Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My scott Hudson bay!!!!

Default My scott Hudson bay!!!!

Well my long wait for a boat came to a sudden conclusion this week! Fate landed a beautifully maintained Hudson bay right in our lap. Couple of months before we planed, completely outfitted instead of just the hull and no side trip to Canada, things worked out nearly perfectly! I need to make a spray skirt and motor cover ASAP do to my lack of a garage but the boat is set up exactly as I would have done it right down to the mounts for the rod holders. Tracy and I are very happy. we should have the freighter wet in about 4 hours!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

So how stable is a scott hudson bay freighter?

This stable!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Love is such a limited word to describe my feelings for this boat! I had so much fun running it around the lake I never bothered to fish. Quickly discovered that standing is the ticket for me, like surfing with a motor. Also didn't take long to realise I'm going to prefer running rivers and bigger water than finger lake.
    BHA Member

Default lookin' good

What other canoe can you stand on the gunwale?

Post details of the skirt-making please.

Also consider a tiller extension if you don't yet have one. Mine was a bit overpriced but is carbon fiber and can't be beat.

Rick - Looks SWEET! How much water do you need to run? Does it have a motor lift?

Mike

When I ran it with a lift & a 8 HP I could raise the motor bottom of skag to the bottom of the hull and It did not cavitate! We did a lot of creek running on Kenai lakes and often stepped out in about 3" of water it will run shallow! No lift on present 20HP could
    not find one that I was comfortable with the 115# 4 stroke 20HP. For trailering.

Default trailering with motor

Last fall a buddy followed me out the Glenn and told me that when I hit those frost heaves in the Glenallen area my motor was jumping about badly, really putting a strain on my transom. So I don't trailer it with the motor attached anymore.

My motor (4 stroke Tohatsu 15) is likely the identical weight but I thought it was 124#. And likely my Scott's transom is identical too.

I have a tiller extension but it's a bit too short, I'm going to do a quick modification till I find the "perfect one" for me. Not sure about a lift, going to have to give it some thought, did bottom out a few times on the little su today, but I'm not at all sure I want to balance the weight of that motor further out. Leaving the transom unlocked and going at a reasonable speed seemed to work.

Mike with the motor in the "low water" position I need about 6-8 inches, 3 if the motor is up! If the motor is down in the normal operating position about a foot is all I seem to need.
    BHA Member

The most unexpected thing about the freighter has been peoples reaction to it. We had 4 people ask us about it today, first thing out of there mouth "thats the biggest canoe I have ever seen!" Second is usually advice about what it can or can't do........ya just said you have never seen a canoe that big, lotsa value in that bit of advice!
    BHA Member

Default moving motor rearward is bad, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I'm not at all sure I want to balance the weight of that motor further out.
    Yes, the type of lift that moves your motor rearward a foot is bad. The (John) Klingle lift does not, and Pete Weaver has John's old jigs.

My summer is pretty overbooked up already so its likely it'll be another season before I get my lift; but I won't let another winter pass without getting a good one.

I agree that the Scott's do great without lift, but as with all fun tools (man toys) we push them to the limit, and when the water gets skinnier and skinnier, we want to keep going. The lift is what lets that happen and lets you go all the way to the limitation of the hull and its load (coupled with its loading to balance the boat of course).

Pete will need to actually engineer the first Scott lift he makes, and after that he can just do it (easy for ME to say with him doing it ), so.....

Are there any of you other Scott owners that want to go in on a few lifts from Pete this next winter? Please PM me or respond here.

And John (Klingle), if you're reading this, I would of course greatly value any input you'd care to provide on this subject; you're the king of lifts man.

For those that keep their motor off for transport, where do you store your ouboard? Anyone store it on the floor of their canoe?

Default my take on lifts

Back when I ran freight canoes, as did many who lived out here, we always thought a stationary "lift" was the way to go. Just a piece of wood bolted onto the transom at the proper height, with two diagonal braces bolted onto the gunwales for more support for the larger motors.

Saved on weight, didn't have to use your other arm to mess with the lift etc. Just never found a reason to have a lower lift setting, even when I was running the Yukon.

Default motor

Store is a big word
    # 1 does is this mean store for the winter / when not in use ?
    OR
    # 2 going down the road ?

going down the road it should not bounce in the canoe, that is a lot of weight bounceing around in there, if it bounces on the transom it will bounce around in the canoe [DAMAGE TO MOTOR / CANOE] trunk or back of truck would be best I think, don't want some 80+ LBS bounceing around in my canoe [DAMAGE CONTROL] if you do travel around with it in the canoe do tie it down so it don't bounce as most trailer do bounce going down the road

SID

Default flatbed trailer

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    For those that keep their motor off for transport, where do you store your ouboard? Anyone store it on the floor of their canoe?
    I don't have a fancy nice canoe trailer like Rick does. I use a flatbed trailer that I covered with astroturf. I back the back of the trailer into the water without putting my 4 hubs under water and the canoe just slides right off into the water easy. The rest of the flatbed can carry other things that I dont' want bouncing about inside the canoe, like firewood & gas & such.

The outboard is strapped down to the flatbed next to the canoe, and chained to it with a lock.

Default using just a block of wood bolted to transom as a lift

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Saved on weight, didn't have to use your other arm to mess with the lift etc. Just never found a reason to have a lower lift setting, even when I was running the Yukon.
    I have thought about that. Mainer has tried to talk me into that design also.

I worry about that because my Albany doesn't trim out its front to back weight as well as a HB despite my loading of all heavy stuff in the bow, sometimes a passenger in the bow (which varies between 35 and 280 pounds), and sometimes a few hundred pounds of rocks in milk crates in the bow.

Which would lead me to believe that I would have to change height according to my load. And it seems like I'll get more bite/push going across the deep water lakes with the prop lower (Is this true?).

Since I run a heavy 4 stroke, it would be a pain to move that block of wood to a higher/lower set of holes in the transom when in the field, as Mainer has suggested that I do. Of course, he's one heckuva lot stronger than I (and most people) am/are.

Also, Mainer cautions me that a Klingle lift means I won't be adding a stingray to the motor, since the lift would allow the motor to come up into the air at speed.

Suggestions?

I ran the Hydro-Shield on my HB and my Grumman Sportboat for years. I found with the right trim I could lower the bow and run shallower waters. With a lift on both boats.

Congrats! Great looking canoe!
    Proud to be an American!

Thumbs up What a great boat

Congrats Rick..
    you going boating on the soltice?
    have fun, and don't be a stranger..
    you guys and your Scott boats are welcome anytime to come show them off to me..
    I need to see and talk to the guys using them..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Check out this 21' Hudson Bay with trailer and 9.9 Honda for $5800...only one problem. It's in Maine. sale-hfx8f-1763797949@craigslist.org
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Max! Boy you know just when to say hello! Tracy and I aren't sure yet what we are doing for solstice, tons of work needs to be done and I am a bit under the weather. I'd really like to stop by and see you soon, want to try dip netting from the Scott? Planing on set netting next year. Running her on finger lake really made me yearn for bigger waters!
    BHA Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast