do us all a favor and pick up some of the industrial trash left behind by the North Slope conglamerates during exploration and leave it on their front door in Prudhoe.

Quote Originally Posted by futurerancher View Post
    expect lots of sheep hunters on the upper portion of the canning. That whole area is becoming saturated. Oh, and do us all a favor and pick up some of the industrial trash left behind by the north slope conglamerates during exploration and leave it on their front door in prudhoe.
    ok well try to do my part,,picking up i mean lol

Talking There is a stream Gage 20 miles up from the mouth

thanks ill keep an eye on it