Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lake illiamna monster?

Default lake illiamna monster?

has anybody heard of or heard of sightings of the lake iliamna monster? any ideas out there on what it is? huge sturgeon??? pike???
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Default lake iliamna monster?

has anyone heard of the lake iliamna monster? any ideas on what it is? huge sturgeon? pike? nessie????
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Default Palraiyuk

Maybe it is the "palraiyuk". Yup'ik Eskimo Elders used to speak about these creatures back in the old days, story goes they use to live in lakes, marshes and creeks during ancient times when the climate was warmer. Back in the old days hunters used to draw the image of the palraiyuk on their qayaks and umiaks they drew them with 3 sets of legs, a wolf like mouth with many teeth and segmented stomachs. Palraiyuk also had long tails and a spiked back. Stories go back 2,000 years. Here in my area too the Elders used to tell us of a giant fish like skeleton that was found by our ancestors at the headwaters of our river. Many of our people know of these stories since they were passed down from one generation to the next.

A myth??

The Kraken?

Most obvious answer is a large sturgeon.

I've crossed the lake many times in the late fall and I would say that I have seen the monster and the monster is the lake.

Default Palraiyuk

Maybe it is the "palraiyuk". Yup'ik Eskimo Elders used to speak about these creatures back in the old days, story goes they use to live in lakes, marshes and creeks during ancient times when the climate was warmer. Back in the old days hunters used to draw the image of the palraiyuk on their qayaks and umiaks they drew them with 3 sets of legs, a wolf like mouth with many teeth and segmented stomachs. Palraiyuk also had long tails and a spiked back. Stories go back 2,000 years. Here in my area too the Elders used to tell us of a giant fish like skeleton that was found by our ancestors at the headwaters of our river. Many of our people know of these stories since they were passed down from one generation to the next.

What about the lakes fresh water seal population?
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/protectedre...ls_withrow.pdf
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Default Nothing heard & 1/2 of what's seen...

My grandpa always told me "don't believe anything you hear and only 1/2 of what you see..." (and he wasn't talking on TV or the Internet)

But... I've also learned a valuable lesson in my own experience - There is far more unknown than most are comfortable with admitting.

Happy reading/research...

http://www.alaskascienceoutreach.com...h_lake_iliamna

http://www.unknownexplorers.com/iliamnalakemonsters.php

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=10016

Unhappy

It can live in water or on land.Once when I was young and drank a lot it followed me home and I found it in my bed the next morning
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    It can live in water or on land.Once when I was young and drank a lot it followed me home and I found it in my bed the next morning
    Pike??Maybe, Sturgeon-Don't think so but when you throw in some "heavy drink" the possibilities are endless...

The lake iliamna monster is just another stupid wives tale told by the natives who live out there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Sturgeon - 1 popular thought

Quote Originally Posted by rawdogrichard View Post
    has anybody heard of or heard of sightings of the lake iliamna monster? any ideas out there on what it is? huge sturgeon??? pike???
    I believe there are many theories...one I have heard multiple times leads down the path of a very large sturgeon..or at least sturgeon-like

A highschool teacher I had told a story of the monster. They said that one summer (must have been in the 70's) there were numerous sightings so they thought they'd try to catch it. They made large treble hooks out of rebar and baited with caribou quarters and floated this with a bouy and had anchor line tied to a tree. They never caught it, but supposedly one of the baits were hit and the treble hook straightned out.

Ive seen some seriously UGLY pictures of a big 3foot+ long mouth'd multi colored Cod looking fish jigged off the bottom by my friend Cory a few years back.

He caught 'em outta lake Illiamna, and called 'em LI Monsters.......UGLY whatever they were..
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

There is/was a really big fish or something in a lake around here.
    Bones supposedly were close to 30ft.
    Have seen where they did lay but were all gone.
    It also tried to eat the tail of a float plane taking off.
    There is a legend about it eating a girl cleaning bou skins at the lake shore.

Default Ancient

Here in my part of Alaska elders used to tell us that when we are up at the lake to not cross the middle where the deepest darkest waters are, but to follow along the sides. Guess from the old stories as passed down from the ancient ones the middle of these lakes were where the largest palraiyuk would lie in wait for unwary prey.
    Maybe those bones you speak of badriverman were the remains of one of these ancient creatures of the lake from the time when the climate was warmer.
    Maybe the stories as told by the ancient ones about the palraiyuk are being told once again as the climate begins to change once again here in Alaska.

Nukalpiaq
    They will not cross the lake no matter what.
    Lake always has waves even when there is no wind.

Makes me wish my grandma was still alive to tell all the old stories.
    We still remember some.

My grandfather who lived into his mid 90s always called the people of long ago the ancient ones, he never referred to them as our ancestors. He said the stories are from their time and passed on throughout each consecutive generation, eventually to us. Reading old archaeology reports I found out there was a human presence up in our headwaters out here that dated back 8,000 years, this was based on carbon dating of stone spear points found at various rock quarries up at the lake and also isolated quarries back in the mountains. The palraiyuk stories I found out are 2,000 years old. So who know maybe the ancient ones really did see different species of creatures back then in their time, maybe our elders and their elders actually did see the bones of these creatures. "Relics from the past".

I think that it could be sturgeon.
    I doubt there is any thing prehistoric or mythical.

Default River Monsters

River Monsters did a show on this and it has aired several times. It is a White Sturgeon as the host of the show caught one over 7 feet long.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast