Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian River Rainbows

Default Russian River Rainbows

Got some family in town and we're heading to the Russian for 6 nights. Hopefully the sockeye show up in the next few days, in the mean time we will be stalking rainbows. Anyone care to advise what works best right now??

I have a decent selection of leeches, bead-head nymphs, smolt, flesh and eggs. Anything working better than others I will better my selection of that variety.

Cheers, heres to some chubby rainbows while we wait for the sockeye.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

From what I have learned in the past few weeks being surrounded by fishing guides, beads and flesh flies are the way to go.

As far as beads go, i would fish a 10mm bead with a light color to it. Lots of transparency like a fresh egg. If that does not work go down to a 6mm bead to replicate a rainbow egg. But have this one a little more milky looking as you want it to look like an egg that has been in the water a while and has had time to start developing.

Flesh flies-you want it to look like a nice new piece of flesh.

Try fishing around places where people are cleaning their catch if you can. The fish will be crazy around there.

Hope this helps.

Can't use beads yet. Flyfishing only waters. Small globugs, microflesh, beadhead (epoxy-back golden stones, princes, brassies, haresears, zugbugs, pheasant tales etc.) Caddis, mayfly, stonefly dries work also.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

If you like using beads, just melt them to the hook. Then its considered a fly.

Default thanks for the info

thanks for the info guys, I will throw everything we have at em...assuming people are cleaning sockeye I figured bright red flesh will be the ticket I am sure. I like to chase them upriver more, probably bead head nymphs etc will be the way to go.

thanks again!!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

please pinch your barbs!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

A buddy of mine just got back from the weekend down there....no luck at the Russian....he said he didnt see any Reds or even trout!! He did fish at Bings Landing though, landed 2 legal Reds, and had 20 illegal hook ups..a lot of fisherman were down on the RR but no one was pulling in anything...may be sometime before they are coming in.

Question 20 illegal hookups?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoedawg View Post
    A buddy of mine just got back from the weekend down there....no luck at the Russian....he said he didnt see any Reds or even trout!! He did fish at Bings Landing though, landed 2 legal Reds, and had 20 illegal hook ups..a lot of fisherman were down on the RR but no one was pulling in anything...may be sometime before they are coming in.
    Sounds like your buddy needs to take the old "Kenai Twitch" aka snagging out of the end of his drift! Even fishing with dozens of fish pooled in front of me I've never had that many foul hooked compared to mouth hookups.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_sierra View Post
    Sounds like your buddy needs to take the old "Kenai Twitch" aka snagging out of the end of his drift! Even fishing with dozens of fish pooled in front of me I've never had that many foul hooked compared to mouth hookups.

Agreed....I am not a fan of fisherman who won’t try for a legal hook up in the mouth....it’s pretty amazing to see how many fish are pierced and torn by hooks from improper technique….I’ve caught fish before with well over 5 hooks in their fins, tails, bellies etc….it gets insane…

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    please pinch your barbs!
    What if they want to keep and eat one? Oh my god, did I just say that!

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    What if they want to keep and eat one? Oh my god, did I just say that!
    Then maybe they are fishing in the wrong water, if a person wants to eat trout they need to catch them where retention is legal, and even then it's good policy to pinch the barb. Say you want to keep a pinner trout (sub 16") from the Kenai, your probably gonna have to sort through some that are too big to keep.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

I've found by pinching barbs this allows for a deeper hook set...less resistance equals more pentration. From there, as long as you maintain tension on the line then the barb is actually not even a factor.

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    Then maybe they are fishing in the wrong water, if a person wants to eat trout they need to catch them where retention is legal, and even then it's good policy to pinch the barb. Say you want to keep a pinner trout (sub 16") from the Kenai, your probably gonna have to sort through some that are too big to keep.
    If I am not mistaken, the regs for the Russian state 1 per day-1 in possession, must be less then 16". Sounds like retention is legal there. In my opinion the Kenai and tribs could use a little thinning of the sub 16" class anyway. If I were going to worry about trout mortality, I would concern myself with using too light of gear for what you are fishing for. The heros fishing the Kenai with a 4 wt and pinched barbs will do infinitely more damage than me with a 8 wt and barbed hooks. I have only been flyswatting for 25 yrs, what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    The heros fishing the Kenai with a 4 wt and pinched barbs will do infinitely more damage than me with a 8 wt and barbed hooks. I have only been flyswatting for 25 yrs, what do I know.

I would agree... Trying to catch fish on the lightest tackle possible is fun, but not acceptable if the fish is to be released.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Default Pinched barbs

There is a reason why many of the trout have torn up lips ... it is my guess that it is because of barbs not being pinched down .

They will cause more damage on occasions to a fish than a hook w/ its barb pinched down, I don't care how much experience anyone has. But you can have a good full day of not harming fish with the barb pinched down.

Its can also be about evening up the odds for the fish, giving it a chance to free itself... jumping, shaking head, turning, etc.. Can a barb be considered a 'crutch' for someone that loses a fish because they can't keep the line tight when it jumps and get free?

I have been guilty, and ashamed, of some small tears from using a #12 nymph by not pinching the barb down when I first get out. After that, I learned the lesson the hard way- and not on my expense. Something has to give to get the hook out- either the hook or the flesh. Yes, I have lost some potential of 30" 'bows in my life because the hook came loose.

When people get caught by a hook... why do they pinch the barb down so they can back it out??? Maybe because they don't want to get all torn up and bleed.

People can do what they want, but, I recommend and would appreciate EVERYONE to pinch their barbs down, cut the line if the hook is too deep instead of taking a chance of it bleeding to death. Do not land the fish by dragging it up on the bank. Sheesh!!! This is turning into a lection!

Just my 2 cents.

Default Are the trout there in bigger numbers?

Oh, by the way... how has the trout fishing been this past week?

Years ago I would catch countless fish in a 12 hour day, but last year and this year (been gone for a while), seems like the Russian trout fishing has diminished in the number of fish (before the 2nd run of reds).

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeopen View Post
    Oh, by the way... how has the trout fishing been this past week?

Years ago I would catch countless fish in a 12 hour day, but last year and this year (been gone for a while), seems like the Russian trout fishing has diminished in the number of fish (before the 2nd run of reds).

I still see alot of fish. After the first couple of weeks they do get full, get lock jaw and are a bit freaked out from the pounding they do take. I have seen more than one red wrangler mistake a big bow for a red and start the grip and rip. I will also explain to them politely that it is not a red. Most of the time they are so "wired" from seeing fish they dont realize it. My counts have gone down over the past few years but I dont think the fish population has to much. Sit up at the falls marker and toss eggs out. You dont see a bow around. 20 seconds later it is a feeding frenzy from 10 inches to 24+ inches
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Like Chuck says, they are there, they are always there, they are just harder to trick because they get pounded. And my personel experience is they are easier to trick the further down from the clear water you get because the visability isn't as good, amongst other things I am sure.

Saw a guy yesterday just up river from the cottonwood hole with a 20+ bow on a stringer.....
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Saw a guy yesterday just up river from the cottonwood hole with a 20+ bow on a stringer.....

See how does he not get busted showing that fish off. He should be on a stringer
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast