Thread: Oar Info

Question Oar Info

Does anybody know if you can buy any aluminum schedule 40 pipe locally to make oar extensions. I'm not sure of the sizes of aluminum pipe. Carlisle says 1 7/8" OD for their oars but I'm not sure of the ID.

I know they sell 12" extensions but the standard extension has a male end and female end. I would like to use my 2 piece oars that I have but to shorten them I would need female ends on both ends. My oars are 10' for my cataraft but I would like to be able to shorten them to 7-7.5' to use on my inflatable canoe.

Does anybody know where Blue Moose Rafting has moved to? Thanks in advance for any help.

kk alaska
    Your PM box is full and will not except a PM. Are your extensions female on both ends or the standard male/female end? Thanks

Smile

As you are probably figuring... Carlisle 2 pc. shafts are sold = a one (2part) shaft deal.

Many folks end up in more or less in your similar predicament by bending, folding up, or breaking the shaft... often the middle piece (of varied lengths) between the handle part of shaft and blade.

I do have all kinds of used Carlisle Oar parts and pieces in a mix of condition if interested... therefore, I'd even freely swap ya if that works. I can tell you (and you have likely discovered) the 1' extensions are of no use in your scenario.

The sch. 40 will also be useless (not compatible) unless it is turned by a professional on a lathe... (not worth it) on a 2 piece that runs ya $80-100 a shaft.

Whatever you do --- DO NOT CUT your shafts!!!

I do not want to get rid of my 10' oars because they go to my Aire Leopard. I guess I will just have to find me a set of shafts that my carlisle blades will fit. I need my oars to be about 7' long.

I checked at Beaver Sports today but they only had 8' along with Test the Waters. I could not get a hold of Blue Moose Rafting.

Brain do you have any in your Carlisle stuff? If so shoot me a price and by the way I'm enjoying my canoe. That thing is awesome and the wife even likes it. Thanks again.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    I do not want to get rid of my 10' oars because they go to my Aire Leopard. I guess I will just have to find me a set of shafts that my carlisle blades will fit. I need my oars to be about 7' long.

I checked at Beaver Sports today but they only had 8' along with Test the Waters. I could not get a hold of Blue Moose Rafting.

Brain do you have any in your Carlisle stuff? If so shoot me a price and by the way I'm enjoying my canoe. That thing is awesome and the wife even likes it. Thanks again.
    Yep... all the different oars and oar components are available.

The only 'Carlisle' that will be available in 7' breakdown is called their 'economy oar'... & well... it's a pile-o-thin-wall&rivet special. I would not recommend these newer economy oars to anyone, unless you plan on using spare and going through a few of them (plus components) on your canoe if loaded down. Empty, they'd be OK - just like on the one person cats... There is simply little to no tempering, protection, a good connection, or any reinforcement on these sticks.

For your boat, I'd suggest a product from Advanced Composites called Cataract Oars. These would entail custom order in a large diameter (like your 10' oars) at 7' or whatever sizing (they do not come standard < 8').

Another would be Sawyer --- however, their shortest sticks in both diameters are 8' - would again have to be custom!

Best and easiest choice would be 3 of the Cataract 'Mini-Magnum' in 7' or 7.5' breakdown shafts, blades and all. These are very well made. They are designed for one person or smaller rafts - however - plenty strong for your canoe and loads.

Brian

I am going to stick with a one piece shaft for my canoe since I'm going to have to buy some different shafts. It just sucks since nobody here in Fairbanks sells 7' foot oars. Shipping will more than likely be outragous for oars.

If anybody in Fairbanks has a set of 7' oar shafts that they would like to sell let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Brian

I am going to stick with a one piece shaft for my canoe since I'm going to have to buy some different shafts. It just sucks since nobody here in Fairbanks sells 7' foot oars. Shipping will more than likely be outragous for oars.

If anybody in Fairbanks has a set of 7' oar shafts that they would like to sell let me know.
    Can't say for the folks up in Fairbanks... however, in Anchorage and pretty much everywhere else all the full-sized diameter oar manufacturers (unless custom ordered) will start at 8' on up through 12'.

You may consider an 8' (even counterbalanced handle) with 6.5" blade or floating blade.

One of the things about your particular frame width (at the oar-stands and looking at back @ the pics) is that it looks the same stance as many one person Cats... hence again... the Mini-Magnums are best suited for your boat and frame dimensions. Might even still run 7.5'

I would imagine a nice set of wooden oars could be crafted really nice from a tree or two in your parts... or trim back and turn down a nice handle from an existing high quality 8' solid or laminate wood oar. These would be super rugged as well as warm on the hands come float hunting season.