Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Coastal Bear Hunt

Default Spring Coastal Bear Hunt

Headed down to PWS to do some hunting and fishing. Jason and I headed out to the cabin with blue skies and calm seas. Which was nice because I was loaded for a GENTLEMANS style hunt. I timed our arrival so we got to the cabin on the high tide. We quickly unloaded and got the cabin in order. We headed out to set our shrimp gear and get it fishing. It seemed that there was a lot more folks shrimp fishing. After I found a spot we headed back to the cabin. We gathered up our hunting gear and headed out to do some scouting. We had just arrived at our hunting area when I spotted a Toad of a bear, he was eating in a slide about 400 yards up from sea level.
    I ask Jason if he wanted to make a try for him and he quickly said that he did. I made my way to shore, as we approached we discussed how he could best get to the bear. We had a great plan, however within minutes Jason had already taken water over his boots and was fighting his way up through the Devils Club and Alders.

Mean while I was back watching the show. Had my spotting scope out was watching the bear and trying to see Jason in the brush that was much thicker than it looked from shore. Jason was getting close and the bear must have heard him because he started looking straight down to where he was. I knew the jig was up. He would turn his head and look one way then the other. After a few minutes he bolted up the side of the mountain with what seemed like no effort at all. It took Jason a while to fight his way back down.

We continue scouting and exploring the river in my Jet Ranger. We were able to get way back into the valley and see some beautiful scenery.
    We worked our way back to the boat and found a spot to catch some rockfish for dinner

After we caught a couple we ran out and pulled the shrimp pots and headed back to camp with the seafood for dinner. Jason cleans the shrimp and I fillet the Rockies. I added both to an olive oil and fresh garlic marinade. Added some, lemon zest, hot sauce and a little butter. We made a roaring fire and told lies and what ifs about the one that got away. We enjoyed an adult beverage while the seafood marinated. I flash cooked the shrimp and fish and served it with a salad and fresh asparagus. After dinner we sat around the fire took in the amazing views and watched the eagles feed on the remains of our rock fish. We retired for the night, eager for what the next day would bring.

Want to go bear hunting with me next year? You get to cook.

Brian, I would welcome the chance to share a campfire with you anytime. I've gotten to the point that I enjoy the camping almost as much as the hunting. I've been told that I'm an Okay camp cook.

Steve

The next morning we headed out and before long we spotted another bear. I put Jason on shore and waited to hear a shot. The bear however was able to give Jason the slip and we got back to looking for another. We pulled my shrimp pots and rebaited. Potbuilder's shrimp pellets worked great and last well even on long soaks. I caught an Octopus and saved it for bait.

The weather remained amazing, we had some porpoises ride our bow wave for a while and enjoyed the variety of wildlife that calls PWS home.

The evening arrived and we decided to try our luck on land. We followed a hot trail for a while and found a spot to sit. Just as we start to leave Jason spots a bear on the trail to our left. The bear is close less than 15 steps, Jason decides to take him and fires a shot. Bears in tight on the ground are always fun and we make sure he is dead. We had a falling tide and it was almost dark. Jason drags the bear off the trail and we put his sweaty shirt over it and we retreat before the tide leaves us high and dry. We wait for the tide and head back to dress out the bear. We find the bear as we left it, Jason makes quick work of the skinning and within an hour we have him skinned and the meat in bags.

The day warms up quickly so we head to town to have his bear sealed and to care for the meat. While in Town we chatted with a couple forum members, I fine young Coast Guard Member and his family and another member that was having boat trouble. As soon as we got our chores done we headed back out to the cabin for dinner. For dinner we have some more shrimp, steak and grilled bear backstraps. The bear meat was incredible.

The heater in the cabin is not working right, we can hardly get it to stay lit. I start tinkering with it and discover that the fuel line was clogged. I cleanout the burner and it seams to be working good. With the cabin nice and toasty we head off to sleep. Before long the cabin is like a sauna and heater will not shut off. I go outside and shut off the fuel and open the windows until it cools off and get back to sleep.

Rep for a dude living the dream right there.

Default A Second

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Rep for a dude living the dream right there.
    I'll second that. Stid, I absolutely love your posts.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

The morning dawns with clear blue skies and calm winds. I get my tools and take the carb apart on the stove. I quickly see that the float was adjusted out of range and the float got stuck open. I'm sure as the fuel line became clogged the campers tried to adjust the flow higher until it became jammed. Before long the stove was working as it should. The wife was coming and I knew I had better have it working right. We tried some halibut fishing in a few spots but had no luck. With the full moon tides I did not want to try to make a long run to my best Halibut spot. We enjoyed camp and reminisced on our past hunts together. Jason is off to his next assignment and this was our last hunt together for awhile. We met on this forum and have became great friends. As the evening approached we loaded up and headed out to check a few spots. While glassing we spot a brown bear sow on the grass flats. The season was closed so we sat and watched her. Before long she takes off and I spot a huge brownie come out and scratch his back on a spruce tree. He had a great hide and color. We watched him until he headed back into the woods. As the light started to fade we headed back to camp. On the way back we spot a black bear on the tidal flats, he looked like he could be reached. I had Jason drop me on the beach and I started my stalk. Before long I had closed the distance to about 150 yards. I eased out into the open to see him, he turned to head into the brush. I put the crosshairs on his pelvic bone and fired. The 200 grain Accubond stuck him hard, knocked him down. He regained his footing and headed for cover. I advanced as quickly as I could, I placed a second shot into his shoulder. He dropped in his tracks at the high tide mark. I worked my way back to the boat and motored over within 200 yards of the bear. Jason helped me get him to the water. Once in the water I floated him over to the boat. I used my lift to winch him out of the water. I left him on the hoist and we headed for camp.

Not the largest bear I've taken but he had an amazing hide.
    Recovered the Accubond under the hide.

Thumbs up

Very nice "Gentleman's" Hunt. Way to go on the fish and game you caught and shot!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Before we knew it Jason's time was up. As the sun rose on yet another magnificent day, I made quick work of my bear and got him ready to take to town to have him sealed.

I made us omelets and fried potatoes for breakfast. We loaded up my bear and headed off to check the stand we had made for my wife and to pull our shrimp pots on the way to town. I used my Gerber brush cutter to help clear a path to the stand, that thing cuts like crazy. The Devils Club was thick and I'm still digging out thorns from my fingers. While hanging one of Baitems scent balls my back betrayed me and I fell backwards onto a fallen spruce tree. One of the old broken branches tried to embed itself into my left hamstring. The pain was terrible and when I reached down I was sure my hand was going to be bloody. I got lucky and only come away with a limp and a nasty bruise, didn't even rip my Sitka Nimbus pants.

While we were fishing an Eagle swooped in and grabbed a snack.

Time was up and we made our run into town with flats seas and calm winds. We got to enjoy some of the best weather I have ever had. Back in town we got my bear sealed and met up with our families and had dinner. Jason headed back home with his family and Flor arrived with her brother. We spent the night in town and headed back out the next morning with the tide.

awsome trip & post steve!!

Gentleman's hunt indeed! Another great thread and pics, Steve, thanks for sharing,

We headed out to the cabin with blue skies and seas as slick as glass. Flor and her brother were raised in Dallas by a single mother and had very few outdoor opportunities. She has come to love hunting, fishing and everything outdoors and wanted to share a trip with her brother. Juan has never hunted and was excited about coming along to watch. We arrived at the cabin and stocked up our Alaskan refrigerator AKA a snow bank with our beverages. I started marinating some steaks and bear backstraps for dinner and we headed out to do some fishing.

The rock fish were biting, so we caught a few for lunch.

Juan thought the shrimp were huge. The green horn did a great job and made an awesome deck hand. I didn't even make him pull pots by hand. I thought about having him pull a double string by hand then break out the puller for my turn....GRIN

Back at camp I got dinner started and we discussed our plan for the evening hunt.

Great pictures. Looks like you guys had a great time! That first bear that gave you the slip looks like a really good one.

We got to our stand early and got settled in. About an hour before dark the largest black bear I have ever seen comes down the trail on my side of the blind. The bear freezes in his tracks and Flor is unable to get on him from where she is at. It sure wasn't that bears first rodeo, he started MOONWALKING back the way he came with a swiftness. We sit tight and hope he will come back, but darkness forces us to retreat back to camp. Back at camp we have a roaring fire and reflect back on an awesome day.

We slept in the next day and had a late breakfast. We head out to try for some halibut. While sitting on the hook I hear the sounds of fast approaching engines. As I look up we have a State Trooper RIB come up on us fast and hard. His wake severely rocked my vessel and we come very close to being swamped. After the boat settled down so I could move we showed our documents and answered some questions. He did apologize for his wake. I'm sure it was unintentional. He was quickly off to check others in the area.
    We head back to camp and I start dinner. We had rockfish and shrimp, mac and cheese and snow peas and I made a pineapple upside down cake for dessert.

amazing story here! I really look foward to checking back to hear more. i will be disappointed when this topic comes to an end
    BTW, which forest cabin is that you are staying at?
    What size and kind of boat are you running?
    Looks like some amazing weather! sure make a big difference

As evening approaches we gather up our gear and decide to head in early to take advantage of the tide. As soon as we hit the beach Flor spots a bear, however with the wind at our back it is only a moment before he has our scent and is off like a prom dress. We had a good feeling about our evening sit and slowly work our way into the stand. As we arrive we see a bear but he moves off before Flor can get on him. We get settled in and I light a couple of my bear candles and we wait to see what happens. Before long Flor spots a bear coming in, she looks him over and lets Juan watch him for a while. The bear lays down and gives Flor an opportunity for a shot. She fired a perfectly placed shot with her Winchester Extreme Weather 270WSM handloaded 140g TSX and the bear is dead where he lay.

With plenty of daylight remaining I dress out her bear and she introduces Juan to the Alaskan tradition of packing out your sisters bear. GRIN

Back at camp I break out the camp shower that I bought on clearance at SW. Needless to say it was a big hit with the wife plus Juan and I enjoyed washing the bear off us as well.

Default Stid

Another great trip for y'all. Very nice writeup. Always look forward to reading of your adventures.
    Keep on "Truckin "

Tired from the days activities we all crash for the night. Around 01:00 am I wake up sweating and dry heaving. I was having an CVS (Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome) attack. I was soaking wet with sweat and freezing with the chills at the same time. I took some medicine and started trying to drink more than I sweated out. My Wiggy's bag had sweat standing in it and still kept me warm. The dawn broke and we were in for our first bad weather. As the day wore on I was having a hard time staying hydrated. Around noon I told the wife and Juan to load up the bear and extra gear and we would make a run for town. My meds started to work and I got my feet back under me. We had a bit of a rough ride until we cleared entrance Island then we had an easy run back into town. I sat in the hot shower drinking gator aid until I started to feel better. Dave at Frontier Taxidermy was great as always and sealed Flor's bear and removed the skull for me. Dave is awesome on bear rugs and Flor wanted her bear rugged. Flor and Juan squared away the boat and gear and let me get some rest.
    Then next morning was beautiful, we again had clear skies and calm winds. I was feeling better so we loaded up and headed back out to recover our gear and pull our shrimp pots.

One last jet boat ride.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgPUs6dEDw
    We cleaned the cabin and left it better than we found it and stuffed all our gear into my boat and headed for port. The forecast was predicting some nasty weather coming in so
    called it a trip and headed for home.
    Did I mention that the view from the crapper was to die for???

Stopped at Profile rock and snapped this photo on the way in.

Back at the dock safe and I think Flor was tired as well. We had a great trip went 3 for 3 on bears and brought home around 25 lbs of shrimp tails. Filled the freezer with bear meat and brought all of our gear home safe. Enjoyed the best weather I have ever had.

Congrats! Nice read as usuall.

Congrats! Looks like you guys had a great time.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast