Thread: Where are the kings?

Default Where are the kings?

Where are the kings? king runs sure are poor this season, even here on the Kanektok river where historically they were always stable. Now it is June 13th and locals who go out in the bay to subsistence fish are coming back with reports that they are only getting a king a day on average, some of the lucky ones are getting a hand full. mostly jack kings too.

Folks who fish on the river are not doing good at all, so far to date I heard of only 2 kings being caught by anglers, and they were jacks. Worst season ever.

A guide company on the river just flew in big plane load of clients, heard there were 20 onboard and man they are gonna be disappointed (pissed) when they go out on the river and there are no kings to be caught. Guess they will just have to be satisfied with smelling the fresh air, swatting mosquitos and bs'ng in camp about the poor king run this season. Personally I wouldn't spend that kinda money if there were no kings running, if I were them I would ask for a full refund.

Bet the bottom and mid-water trawling fleet got a bunch of our kings this past winter.

in my cooler

In the water.

I am sure they are in the water but not many at all here in our waters, wouldn't mind a few in my cooler as well and on my fishrack. Will see what the next few tides will bring in, hopefully the run will hit soon. Seem to be real late this season compared to previous seasons. Could be a lot of reasons why they are not here yet. Nice pics of salmon by the way, hopefully I will have a few pics to post later as well. Can't wait to get my first hookup to a big king salmon.

According to past fishing reports most of the S. Western rivers like the Kanektok, Nushagak, and Togiak don't start fishing well until the third week in June through early July.

May need to start investigating some of the less talked about Penninsula rivers.

Subsistence fishermen have been going out into the bay and fishing daily most are reporting that they are not doing well at all, local residents have asked ADF&G Comm Fish to not open the commercial fishery until subsistence needs are met first. Regardless ADF&G has announced that a commercial opener is scheduled for June 15th. If ADF&G would just hold off on the commercial fishery for a week or so we would be that much closer to getting our subsistence needs met. Also more kings would make it into the river for escapement. It would have been a win win situation for all users, including the anglers.

Close commercial? you kidding? Our ADFG would sooner jump off a bridge than close any commercial opener...

Well they are not running any better in the Su, Ship Creek, Eagle River, Kenia, Eklutna Tailrace, Anchor Point, etc etc...hopefully it is just a "late run"....my buddy went down to the Russian for opening day and had better luck on Bings Landing than the Russian....he called me today after just walking the Russian and said the river was up and saw no Reds, even trout...said there were a lot of fisherman but no one was catching anything

Bet ADF&G is getting a lot of pressure from the Processors to open'er up. Locals wanted ADF&G to monitor the subsistence harvest closely then when the catch rates improve have a community meeting and ask the locals when the best time would be to open up the commercial season.
    Been reading reports and finding out our kings numbers are always below average every year. Sure wish our runs were strong like they used to be back in the 90s. Man fishing was really good back then here on the river and lots of hookups all throughout the day. Last few years river fishing has been really slow and the kings are getting smaller as the years go by. We used to catch big kings in the 90s some as big as 50-60 lbs. Now big kings are rare, never hardly hear of anglers getting fish like that anymore. Sure do miss the good ol' days when the king salmon runs were healthy and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Been reading reports and finding out our kings numbers are always below average every year. Sure wish our runs were strong like they used to be back in the 90s. Man fishing was really good back then here on the river and lots of hookups all throughout the day. Last few years river fishing has been really slow and the kings are getting smaller as the years go by. We used to catch big kings in the 90s some as big as 50-60 lbs. Now big kings are rare, never hardly hear of anglers getting fish like that anymore. Sure do miss the good ol' days when the king salmon runs were healthy and strong.
    It's a shame to hear the Kanektok is slow right now. I was lucky enough to visit last year and was amazed by it. It's a special place. I hope the king fishing picks up. When do the chum start to move in?

Best,
    Green

Guided on the river for about 10 years and from my experience we would start catching chums about 3rd week of June while backtrolling for kings, no real numbers in the river until last week in June though then usually steady runs throughout July. Nothing like fishing for bright chum fresh into the river, strong fish when they are fresh in the river. Sure hope the kings hit soon, wind is picking up and it started raining so maybe with a lil more fresh water flushing outta the drainage it may bring them in, hopefully this coming week. Kings sure are late though and folks are getting really concerned right now.

Guided on the river for about 10 years and from my experience we would start catching chums about 3rd week of June while backtrolling for kings, no real numbers in the river until last week in June though then usually steady runs throughout July. Nothing like fishing for bright chum fresh into the river, strong fish when they are fresh in the river. Sure hope the kings hit soon, wind is picking up and it started raining so maybe with a lil more fresh water flushing outta the drainage it may bring them in, hopefully this coming week. Kings sure are late though and folks are getting really concerned right now.
    I hope the kings hit as well, fisheries up and down the west coast are not faring well this year for Chinooks/Kings at all. In my area (I live in western Canada) the early spring king runs into the Fraser are effectively too small now to carry on, biologists are starting to say the runs are over into some of the tribs off the Thompson river as a result. I agree about the chum, awesome fish, from a sport fishing point of view they can be as fun as kings. I read on on lodge's site who fly fishes the river a lot that they only caught 2 kings yesterday, hopefully that picks up.

-green

The report of the tent lodge is not very good for this time of the year, the 2nd week used to be a good week for us when we were guiding on the river, 3rd was better. I am going out subsistence fishing today with my son and daughter, got a lil wind blowing outta the south and overcast skys, tide is just moving in over the shallows. Hopefully fish will be moving in the estuary and into the river. Will give the river a test run this week as well, gotta get out my Kwikfish and Magnum Wigglewarts and clean off last years dried up fish slime off of'em. Heard a lil WD40 cleans them up pretty good, also puts a lil shine back on them as well.

The report of the tent lodge is not very good for this time of the year, the 2nd week used to be a good week for us when we were guiding on the river, 3rd was better. I am going out subsistence fishing today with my son and daughter, got a lil wind blowing outta the south and overcast skys, tide is just moving in over the shallows. Hopefully fish will be moving in the estuary and into the river. Will give the river a test run this week as well, gotta get out my Kwikfish and Magnum Wigglewarts and clean off last years dried up fish slime off of'em. Heard a lil WD40 cleans them up pretty good, also puts a lil shine back on them as well.
    Good luck, I hope it pans out for you.

Caught 9 kings yesterday, was a good day for me and my son and daughter. As soon as we went out the wind started picking up outta the south to 20-25 mph, was wavy and choppy when the tide started coming into the shallows. First set for a few hrs produced nothing at all, second set near the shore was better. Lucky for me I got out in my boat and picked up a few fish for my family. As we were heading home on the river I was looking at fishracks all along the riverbank and only one of them had a handful of salmon hanging on one cross-pole.
    Anglers from the camp I mentioned in an earlier post were on the gravelbars as we motored along to my upriver docking spot and most were just standing around, very few fishing.
    Today there is a commercial fishing opener and quite a few boats are out fishing, even folk from other communities are fishing here in our waters. Now that there is an excerted effort by the commercial fisherman they are gonna catch what ever kings were building up in the bay, meaning less available for the subsistence fishermen tomorrow and less for the river's escapement, less for the anglers too.
    If folks would just start to realize there is more to our diminishing fish resources than just making money off of the sales.
    If ADF&G Comm Fish would just have held off on the commercial fisheries for a week it would have allowed our people to take care of their subsistence needs first and would also allow more fish to make it in the river for escapement before opening up the commercial season and basically allowing our king salmon to be sold off to some foreign market.