Thread: Fishing the Kenai Area

Default Fishing the Kenai Area

I have booked a 6 day guided trip for the Kenai area for next year and I have not chosen the dates yet. I would really appreciate some good insight from those familiar with the area on what time in your opinion that you would spend the time.
    I know that this area can be very crowded at times so I am looking at more towards the middle to end of August to find a more quiet time if that is even doable when the runs are still strong.
    My trip includes four days on any part of the Kenai that I choose to fish and one day out of Seward for halibut. I am also thinking about substituting one day on the river for a fly out day trip.
    I am more interested in Silvers than the Kings due to all the crowds, restrictions etc. I am not a fly fisherman per se but have done enough that I could handle that but my wife will be with me and she would not do well with that.
    The trip I chose looks like a lot of fun with a good variety and obviously I want to maximize my time. I have been to Alasksa twice, once on a trip in the Prince of Wha;es Island area for fishing and on a cruise ship, which by the way, was not my cup of tea.
    I am looking for an itinerary that someone who knows what is availabe and when they would do this trip themselves.
    I know alot of you get asked these types of questions alot so I appreciate any advice given. I live in Norhtern California and if anyone needs info. for some time spent down here, I would be happy to oblige.
    Thanks

Default Fisher 5000

I would fish Silvers in the Kenai for say 2 days (about August 10th ) Then head to Cooper Landing and do a Rainbow trip.
    Next off to Seward, the Silver Capital. The derby will be on and a chance at some great prizes. Then a Halibut trip out to Montaque if the weather allows. Your booking agent (guide ) should be contacted for approval.
    Good luck with your plans and bring lots of film.

PS. take the mrs. on a Kenai Fjords sightseeing trip. You will both love it.

I am also going to Alaska in Late July or early August. Would this be too early for the Silvers in the Kenai Area?

I am sorry for jumping in on your thread.

Default Right on

Very good advice from Roland!

Roland, thanks for the advice.
    I am sure everyone who doesn't live up there and is making a trip appreciates any insight into what thay should do to make the most out of their trip.
    It's that way for anyone traveling to unfamiliar waters.