Thread: rafts for halibut fishing

Default rafts for halibut fishing

Hi. I'm wondering what the practicality of using a raft for some chicken halibut fishing would be, say off Homer for instance. Have any of you done this? It seems safe enough. I have a 15-horse engine I could hook up to one. Would a cataraft be better for this than an oval raft? I'm just trying to get out to the halibut without buying a big boat, while maintaining a relative amount of safety. I've seen some very small power boats out there, not far from the shore. I would even like to take it across the bay to the islands over there, and try my luck there for some halibut. Any ideas?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Rafting for Halibut - NOT!

I lived down in Homer for years and did my share of Halibut fishing. I wouldn't trust to a small raft and low powered engine out there. The currents and wave action is strong out where you'd go for chickens, maybe 225 to 260 feet. I suggest against it.

Default Rafts ?

What do you mean by Rafts ? A selfbailing whitewater boat, or a sport inflatable like a zodiac with a transom?
    We use a 16' achilles in homer, deep creek, & seward a lot without problem.
    However I did have a 14' selfbailer that I had Tracy build a frame motor mount for & had a 15 hp johnson for. This set up I would not take out in the salt as the speed was way to slow, & the more power you gave it would just start to flex the tubes & put more water in the floor. Round boats are just not meant for this application.
    BTW I still have the frame mount if anyone would be interested in buying it.