Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Legal question about bait stations......? after they are pulled

  1. #1

    Default Legal question about bait stations......? after they are pulled

    If someone pulls all of the station out early, it is cleaned up, the station is closed. The bears are going to continue to return for some period, because of residual smell & force of habit. Question: is there a legal (Not moral/ethical) reason someone else could not visit that site several times a day....????

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valley trash.....and proud of it.
    Posts
    813

    Default

    nope. go wack a nice one.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    nope. go wack a nice one.
    So what if the registered owner, returns and re-sets up the station.....?

  4. #4
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So what if the registered owner, returns and re-sets up the station.....?
    If a guys comes back later (during baiting time frame) and re-establishes his site again, then it's his to hunt over, but IMO once the guy cleans his site out legally, then anyone can hunt that area, path, trail ect ect.

  5. #5
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    This subject came up a while back and I ask F&G about it in Fairbanks. I was told that as long as bears are being influenced by the bait and you are aware that baiting is or has been going on in the area then it is still considered baiting. I knew of an area that several folks were baiting. The area was eat up with grizzly, I was told that the bears were being influenced by bait and even though I did not have a bait site it was not legal to hunt them.

    As always do your own research, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

    Sometimes when we start reading between the lines, we end up signing on one....

    Steve

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    This subject came up a while back and I ask F&G about it in Fairbanks. I was told that as long as bears are being influenced by the bait and you are aware that baiting is or has been going on in the area then it is still considered baiting. I knew of an area that several folks were baiting. The area was eat up with grizzly, I was told that the bears were being influenced by bait and even though I did not have a bait site it was not legal to hunt them.
    Steve
    There would have to more than that. Because the Hope Road is solid bait stations, then no one could hunt the Hope Road area accept those with a station, and maybe in theory only on their station, or they would be using someone Else's station without their permission.

    If you saw one walk across the Hope Road and eat some grass, you could not shoot, because you know there is baiting in the area.....? No I think that would not get a conviction.

    It would also raise the question, If you know where there is a dead moose killed by a truck last week, it is baiting if you go check it regularly, in both cases you did not put the bait there.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    178

    Default Permit length?

    So how long is the permit good for then? If you clean it out isn't the registration still good until the end of June? So would you go to fish and game and tell them you are done and pulled out of the area just in case?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    You are very correct.


    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    This subject came up a while back and I ask F&G about it in Fairbanks. I was told that as long as bears are being influenced by the bait and you are aware that baiting is or has been going on in the area then it is still considered baiting. I knew of an area that several folks were baiting. The area was eat up with grizzly, I was told that the bears were being influenced by bait and even though I did not have a bait site it was not legal to hunt them.

    As always do your own research, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

    Sometimes when we start reading between the lines, we end up signing on one....

    Steve

  9. #9
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Steve you are correct. Now lets see many like to walk that line..... Maybe it's just the logical woman brain thinking all time, but when I have a question about a regulation, I sit back and think...Hummm, would I like to be the one having to explain that one to a Trooper?.....Not worth it as far as I'm concerned.


    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    This subject came up a while back and I ask F&G about it in Fairbanks. I was told that as long as bears are being influenced by the bait and you are aware that baiting is or has been going on in the area then it is still considered baiting. I knew of an area that several folks were baiting. The area was eat up with grizzly, I was told that the bears were being influenced by bait and even though I did not have a bait site it was not legal to hunt them.

    As always do your own research, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

    Sometimes when we start reading between the lines, we end up signing on one....

    Steve
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Circle, AK.
    Posts
    616

    Default bait stations

    I've run across a few bait stations while snowmachining where they leave the barrels out all year and weren't one mile from the road, I would imagine they weren't registered as I didn't see a registration hanging anywhere but they were obviously a bait station with a treestand set up in front of a barrel chained to a tree, one even had two stations within 50 yds of each other........I figured one for the parent and one for a kid or something. According to the regs this isn't legal but I didn't call F&G about any of them. I think If they're still there this year I will.

  11. #11
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    I've run across a few bait stations while snowmachining where they leave the barrels out all year and weren't one mile from the road, I would imagine they weren't registered as I didn't see a registration hanging anywhere but they were obviously a bait station with a treestand set up in front of a barrel chained to a tree, one even had two stations within 50 yds of each other........I figured one for the parent and one for a kid or something. According to the regs this isn't legal but I didn't call F&G about any of them. I think If they're still there this year I will.
    While leaving the barrels out all year is against the law I can't find where any of your other claims are actual violations. You found bait sites within a mile of the road because they only have to be 1/4 mile off of one. I couldn't actually find anything that identified exactly what land area a bait site consists of or how many barrels could be used on it. If a "bait site" can legally be 50ydsx50yds and there isn't a limit to number of barrels then I would expect two barrels that close together and hunt-able from the same stand would equate to one "site". I can think of lots of benefit to have multiple barrels a close distance to each other. Am I wrong?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Circle, AK.
    Posts
    616

    Default bait station

    my mistake it is 1/4 mile off the rd., I was mainly stating that leaving their barrells out all year was illegal and I don't see anything wrong with people hunting near their friends or family although I think that when you register them don't they have to be a certain distance from another bait station?

  13. #13
    Member MNViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    746

    Default

    I feel I could explain killing a bear while walking near or thru a recently closed bait site. I could not explain sitting in a stand over the recently closed bait site.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I feel I could explain killing a bear while walking near or thru a recently closed bait site. I could not explain sitting in a stand over the recently closed bait site.

    That is how I see it also......

  15. #15
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    my mistake it is 1/4 mile off the rd., I was mainly stating that leaving their barrells out all year was illegal and I don't see anything wrong with people hunting near their friends or family although I think that when you register them don't they have to be a certain distance from another bait station?

    no there is no distance requirment in fact you and i and every other poster can register the same location..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    [/B]
    no there is no distance requirment in fact you and i and every other poster can register the same location..

    So......it is a illegal act to use someones bait station without their permission, and your lic.# recorded on their notice posting. HOWEVER: you can register the same site or 80 yards away, then allow them do all of the heavy/expensive work, and you just throw out a few slices of bread. And because you know they are only there on weekends, you can legally (If not morally/ethically) enjoy the fruits of another mans labor.......

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valley trash.....and proud of it.
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Gee, according to some of you, all of SC is locked up until the 1st of july.

    Can someone show me in writing where you cant hunt after the bait site is legally closed? I understand if it is still marked but if the registered owner has pulled his license and cleaned it up...its fair game.

    Remember, to close a site, you do legally have to remove all signs of the bait....so legally there shouldnt be any scent whatsoever. that even includes digging up the soil if it contains any form of the bait. realistically we know that isnt possible but the law states everything has to be removed.

    Folks, use common sense. if a site is legally closed there isnt a judge or jury that would convict you. I dont care what a certain trooper says. cops cant be the expert on every law written, besides some follow there beliefs more than the law (no digs against LEO's, but some interpret the law in there own head).

  18. #18
    Member Marc Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    So that I don't show up at this site on a blotter report, I don't hunt my bait site or any bait site after the June 30 closing date regardless of whether the site is "closed" or not.

    That's the safe thing to do.

    I keep a relatively clean bait site and don't have much cleanup to do at the close of season, just drag my barrel out on a sled and pick up any litter, regardless of how small.

    That's the right thing to do.

    I'm sure bears visit it after the closing date, but I don't know that because I've never been there to verify it. I basically lose interest in black bears once the season is over.

    Taylor

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    So that I don't show up at this site on a blotter report, I don't hunt my bait site or any bait site after the June 30 closing date regardless of whether the site is "closed" or not.

    That's the safe thing to do.

    I keep a relatively clean bait site and don't have much cleanup to do at the close of season, just drag my barrel out on a sled and pick up any litter, regardless of how small.

    That's the right thing to do.

    I'm sure bears visit it after the closing date, but I don't know that because I've never been there to verify it. I basically lose interest in black bears once the season is over.

    Taylor

    Yes, all of that is neat and clean. But the question had to do with several guys on the Hope Road pulling their station three weeks early. And the endless supply of PM's I get about, "where can someone find bears". So, if I told them go here, or there (My knowing that it "WAS" a bait station, but is now pulled/closed, is the person who went there violating any know law.....?

  20. #20
    Member Marc Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    AGL - I hear you.

    I think we have a leg to stand on if we take a black bear on Hope Road, for instance, and although I know there are bait stations on Hope road somewhere, I've never been to one and can't take a person to one. Bear gets dragged out and checked in and nothing comes of it.

    On the other hand, you get checked by a Trooper on the way back to the truck and he wants to know if you shot it as a result of bait past or present. You state "No, officer althought I know there are bait stations on this road somewhere, I have no idea to the whereabouts of one, and the idea was to take a spot-and-stalk bear on Hope Road. That is what I did." He'd probably then have to prove that I know where a bait station is on Hope Road and in the vicinity of my shot on the bear. Still should be okay.

    But if I hunt within a mile of a bait station that I know is there, and the bear is inbound or outbound and not just munching blueberries, I'm guilty and I know it.

    If I had a friend whom I wanted to get a black bear, I would not take him to either Hope Road or any dense cluster baiting area as the chance of taking a nice bear is diminished. Instead I'd take him to some out-of-the-way drainage and we'd do some spotting and stalking.

    But like I said; I hear you. It's pretty touch-and-go once the authorities get involved, but it shouldn't be.

    Taylor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •