Thread: Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build

Smile Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build

I figured I'd share a little project I've been working on since last fall.

I'm building a motor for my marsh rat duck hunting boat and I was finally able to get out an test my weed whacker motor build again. After the last test run in the fall, it was clear that I had to remove the clutch because it was slipping and getting really hot.

All in all it did pretty well for being a little weed whacker. I had a pretty average top speed of 4.6 mph according to my GPS, but I need to look at all the data for an official number. I was also testing it for the optimum running depth.

Here's some pics and a short video clip:

Erich

Thumbs up

Good thread. I posted a thread similar to this on the canoe forum, but I was thinking more of a surface drive.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Good thread. I posted a thread similar to this on the canoe forum, but I was thinking more of a surface drive.
    I just read your post. The little motor you have would probably work better on your canoe than a weed whacker since you have a regular transom height. I couldn't put that motor on my marsh rat without building a really tall transom.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    I just read your post. The little motor you have would probably work better on your canoe than a weed whacker since you have a regular transom height. I couldn't put that motor on my marsh rat without building a really tall transom.

Erich
    Actually, no. The transom mount on the Cruise n' Carry slides up and down the shaft housing to accommodate nearly any height motor mount. I would be interested in making a weed whacker into a long tail, like a mini Go Devil for going in really skinny water. I never thought about the clutch issue, although my little Tanaka has a clutch and it has presented no problem as yet.

Actually, no. The transom mount on the Cruise n' Carry slides up and down the shaft housing to accommodate nearly any height motor mount.
    I didn't realize that! Can you tell me how much adjustablity there is? It would be a fun test to put these two motors to a back to back test!

I would be interested in making a weed whacker into a long tail, like a mini Go Devil for going in really skinny water. I never thought about the clutch issue, although my little Tanaka has a clutch and it has presented no problem as yet.
    I say go for it! I'd guess that my clutch problem could be solved by reducing the size and pitch of my prop. It would have been cheaper if I tried that first, oh well.

Erich