Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bah! Suburban has stranded me for the last time, tow vehicles w/ good turn radius?

Default Bah! Suburban has stranded me for the last time, tow vehicles w/ good turn radius?

96 Suburban starter froze up at the ramp in whittier today, 3rd time its stranded me, at least USAA roadside assistance towed me and the boat back at no cost to me, otherwise a 1000 dollar tow.

Didnt even get a line wet and the trip was supposed to be a birthday treat for a coworkers daughter.

I'm about ready to set the d@mn truck on fire I'm so irritated.

The burb has a 46 foot turning radius, because of what I have to do to back the boat onto the RV pad I dont want to have a vehicle that has a turning radius of more than 48 feet.

Specs I need are:
    $11,000 or less
    diesel
    3/4 ton
    hold 5 people min
    48 foot or less turn radius
    130k miles or less
    nothing older than a 2001

Dont care if its a van, SUV, or truck as long as it meets the specs.

Anything you guys recommend?

Thanks
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Buy almost anything other than a Chevy and you won't have these problems. Ford & Dodge are highest on the list.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

with those specs it sounds like about a 96 suburban is right for you

Never had a problem with my cummins. Granted, I cannot carry five people comfortably.

A buddy just bought a 2004 Dodge, 4 door, matching shell, with a new long block Cummins for $13k last fall. It is a long bed and might not turn tight enough for you. My only complaint is that it is a stick transmission, but for that truck I would easily deal with it.

Good luck on your search.

Mike

The farmers & ranchers around where my dad lives swear by the duramax/allison tranny combo, I figure they'd know since they beat the heck out of their trucks every day.

After looking around I'm thinking a extended cab w/ a shortbed, edmunds says the 2001 GMC sierra has a 47 foot turning circle, rear seat is kinda cramped but doable.
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    The farmers & ranchers around where my dad lives swear by the duramax/allison tranny combo, I figure they'd know since they beat the heck out of their trucks every day.

After looking around I'm thinking a extended cab w/ a shortbed, edmunds says the 2001 GMC sierra has a 47 foot turning circle, rear seat is kinda cramped but doable.
    Don't do the short bed unless you plan on using it very little. I have Fords with the 7.3 and 6.0 and love them both.

Short beds pretty much ALWAYS are too short. Don't know what my turning radius is but I love my FORD F-250 with an extended cab, long bed (8') and V-10.

Get a early 2000's Dodge with a Cummins and a spare transmission and you will be good to go.

steer clear of anything chrysler
    company should've died off long ago for making such sh*t products

Your fords don't count.. Mr. high horse power.....As if i room to talk....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Don't do the short bed unless you plan on using it very little. I have Fords with the 7.3 and 6.0 and love them both.

Troll how's the bus pass or what dose your mommy drive you around....

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    steer clear of anything chrysler
    company should've died off long ago for making such sh*t products

I am a tried and true Ford and Toyota fan. If you would have told me 10 years ago that my first new truck would be a Dodge..... I would have laughed in your face. I purchased a new Dodge, Cummins in 2006 and have nothing bad to say about it. Lithia has been great and I got a smokin deal to boot! I would not have even looked at the Dodge except that I have a buddy in demolition in Phoenix that has a fleet of them and has had great luck with them. After 4 years and 55K miles.... I still make my buddy with his Ford look bad. He called me a couple years ago when I passed him on a long hill near Gunsight. He said "Do you know how good your truck sounds".... I said yes and I will meet you at Eureka where you have to top off your tank. Same sized tank, he needs 1/3 more fuel. I easily walk away from him with MORE load. Easily. My buddy still talks to me. I still admire at how good his truck looks. He would trade, but he is a tightass.

Mike

the 94+ dodges turn tighter than anything else and run for ever with the cummins, the auto trannies??

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Your fords don't count.. Mr. high horse power.....As if i room to talk....

SHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Now no telling secrets........By the way, my daughter got her permit and I think she is now hooked on driving my CC DRW.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I am a tried and true Ford and Toyota fan. If you would have told me 10 years ago that my first new truck would be a Dodge..... I would have laughed in your face. I purchased a new Dodge, Cummins in 2006 and have nothing bad to say about it. Lithia has been great and I got a smokin deal to boot! I would not have even looked at the Dodge except that I have a buddy in demolition in Phoenix that has a fleet of them and has had great luck with them. After 4 years and 55K miles.... I still make my buddy with his Ford look bad. He called me a couple years ago when I passed him on a long hill near Gunsight. He said "Do you know how good your truck sounds".... I said yes and I will meet you at Eureka where you have to top off your tank. Same sized tank, he needs 1/3 more fuel. I easily walk away from him with MORE load. Easily. My buddy still talks to me. I still admire at how good his truck looks. He would trade, but he is a tightass.

Mike
    Pretty much identical to my experience. The only problem I've had with my '06 was a coolant leak due to a faulty hoseclamp which was no big, deal, but the way the other dealer in town dealt with the issue and multiple times I had the vehicle in the shop was very discouraging.

I'm a huge fan of the cummins, great torque and good economy. It'll get 21 mpg on the hwy empty, and 16-17 pulling the boat. If you were just pulling a boat on the flats the mileage would be even better, but when you have enough power to be going 65 pulling a trailer through turnagain and moose pass, I can't see any reason to let off the pedal. Actually if you let your speed drop too much you'll end up dropping gears and really sucking down the diesel.

I have no idea what the turning radius is on the ram 2500's, but the quad cab will fit 6 people, and I've made numerous trips to Seward with 4 adults and two kids.

I'm running a 1999 Ram 3500 and am always amazed when I hook it up to a large load. It is just built for towing, the Cummins shines when put under a load. I've ridden in my friends Fords, but they lack the torque of my Dodge to get the load rolling and pull large grades.

Can't speak to the turning radius. But, I recently bought an extended cab, long bed, V10, F-250. It's a 2003 with 120k miles, some minor body damage, and a few mechanical issues like brakes, tires, and wheel bearings that I knew I could fix myself. Picked it up about a month ago (after some serious searching for a couple of months) for just under what you have budgeted.

After all the searching I did, I can tell you that a 2001+ diesel truck (any brand) is going to be a tough unit to find under $11k unless it has really high mileage or the body and/or drivetrain is beat up pretty bad. Especially if you're looking for a quick replacement for the 'burban. But, if you have time to wait, and are ready to jump on the right deal when it finally comes along, you might find what you're looking for.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Threw in the starter today and it starts better than it ever has, so I'm not quite ready to shove it off a cliff now.

It leaks every fluid it has, I have to top off the tranny fluid every few trips or it won't go into high gear, a tranny rebuild runs about 4k, if I'm lucky its just the seals.

Gonna take it over to big o's automotive and have them take a look at the tranny. We'll see, I've poured money into it over the last three years, hate to lose that, but a 96 burban just isnt worth that much any more.
    Especially one with a gas guzzling 454 in it.
    "Dominion"

There is no way tanny costs that Much. Call john at affordable tranmission. Tell mike sent ya....... I would say. 2600 for a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Threw in the starter today and it starts better than it ever has, so I'm not quite ready to shove it off a cliff now.

It leaks every fluid it has, I have to top off the tranny fluid every few trips or it won't go into high gear, a tranny rebuild runs about 4k, if I'm lucky its just the seals.

Gonna take it over to big o's automotive and have them take a look at the tranny. We'll see, I've poured money into it over the last three years, hate to lose that, but a 96 burban just isnt worth that much any more.
    Especially one with a gas guzzling 454 in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast