Thread: Savage rifles

Default Savage rifles

I remember when the Savage rifles were considered a poor mans rifle. I remember when the Savages cost half the price of all the other mass produced American made rifles. I will admit that none of the bad things said about them ever kept me from using them. I have just about always had a cheap Savage behind the seat in the truck and even though my truck gun was always the most abused and neglected gun in the stable I never had problem one with them.

I have noticed Savage's tupperware stocks as I have also noticed the same quality stocks on the factory Rugers, Remingtons,Tikkas and the rest. The Savages do have plastic magazine followers in their new guns but I have to admit that of all of my rifles my new Savage feeds shells the smoothest of them all (a close second is a cheap Marlin XL7 in 270).

The biggest thing that I have noticed is that the Savages can no longer be considered a poor mans rifle. I just looked at Gunbroker.com and did a search on Savages in the 308 offering. The first page had 44 Savage bolt action rifles on it. The total value (asking or starting bid price) on those 44 rifles combined was $39,463 or an average price of $869. Of the 44 guns 13 were priced over $900 and of those 13 guns 9 were priced over $1400 with 4 of them being in excess of $2000. Who'da thunk it?

Default The first 110

I had was a .270 with a Tasco 4x scope bought from Herter's back in 1964. My hiogh school buddy Cliff and I ordered the 110s together, both .270s. We never even got asked our age and they were mailed to us after we sent the $129.00 for each. I too ka half dozen little California desert bucks with mine before I traded it in for a Model 700 30-06, which was not as accurate as that Savage. Cliff still has his.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

For some reason my computer wouldn't let me go to that sight.

Will, do you have any experience with the Savage Edge or does anyone out there? There are a couple of young lads working with me at the school this summer and they are both wanting deer rifles to hunt Mo. this fall. These young guys don't have a lot of jingle so I recommended a Stevens 200 or a Marlin XS7 in 308 or 7mm08. The only thing I know about the Edge is what people who are selling them have to say. I'd rather here from someone who has one!

I am able to bring it up and get on without any problems. Here is the Savage Link, http://savagearms.com/firearms/featured/

With a retail price of $329 you should be able to find it for less.

As far as I can tell its just the old Savage 10 returned with extras. I know its hurting the H&R sales
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have looked at one and I believe they are the old model 10 dressed up. I am sure they would be a good gun like the old 10 was. I have owned alot of rifles made by other companies that can`t begin to compete with Savages accuracy. I have some collectors rifles but when it is time to head to the woods I have a savage in my hand.