Thread: Could Jacks be the reason for bad runs

Default Could Jacks be the reason for bad runs

I was doing some thinking with my uneducated mind about the low king numbers throughout the Cook Inlet region and came up with a hypothesis. Could it be all the Jacks? I have seen more the last several years. If these fish are not sexually mature and just swim up river and die then they don't contribute to the run. Jacks actually do damage to the run population in the future, since a jack this year is next years or the year afters spawning fish. I was thinking that there is something strange going on in the inlet that is causing more jacks to come to the rivers early. Every one is so quick to blame the decreasing number of fish on every one alts. I don't think any one group of people are to blame or at lest as far as sports fishing and commercial fishing is concerned. It is something out in the inlet we don't have control of witch will take time to work it way out.

All jacks are sexually mature. 99% are males, but there are "some" jills out there. It's not genetics that make them small. A jack is just a normal salmon that was in too good of shape as it entered the salt. They do contribute to the gene pool, it's just hard for them to compete with a forty pound buck.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

The good news is that strong jack returns are typically great indications of excellent runs in the future... Especially when talking about kings and sockeye
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Heard it different

I was told years ago that Jacks are just young Kings that go up with the mature fish, by mistake or to feed on eggs and they return and come back later when mature to spawn.
    Wonder whats the truth is. Tastey little buggers either way.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    All jacks are sexually mature. 99% are males, but there are "some" jills out there. It's not genetics that make them small. A jack is just a normal salmon that was in too good of shape as it entered the salt. They do contribute to the gene pool, it's just hard for them to compete with a forty pound buck.

King salmon spend anywhere between 1 year (jacks) and 6 years (hawgs) in the ocean. A jack is a life strategy that increases survival by leaving the dangerous ocean, but the smaller fish have a tougher time gaining access to spawning grounds.... it's a gamble, but a pretty successful strategy from what I understand
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Jacks definitely don't come in and feed and leave, they are just less successful at spawning than bigger fish, because they are small and aren't great at fighting the big bucks for females.

There is an exception with coho's apparently some go out to the estuary grow a bit and then go back upstream to overwinter in a lake then go out to sea... Found that out when I caught some 14" coho smolt exiting Afognak Lake
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.