Thread: jon boat to airboat

Default jon boat to airboat

i was wonderin if any one has done this and has any pointers i have a 20ft. monark i was thinking or putting my hopped up v6 stock car motor in it and building a carrier set up for the prop shaft and going belt drive so i can mount the motor low for a better cg any one tried it?

Default I haven't tried it

But I am building my own airboat. Part of the problem you will face is a narrow bottom (airboats are rear heavy this is why most are 7-8 feet wide). Also lack of a sloped chine will keep you from slipping around when turning and might possibly be dangerous. Just a couple thoughts. I do not have a whole lot of time in airboats. So take what I say with a cup of salt.

regards

In the passed that was the method a person used to keeping the engine low in a boat.
    With all the problems of finding parts and designing the system and using a boat that is not design for airboating, I would not do it. You will spend one year building and the next 5 working out the bugs.
    Another problem is a v6 stock car engine is not a airboat engine, yes it will work, just not very good.

yea i think its only a 4ft. bottom so that would probly be pretty tippy

There is a vw engine on ebay right now that is one of the ones setup for a small airplane. It would be amuch better choice than the v6. I have done a similar setup in the past and welded additions onto teh boat in the rear to make it wider for more stabilization.

Truth of the matter is that you can do it and enjoy it, but do you really have that much time to give up? I had a lot of trial and error and it really isn't worth it. My waverunner jet into a flatbottom went much easier...

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    i was wonderin if any one has done this and has any pointers i have a 20ft. monark i was thinking or putting my hopped up v6 stock car motor in it and building a carrier set up for the prop shaft and going belt drive so i can mount the motor low for a better cg any one tried it?
    A friend had one like you're describing. Jon boats are narrow compared to an equal length air boat hull. My friend's boat sat really low in the rear as a result. It wouldn't skid around corners like typical air boats do. It must not have been to his liking because I sure didn't see him use it much.

Default Video

I have a good vidoe camera for your first run, sounds like great You Tube or Americas Funniest Video material.
    Ha Ha

Boat Modifications

Very few sailboats from the factory come equipped ready to sail away. If your destinations are across oceans rather than across the bay that is especially true. In our case we had a 30 page list of additions, modifications and spare parts to get Ventana ready for cruising. Outfitting a boat is similar to remodeling a home and the process is called "commissioning." For us it took 4 hectic months with ourselves and a crew first tearing Ventana apart to install gear and run wires everywhere and eventually putting it all back together again.