Thread: Dall sheep bullet selection

Default Dall sheep bullet selection

Ok everyone,
    What do you use for sheep?

I realize they are not tough to put down and your shots "could" be at long ranges. I'm shooting my .270 Wby Mag. I'm thinking I'll use my 160 gr Nosler Partitions.
    Any others worth considering? I know there are lots out there but want to hear from those who have done it already........
    I don't want to waste any meat but want a bullet with a good BC as well.

Bears are also a possibility until we get in the high country so a well constructed bullet could be needed enroute to the sheep.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
    Brian

Accubonds are fine. No tip distortion in the mag well due to recoil. Plenty good for bear and less drop, even in a 270. The Partitions are good too but they will get damaged in the well causing follow up shots to stray a bit.

My brothers 338WM really screws up the tips of the Partitions in the mag well. He took a nice Dall last year up in the Brooks with an Accubond that I loaded. In previous years he always used Partitions.

Bears are high up too, don't let your guard down.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC RET View Post
    Ok everyone,
    What do you use for sheep?

I realize they are not tough to put down and your shots "could" be at long ranges. I'm shooting my .270 Wby Mag. I'm thinking I'll use my 160 gr Nosler Partitions.
    Any others worth considering? I know there are lots out there but want to hear from those who have done it already........
    I don't want to waste any meat but want a bullet with a good BC as well.

Bears are also a possibility until we get in the high country so a well constructed bullet could be needed enroute to the sheep.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
    Brian
    I shot a very large (185 B&C, approx 300 lb) Rocky Mtn Bighorn ram with a 7mm RM pushing 160 NP's @ 3000 fps @ about 150 yds. He was dead on the first shot but didn't know it. I put 2 more into the same place in his ribs but he just stood there looking at me after the other two rams and a ewe ran off. I put the fourth through his spine and he toppled over. They were very accurate, leaving about nickle to quarter size exit holes.

If I had to do all over again, I would use 150 E-Tips for batter BC and velocity for a long range edge in sheep country - especially open Dall sheep country.

With the 270 Wthby mag, other than a custon bullet, I would probably opt for loading a 130 E-Tip. I haven't used the E-Tips on game yet on game yet but they shown good accuracy, velocity and expansion from the ones I've shot from my 300 WSM and recovered from my 300 RUM.

Whatever you choose, with just about any modern bullet offiering you have to select from, there ain't much reason for not bagging yer critter if you're in shape for sheep.... eh.....