Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladner Pots for Shrimp

Default Ladner Pots for Shrimp

Bought a Used Hewes Craft, It came with 4 Ladner pots. I do not think I have every thing? Please might some one send photos of there pots? I think there should be some sort of tunnel in? The ring holes have seen shrimp escaping at the surface and If I throw the wife in 1 more time I believe I'll be the bait next set!
    Louie

There should be bungies that go between the rings that make them into a tunnel. So each ring should have one bungie on it it with a hook on the other end. Hook that onto the next ring then bungie from that ring goes to the next ring, this will create the tunnel. Hope this helps

Default Tunnel?

The d-rings are so tight as is the mesh around the cage there doesn't appear to be any give? I think I'm still missing something?
    Louie

Default Hmm?

OK, don't close up the bottom DUH! Run the bungee ring to ring then draw up the bottom?
    Louie

Once you get it figured out, I would suggest that you take a very close look at the regs and make sure your pots are legal before going fishing. Some older pots are no longer legal due to changes in mesh size restrictions and such. They're probably fine, but you'll want to make sure.

I fished Ladner pots in very close proximity to some square ones from Sprotman's Warehouse and found the round ones did not catch worth a darn--I mean almost NOTHING compared with the square pots. Anybody else have much luck with those round pots?

Quote Originally Posted by akpfeiff View Post
    I fished Ladner pots in very close proximity to some square ones from Sprotman's Warehouse and found the round ones did not catch worth a darn--I mean almost NOTHING compared with the square pots. Anybody else have much luck with those round pots?
    I actually do better with the round pots and much prefer them to any of the hard wire traps.
    Not to mention they take up a third of the room on the boat.

Default round = better

Run them on the same string as the square ones and you will then tell. You probably set on barren ground.

I have several different types of pots. Rated best to worst they are:

3 round donaldson pots
    3 hard square pots
    1 collapsible rectangle pot from potbuilder
    1 collapsible rectangle pot from BJ

The round outfish almost 10-1 from the BJ collapsible on the same string during 3 shrimping trips this year for me. They stack much easier (I ride a Zodiac) and take up less space and are a lot easier working with when rebaiting and emptying - least for me.

Default Round is good!

When I run a 4 pot set, I use a square pot weighted with bricks as my anchor, followed by 3 round pots and always have more shrimp in the round ones. I'm getting ready to dump the square one for a round and will use a real anchor to set my line.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

All of Donaldson's pots are "Ladner Traps" I have eight of the 37" pots. They fish great. The tunnels are tight to get hooked up, there supposed to be tight. I have added a 3/4" smooth roundstock steel hoop around the outside edge of the bottom of the pot. I bought and had the hoops bent to exactly fit at ASG Fab shop on Klatt Rd and down Olive a couple hundred yards on the left. Here's pics of tunnels ready to go.

Here's a pic of my steel hoop, ready to be sown on with seine twine.

Here's a close-up of the Ladner Traps tag and my steel hoop. By the way each 3/4" steel hoop adds 15 Ibs. to the bottom of the pot. That's a conciderable amount of weight to add, but they sink fast and stay put when they hit bottom.

Buy the way, when you go buy Donaldson's, make sure and pick up some spare hooks and rubber straps for the tunnels and bottom closure strap, they have plenty of these in stock, or you can make your own.

[QUOTE=Sockeye Salm;754722]Here's a close-up of the Ladner Traps tag and my steel hoop. By the way each 3/4" steel hoop adds 15 Ibs. to the bottom of the pot. That's a conciderable amount of weight to add, but they sink fast and stay put when they hit bottom.
    (/QUOTE)

Just a thought do you paint the steel bar or leave it plain? I was thinking it would rust and could make a mess on the boat from the rust.
    Looks nice though and an easy way to add weight to the pots.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Just a thought do you paint the steel bar or leave it plain? I was thinking it would rust and could make a mess on the boat from the rust.
    Looks nice though and an easy way to add weight to the pots.
    I've had the steel hoops on 5 pots for a year and a half now and have no problem. Just a thin coating of rust. I've seen 7' X 7' crab pots that were 20 years old and the rust is not a problem. That said though, I did think about painting them or better yet have them Rino lined, but decided to go without. I think the first problem I will have is the line that wraps around the bottom ring that holds the web on may rot out, but that will take many years.

Default Try the weighted rope

Donalson's also sells some weighted rope, not line. I think it may be the stuff on the bottom side of a gillnet. It is east to zippy tie to the bottom of the pot and allot easier to take off and on if need be. I usually just add it to the pot closest to the buoy.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Donalson's also sells some weighted rope, not line. I think it may be the stuff on the bottom side of a gillnet. It is east to zippy tie to the bottom of the pot and allot easier to take off and on if need be. I usually just add it to the pot closest to the buoy.
    Wow... I love these posts....Like my old Norwegian skipper always told me......rope is what farmers use.....and line is what fisherman use. What you describe as weighted rope is actually leaded polly LINE. I use three shots (150' per shot) of floating poly LINE, and then two 150' shots of leaded poly sinking line.

You will learn Grasshopper.............it just takes time.

Post lead line

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Do you mean lead line? Thats whats on the Bottom of a commercial gillnet. It is lead encased in a braided rope (line) sheath.
    Would probably work good on those round pots. But might be spendier than his hoops. Some of the people I know also use chain Zip tied around the bottom of their pots.
    I have some of Potbuilders pots and got some rebar scraps for free from a local steel dealer. They had a lot of shorter cutoff pieces and they let me pick out the ones I wanted from 6 full drums they were sending out for recycling.
    Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 06-16-2010 at 18:53. Reason: spelling error
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Yes lead line

Excuse my ignorance

Default Toss them

Toss them overboard and buy some of Steve's (Potbuilder) pots. They are far superior...........

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Toss them overboard and buy some of Steve's (Potbuilder) pots. They are far superior...........
    Thank You ! Thank You !
    I'm not going to get in the middle of this one all i got to say is all pots will catch shrimp some just catch them better than others

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast