Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: 2010 Diesel Mudd-Ox

  1. #1
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default 2010 Diesel Mudd-Ox

    My new toy is on the way from the factory and should be here soon. I also ordered a Pac Rat trailer to go with it. Looking forward to getting out and about with it. Hope to have it by the end of the month. Mark at Alaska Mudd-Ox has been a great guy to deal with. Here are a few photos of one similar to mine.

    These were from the outdoor show...


    Steve

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default Really nice

    If I didn't have my 2010 Ranger 6X6 I'd have either an argo or one of these. Looks really bad *****. I love how the argo or mud-ox look with tracks.

    Have fun!

  3. #3

    Default

    That's a sweet looking machine, and a great choice on the trailer too.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default $$$$

    Well, I know everyone else is wondering.

    What did this set-up cost ya?
    Why did you go with Mud-Ox vs. Argo?
    Why did you go with Diesel vs. Gas?

    Good choice on your trailer too. I have a Pac-Rat Outfitter.

  5. #5
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Well, I know everyone else is wondering.

    What did this set-up cost ya?
    Why did you go with Mud-Ox vs. Argo?
    Why did you go with Diesel vs. Gas?

    Good choice on your trailer too. I have a Pac-Rat Outfitter.
    My rig is going to cost real close to 40k including the trailer.

    I chose the Ox over the Argo for a few reasons.

    I did not like the way an Argo swims, with the engine forward it swims very nose low.
    I like that the Ox has the engine in the middle and has a better center of gravity.
    The Ox is Hydrostatic driven and does not loose power when turning as opposed to the Argos skid steer.
    The price between the 2 is not much different.
    I chose the diesel for it's durability and it uses a fraction of the fuel the gas version does.
    I also have a small diesel drip stove for my Arctic Oven so I can use the same fuel for both.
    I wanted to be able to haul at least 3.
    The wife insisted on HEAT.
    I'm getting to the heavy camping stage in my life and like to be comfortable when I can.
    I wanted a vehicle that I could use in the snow as well as the mud.

  6. #6
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Mark sent me some photos of mine at the factory.





    Steve

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default Thanks for the info

    All good points. My father-in-law has an argo and they do swim funny. Have fun with it.

  8. #8
    Member Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Alaska
    Posts
    2,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My rig is going to cost real close to 40k including the trailer.

    I chose the Ox over the Argo for a few reasons.

    I did not like the way an Argo swims, with the engine forward it swims very nose low.
    I like that the Ox has the engine in the middle and has a better center of gravity.
    The Ox is Hydrostatic driven and does not loose power when turning as opposed to the Argos skid steer.
    The price between the 2 is not much different.
    I chose the diesel for it's durability and it uses a fraction of the fuel the gas version does.
    I also have a small diesel drip stove for my Arctic Oven so I can use the same fuel for both.
    I wanted to be able to haul at least 3.
    The wife insisted on HEAT.
    I'm getting to the heavy camping stage in my life and like to be comfortable when I can.
    I wanted a vehicle that I could use in the snow as well as the mud.
    You forgot to add with the ox you can put the wife in the back behind the engine and you do not have to listen to her
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

  9. #9

    Default

    It really doesn't get any better for overland travel in Alaska. I know you'll enjoy it and the rest of us will have to drown in our jealousy.

  10. #10
    Member Fishhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    82

    Default Went out this weekend

    I went out and drove the new diesel with tracks very hard out boon-docking off trail by montana creek sunday. I put 6.6 engine hours on the machine and burnt only 5 gallons of fuel. I was able to try the ox in a variety of terrains. We rode in 2 miles on a trail the parallels the south braid of montana creek and from there branched off on our own. I was impressed with how the mudd-ox tracks held up on the trail conditions (especialy since the other mudd-ox had argo tracks on and blew a bead because of the tracks flexing on the sidewalls) the trail was concaved up so the edges of the tracks were supporting the majority of the weight of the machine. I think the spring steel on the mudd-ox tracks kept the keepers from folding on the sidewalls much better than the fiberglass stiffeners in the rubber argo tracks on the other machine. We also went through muskeg, alders, mud, steep climbs and steep descents. I was extremely impressed with the amount of power the new diesel has for climbing. I was out with an older gas mudd-ox and the difference in power when climbing was noticeable. The diesel did have lower gears but I have driven a gas mudd-ox on tracks with low gears and there is no comparison to the diesel. I knew there would be some performance gains in the diesel- I thought the best would be the fuel consumption- but I was not expecting the power increase to be so substantial. I figured I got 3/4 gal an hour fuel economy, which is a 1/4 more an hour than the factory was seeing in testing but I was literally climbing and or pushing the machine the whole time. And fuel economy in real alaska situations is a little different than in Indiana. I think the fuel economy could even get better though as the driver gets more familiar with the machine. I definitely was learning the entire time I was driving and I know I was using the engine more efficiently on the way out than on the way in. We have 25 hours on our diesel and the majority have been put on by my brother Ben. So this was my first solid outing with the turbo diesel and it did not fail to impress. All I can say is, there is not a moose that is safe with this thing in the proper hunters hands.

    Congrats on the machine I know you will put it through its paces and judging by some of your post, your machine is going to be apart of many successful hunts and adventures with you and your wife. By the way I really enjoyed your black bear hunt post in the hunting forum it looked like you guys had a fantastic trip.

    Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
    I went out and drove the new diesel with tracks very hard out boon-docking off trail by montana creek sunday. I put 6.6 engine hours on the machine and burnt only 5 gallons of fuel. I was able to try the ox in a variety of terrains. We rode in 2 miles on a trail the parallels the south braid of montana creek and from there branched off on our own. I was impressed with how the mudd-ox tracks held up on the trail conditions (especialy since the other mudd-ox had argo tracks on and blew a bead because of the tracks flexing on the sidewalls) the trail was concaved up so the edges of the tracks were supporting the majority of the weight of the machine. I think the spring steel on the mudd-ox tracks kept the keepers from folding on the sidewalls much better than the fiberglass stiffeners in the rubber argo tracks on the other machine. We also went through muskeg, alders, mud, steep climbs and steep descents. I was extremely impressed with the amount of power the new diesel has for climbing. I was out with an older gas mudd-ox and the difference in power when climbing was noticeable. The diesel did have lower gears but I have driven a gas mudd-ox on tracks with low gears and there is no comparison to the diesel. I knew there would be some performance gains in the diesel- I thought the best would be the fuel consumption- but I was not expecting the power increase to be so substantial. I figured I got 3/4 gal an hour fuel economy, which is a 1/4 more an hour than the factory was seeing in testing but I was literally climbing and or pushing the machine the whole time. And fuel economy in real alaska situations is a little different than in Indiana. I think the fuel economy could even get better though as the driver gets more familiar with the machine. I definitely was learning the entire time I was driving and I know I was using the engine more efficiently on the way out than on the way in. We have 25 hours on our diesel and the majority have been put on by my brother Ben. So this was my first solid outing with the turbo diesel and it did not fail to impress. All I can say is, there is not a moose that is safe with this thing in the proper hunters hands.

    Congrats on the machine I know you will put it through its paces and judging by some of your post, your machine is going to be apart of many successful hunts and adventures with you and your wife. By the way I really enjoyed your black bear hunt post in the hunting forum it looked like you guys had a fantastic trip.

    Rich

    Thanks Rich,

    Awesome report, maybe we can get together one day and do some riding. Hope you continue to enjoy your new ride. Looks nice.

    Steve

  12. #12
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Nice looking ride Steve! Hmmmm, was looking at a Polaris sXs 6 wheeler, now I'm wondering!? Lol.... Might have to look at one of these!

  13. #13
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Mudd-Ox is a small company, but they go above and beyond to get things right. Much like Mr Wooldridge of Wooldridge boats. They really care about their products.

    The Ox will also swim with the rubber tracks and they are an American company unlike Argo.

    Hope to have my hands on my new rig soon.

    I considered the new Ranger 6x6 but wanted something that will float. They look like a sweet ride for sure.

    Steve

  14. #14
    Member ARGONUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Argo is not made in america true but they are american owned. And after over 40 years of doing something right the new american owners would be retards to change anything. besides atleast it is north american company not japan or tiawan.

  15. #15
    Member ARGONUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Nothing against Mudd ox I am glad there is more than one reliable company out there now. I also like the idea of the hydrostatic drive. But one question How in the world can anyone stand to be inside of that canopy and listen to that infernal hydralic whine all day. I hope Muddox can get a foot hold in this bad economy because they are a small company and so far I have only heard of them up here in alaska. Anyone know how they are fairing down in the rest of the USA

  16. #16
    Member Fishhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARGONUT View Post
    Nothing against Mudd ox I am glad there is more than one reliable company out there now. I also like the idea of the hydrostatic drive. But one question How in the world can anyone stand to be inside of that canopy and listen to that infernal hydralic whine all day. I hope Muddox can get a foot hold in this bad economy because they are a small company and so far I have only heard of them up here in alaska. Anyone know how they are fairing down in the rest of the USA
    Mudd-Ox is not going anywhere anytime soon! The manufacture has contracts with several large oil companies in Canada, Europe, and the lower 48. The commercial market has been huge for the company. The Mudd-Ox has been chosen over the argo lately because they are still certified amphibious with the Roll Over Protection System that comes standard with the machine. A lot of companies want their amphibious machines to have a ROPS. But due to the poor balance of the argo in the water they are unable to certify them amphibious with a roll bar or the majority of their tops attached.

    Alaska Mudd-Ox is the largest recreational dealer in the US but I think a lot of that is due to the location. More people are serious about go anywhere vehicles in Alaska than any other state. The dealers down in the lower 48 do a lot of commercial business but again, they don't have the same recreational market.

    The hydraulic whine is there but it is minimal. There is no way to eliminate all hydraulic noise and keep the price affordable. The performance gains from the hydraulic system are so substantial when compared to the mechanical skid steers that there are very few people who are bothered by the minimal amount of noise increase. Argonut, have you been in a mudd-ox or drove one recently? I have heard you comment on the hydraulic whine on a couple of different occasions but I remember you also saying you had not driven one yet on another forum. If you haven't, I would be glad to let you drive mine around to see what you think.

    Any ways, I agree with you about having more than one reliable AATV company in AK. It will only help the consumer by providing competition and options.

  17. #17
    Member ARGONUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    207

    Default

    we will have to get together some time and play with both our aatvs.

  18. #18
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Got a chance to get out and try out my new Ox. I was very impressed with the handling and the power was incredible. The trail was wet and nasty and I stayed warm and dry. Had a small issue was a faulty relay and with a quick call to my dealer we had the Owner of Mudd-Ox Matt on the phone and he got his electrician on the conference call. They talked me trough trouble shooting the relay. It was after 10pm their time. Great customer service.
    Look forward to getting out and giving it a work out soon.


    Steve

  19. #19
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Went the the store this morning to top off my tank with fuel. While paying I saw a young man covered in mud looking like he lost his dog. I ask him how he got so muddy. He said that he had been trying all night to get his 4 wheeler unstuck. He was waiting on a tow truck because he had tried to pull out his wheeler with his truck and now they were both stuck. He said the tow truck would be an hour or so. I told him to jump in the Ox and we would go have a look. He had a tow strap so we hooked up the Ox and I tighten the line. He kept saying that it would never pull his truck out because it was bottomed out on the frame and rear end. I gave the Ox all she had, I felt it give just a little. I backed up and gave her all she had as the strap pulled tight I felt the truck starting to give. A few more hard tugs and the truck was free. After we got the truck out of the way I pulled up and winched the atv out. That diesel Ox is a beast. The guy could not believe that a machine that would fit in his truck could pull it out. All I had was my Iphone, still got a few photos. If you are in Fairbanks and get your atv stuck give me a ring.




    Steve

  20. #20
    Member mod elan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Glennallen
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Cool! Might just have to make a drive up to get stuck and see it in action Are there no worries on stressing something on the machine when doing what you did? Curious about chains or something. You think he might invest in a winch for the wheeler now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •