Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs that work! --- (help me)

Default Eggs that work! --- (help me)

Ok I've had enough of the egg thing. today was the last straw when guys on either side of me using exactly the same tackle, in exactly the same hole, at exactly the same time picked up kings and I walked away with squat! Again...

Normally I'd just say I have bad luck (which I'm sure is part of it) but the difference is the cure on the eggs I was using. The last few years it's been the same and not just with Kings... Silvers too. one guy has a "cure" that works and mine doesn't.

I just thought it was because the store bought bait eggs generally, (or specifically) suck!. But last year I managed to "solve" Jim's creek and came away several times with silver hens and managed to get a nice supply of eggs. Happy my woes were over I picked up 3 different "curing" products and followed the instructions to the letter.

the result...

ZIP, Nada, NO-Go... my cure attempts looks the same as the guy next to me but still his works... mine don't!

the ONLY time I've caught fish on eggs is 1. either with a guide, (who I'm sure have it figured out or he wouldn't be in business) 2. or the one time I managed to buy the "good" eggs from a local tackle shop in a ziplock. (obviously someone else's secret cure)

Now I'm not looking for someone to send me a step by step "secret recipe" (but mind you if someone is willing to share in a PM I promise to keep the secret ) but if people would be willing to share tips I would be very appreciative I'm willing to work through the trial by error but who know's how many seasons I'll get the privilege to live in Alaska, (if it were up to me I'd happily be one of the grizzled retirees who get to spend the whole summer fishing exercising a lifetime of tricks and accumulated knowledge. but as I've been imported by my company from Canada I'm at the mercy of the economy, my employer, and whatever grumpy immigration officer reviews my permit to work every spring.)

anyway anyone willing to share tips on
    1. cure brands/colors that work!
    2. deviations from the manufacturers "instructions"
    3. what the end result should look/feel/small like
    4. any additional "ingredients" you like to add to you mixes.

anything would help... again if you don't want to share with the world then feel free to PM me. (anything in a PM will not be repeated now or in the future in any form... other than maybe verbally to another poor soul like me.)

thanks all

Default one other thing

Oh I forgot to mention... all my catches last year were on Vibrax spinners. no kings just silvers, pinks and Chums. I haven't managed to catch a king since 2007 and then only with a guides help... not for lack of trying though.

oh and if anyone has "retail Available" cured eggs that have worked for them I wouldn't mind knowing that either...
    Last edited by Sierra Dragon; 06-12-2010 at 14:57. Reason: grammer

I've seen that happen to a lot of people. Fish decides to take one bait out of dozens. Been out every night this week and see it every time. Luck of the draw. Some people do have a trick when they cure their eggs, but you prolly won't get it out of them. I got a recipe for cure, can't find it right now, but I found that adding a drop of anise oil or herring oil helped a little. I hardly ever fish eggs though. Keep using the vibrax. I've caught 7 fish this year already on them. Pink and silver #5
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I've always had good luck with Pro Cure.
    And I just follow the instructions on the container.
    Back East I used the natural colour Pro Cure but all the Western guys like the florescent colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Keep using the vibrax. I've caught 7 fish this year already on them. Pink and silver #5
    I have a couple of those always handy. last year my "weapon of choice" was a #4 bleeding vibrax with a purple bell. I think 90% of my catches last year were on one of those. (tricky to find them this year so far)

thanks for the tip when I get some eggs I'll give a try with a batch.

drifter - thank you... one of the brands I tried was the Pro-Cure Natural... not much luck or I screwed it up.. I;ll try a brighter color this year.

Make sure you take good care of the eggs to when you harvest them. Get them well bled and cure AS SOON as possible! Do not freeze before you cure 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Make sure you take good care of the eggs to when you harvest them. Get them well bled and cure AS SOON as possible! Do not freeze before you cure 'em.
    I generally remove them streamside at the launch/fillet tables and give them a rinse in the river, let them dry off a bit while processing the fish and then place in a ziplock on ice for the ride home. When I get home I pull them out of the ziplocks and place on paper towel on a cookie sheet and let dry for a while in the fridge and then cure them up.

Right on drifter

I like pro cure. Follow the directions.

I cut the bait into the sizes Ill be using then cure away. Dont remember the names of the colors but one was flame red and the other was orange. Both worked but I liked the red better.

Also used patzkies *sp it worked also.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Wink

WARNING: This could be hazardous to a fishes health.

I use 20 Mule Team Borax (soap for dehydrating) and Cherry Jello (for toughening up and scent trail), mixed about 50/50. Don't rinse the eggs, leave the blood in them and cure them before refridgerating or freezing. Cut the eggs into golf ball sized chunks. Put them in a gallon sized zip lock bag, put in a good dose of the mixture. Leaving lots of air in the bag, zip it shut and shake until the eggs are completely covered. Take them out and place them in a cool shaded spot with lots of air flow. Repeat until you use up all the eggs. I usually use newspaper, but the pages from the fishing reg book will work in a pinch. Roll them ocassionally, until they firm up and start to feel like gummy rubber. Place them in a suitable plastic tub or container with an air tight seal, like a used Whipped Cream or New Style Coffee can. You can now refrigerate or freeze them, but I would recommend putting them on a hook and egg loop instead. Good Luck lots of "secret recipies" out there.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

'Bout the only thing I'd add is that for kings, I'd get yourself (or make some) some garlic oil. I know it sounds weird, but I swear it works. Soak your roe, using whatever cure you want, in it before fishing. Change bait frequently. The fresh, oily stuff catches more fish.

No clue why this works.

I use "Terry Seamster's Last Supper Egg Cure" by Pro Cure. In the curing process, I also add powdered krill. Its makes a *HUGE* difference....the extra scent really seems to help!!

Pick up Scott Haugen's Egg Cures book. Lots of great info there.

I love Borax cures but only for Steelies (yes they work on kings as well, but I have had better success with sulfite type cures for salmon).

Lots of great suggestions below... just experiment and before you know it, you will be that guy across the river!

Forgot to add, preperation is the key. No matter what you add to the cure, if you start out with poorly taken care of eggs, it might as well be store bought. NO BLOOD!

Enjoy

Default Sweet

Sierra Dragon, check you pm box.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I have had a lot of success with Amerman's and Pauztke egg cures. You can customize or create your own secret batch by adding your favorite scents during the curing process, as the juice is re-absorbed into the egg. Favorites include anise, dried or liquid krill, herring, sardine and shrimp oils. Scents can also be added to your bait when your on the river. I like Pauztke krill paste and Mike's Shrimp oil & gel. However, the cures by themselves work fine. I like to have at least 2 flavors when I am out on the river.

Bait prensentation and being in the right spot at the right time plays an important role as well.

http://www.amermaneggs.com/cure.php

Thanks all...

I really appreciate the suggestions...

now to get some eggs to cure.... gonna try some of the parks streams this week and they are all no bait rivers anyway.

Here is hoping

(given the king season though it's a good thing Russian river and dipnetting season is almost here.)

Great thread. I'll bet there are darn near as many "sure fire" or "the best ever" egg cures as there are people that use them.

Default I like Pro Cure myself

I have experimented with a few different techniques from various Pro Cure blends and borax-cherry kool aid mixes. I have tried mixing in different scents like garlic, anise and herring oils with the eggs as well. What I have found is that regular Pro Cure Redd Hot Double Stuff is what works best for me. Alot of your presentation comes from how the eggs milk and alot of this is based on your drying of the eggs post curing. I like mine to have a gummy worm texture to the skein but nice and soft yet firm on the inside. They stay on the hooks well using a loop. (I think netting is horrible stuff and repels fish). I cure whatever egss that I get my hands on. King eggs I like best, then silvers and sockeye. If the skeins are really thick as with Kings, I fillet the skeins down the middle...CAREFULLY!!!! and lay them in pans skin down and cover them in cure letting it soak in really well and letting them sit for 24 hours or so. I then have some chicken wire racks that I lay the skeins out to dry on. Depending on the time of summer and weather, they may be done in a day or it may take 3 or 4 to dry. The important part is plenty of ventillation and not letting them over dry. You can always dry them longer, but I have never had luck getting the texture I like from over dried eggs. When take roughly a days fishing worth of eggs and put them in quart zip locks and in the freezer they go until they go on a hook. If you treat your bait just like you treat your fish when freezing, ie taking the time to remove all of the air etc, they store very well in the freezer. I have used bait from 2 years in the freezer with good results. Something else to remember though is that even a slight change in presentation can make all the difference in the world. Good luck!

Default TNT Cure

The TNT Kenai Red cure has worked for me, I just add a little scent as needed, the before mentioned Garlic, Krill, Sardine, Herring work Salmon feast can be added. The TNT can be used the next day after curing, just bleed your fish well, put the eggs in a clean gallon ziploc bag, keep cool till you are ready to cure, Use scissors to cut to size, put TNT in bottom of bag, then eggs, TNT, EGGS, TNT, EGGS, shake, put in refrigerator turn a couple times in 24 hours, if you add scents do it while layering the eggs in the ziploc. This is a very moist cure and will milk well. Good Luck. Gerberman

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    'Bout the only thing I'd add is that for kings, I'd get yourself (or make some) some garlic oil. I know it sounds weird, but I swear it works. Soak your roe, using whatever cure you want, in it before fishing. Change bait frequently. The fresh, oily stuff catches more fish.

No clue why this works.

You know it's funny you say that. I have a saltwater reef tank, and it's common knowledge in the hobby that if you have a few picky eaters for inhabitants, that a few drops of garlic oil is the cure (not to mention it's good for ich prevention). Pursed mouth Nemo suddenly becomes a raving lunatic and wants to eat anything you throw at him.

If I recall correctly, nobody really knows why. If it works in fish tanks, then why not Salmon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast