Thread: Failure and heartbreak

Default Failure and heartbreak

Tough morning. I was walking into the bait at about 0530 and I got to the spot where I drop my pack to sneak in the last 100 yards in case there is something on the bait. I hadn't even loaded my gun when I looked up the hill and 35 yards away was a beautiful bear. I know they always look bigger before you shoot them, but this bear was 6 feet plus if he was an inch. I calmly pulled my gun from the pack, loaded a round, flipped up the covers, and sighted in behind his shoulder. I relaxed, squeezed the trigger and bang. Everything was perfect except the bear didn't move. Before I could load another round, he was gone over the hill. There was no blood, no hair, no evidence the bear even ran. He just trotted away.

My first thought was I must have gotten a case of bear fever. I was cussing up a storm feeling like an idiot when my partner said he didn't think so. He said I looked pretty calm, cool, and collected. I sat down, sighted in on a tree near where the bear was and shot. Low and behold, I hit the tree about 3 feet low. I sighted in my rifle May 15th just after we put in the bait but somehow, during the up and down the mountain, it lost it's zero.

To top it off, I'm leaving town again tonight so my season is over. At least I didn't wound the bear or make a poor hit.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Tough morning. I was walking into the bait at about 0530 and I got to the spot where I drop my pack to sneak in the last 100 yards in case there is something on the bait. I hadn't even loaded my gun when I looked up the hill and 35 yards away was a beautiful bear. I know they always look bigger before you shoot them, but this bear was 6 feet plus if he was an inch. I calmly pulled my gun from the pack, loaded a round, flipped up the covers, and sighted in behind his shoulder. I relaxed, squeezed the trigger and bang. Everything was perfect except the bear didn't move. Before I could load another round, he was gone over the hill. There was no blood, no hair, no evidence the bear even ran. He just trotted away.

My first thought was I must have gotten a case of bear fever. I was cussing up a storm feeling like an idiot when my partner said he didn't think so. He said I looked pretty calm, cool, and collected. I sat down, sighted in on a tree near where the bear was and shot. Low and behold, I hit the tree about 3 feet low. I sighted in my rifle May 15th just after we put in the bait but somehow, during the up and down the mountain, it lost it's zero.

To top it off, I'm leaving town again tonight so my season is over. At least I didn't wound the bear or make a poor hit.
    That is a tough way to end your season for sure...but your right...better to miss 3 feet low than wound the bear.

At least you had a chance to get off a shot. Going to check our baits in the morning and if still no hits we're bagging for the year.
    Paul

Sorry to hear that but at least you've seen one. I haven't had a single hit on my barrel.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

sorry to hear about that, i know how i miss can linger and torment a hunters mind, had a few myself!!!!

Default Tough

Sorry to hear, but like you said at least you missed and didn't wound him. All I have seen is grizz.

Talking Failure and heartbreak...

Must be the way you felt last January when Brett threw that perfect pass to Tracy Porter of the Saints!?

Just had to get that in there!!!! ;-}}

Consider ditching that scope. I've gone to all peeps or open sights on all but my long-range set-ups and have taken numerous critters "old school". It works! You'll have so much more confidence in your shooting as well!

Taylor

OH! Sorry about your missing that bear. You're right. Better to miss wide than to make a bad hit.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Must be the way you felt last January when Brett threw that perfect pass to Tracy Porter of the Saints!?

Just had to get that in there!!!! ;-}}

Consider ditching that scope. I've gone to all peeps or open sights on all but my long-range set-ups and have taken numerous critters "old school". It works! You'll have so much more confidence in your shooting as well!

Taylor
    Originally I had wanted to pick up the 45/70 of my dreams for baiting but funding wise, I had to go with what I had at the time. And yes, it hurt when Favre threw that pass but not as much as 1998 when Gary Anderson missed the field goal.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!