Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem boaters on the Clearwater!

Exclamation Problem boaters on the Clearwater!

I would like to hear anyone’s opinion on this matter about unsafe boaters on the Clearwater.
    During the last 3 years several of us have noticed the rise in unsafe boating on this river.
    Over the last few weeks there have been reports of intoxicated drivers w/ children aboard, excessive speeds, and just plain rude boating.
    This river is not that big, and the speeds are not my real concern. However if you are coming into a corner why is in necessary to be in the wrong lane? Is driving a boat different than driving a vehicle on the road? Should we not maintain our lane around the bend of a river?
    Also when boats are anchored, or individuals are wade fishing is it necessary to fly by at a high rate of speed sometimes coming within feet of the boat/person?
    I have experienced all of this recently on this river, and it seems to be the 2 or 3 same boats.
    I also have been told of similar situations that have happened to people that own property on this river.
    I hope that I am not coming off as rude but if this applies to you, ( edit )!
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 06-13-2010 at 04:12. Reason: edit out un family friendly
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

you're dealing with small town alaskans. they're a bunch of palin lovin' rick rydell ( edit out ) who think they own this state and all of its resources. alaska is their "little slice of heaven" so either live by their rules or get shot
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 06-13-2010 at 04:14. Reason: easy to know what that meant

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    you're dealing with small town alaskans. they're a bunch of palin lovin' rick rydell ( edit out )who think they own this state and all of its resources. alaska is their "little slice of heaven" so either live by their rules or get shot
    Wow.

So, are all small town Alaskans like this?

You think every rude boater is a Palin fan?

Every intoxicated boater is a Rick Rydell ( edit ) ? (whatever that means)

How many fisherman get shot each year? (answer: z--e--r--o)

I am in no way defending people who act like morons on the rivers. I've experienced that myself numerous times, and it's just plain rude. Often it's younger guys with fast boats who just haven't grown up enough to care. Sometimes it's just idiots who don't care or are trying to show off.

I don't know what your particular problem is, Jisler, and no offense, but you sound like as much of an ass as the rude people in the boats. Are you jealous because you don't have a boat, too?
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 06-13-2010 at 04:15. Reason: easy to know what that meant

Default Report

We must stand up fir what we believe in there is no reason to tolerate unsafe acts that could get someone hurt. Each boat registered in the state of Alaska has unique registeration located on both sides of the Hull copy it down and call the troopers. When I am driving down the highway and I see something reckless endangering others I make it a point to call 911 dispatch. Unfortunately this countries morals and ethics are taking a major turn for the worse but there is no reason we have to socially accept it.Just my two cents.
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    you're dealing with small town alaskans. they're a bunch of palin lovin' rick rydell ( Edit out )who think they own this state and all of its resources. alaska is their "little slice of heaven" so either live by their rules or get shot
    Holy smoke, How the heck did Palin get into this?

I'm small town.

I own a truck.

I know the Palin's

Alaska is pretty close to heaven for me, would be more so if idiots on the river would be courteous and nimrods like yourself Jisler would keep your opinions to yourself and not bother us with them.
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 06-13-2010 at 04:16. Reason: easy to know what that meant

Quote Originally Posted by akdawg View Post
    ...it seems to be the 2 or 3 same boats...
    Sounds like it's not a very big problem then. Take pictures and video (cell phone anyone?) and call 911. You only have 2 or 3 boats to get rid of to get back to "normal", right? You should be able to have the place cleaned up by next weekend.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Yep, make the call.
    The more calls the troopers get about the problem the more likely they are to do something about it. If they don't know there is a problem how are they going to fix it?

Default Boating forum

If you search the boating forum there are many threads about river boating, safety, ethics etc. and discussions about the accidents and near accidents that have occurred. As far as the comments by Jisler, well I didn't care for them either.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

individuals are wade fishing is it necessary to fly by at a high rate of speed sometimes coming within feet of the boat/person?

Hmm a mabye to stay on step if there enough water wading across and a boat is coming up steam mabye he not being an ass. He has to stay on step to get by. Did you thnk of that...

I had to wait a couple of days before I would comment on this thread.

At first I wanted to just ream Jisler for his comments but had to restrain myself.

I used to be on the Clearwater all the time but have only been on the river 3 times in the last 3 years.

What it sounds like to me that what is happening is that the people that coming out of Fairbanks floating the river are encountering the newer and bigger jet boats.

I have to say this that younger people are getting boats that they have no bussiness driving, not all , but some. Some people grew up all there lifes learning the boat rules, but then you have the crowd now that says I can drive anything and there you have it.

Jisler I have to ask, do you live in Delta? What made you think Palin was behind this? And last why do you think you own the river?

Are you a person that is trying to close it off to just floaters?

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Hmm a mabye to stay on step if there enough water wading across and a boat is coming up steam mabye he not being an ass. He has to stay on step to get by. Did you thnk of that...

Yea. I had to wait a day or so as well... way to poison a thread.

I've heard the argument above several times concerning a number of rivers. As a engineer who has studied hydrodynamics some I intellectually and mathematically understand the argument perfectly.

from working 10 years in the oilfields of Canada, Montana, the North Sea, Wyoming and Alaska with too many close calls where people have not really thought through all the risks that go along with what they are doing and have landed in some bad situations, the question I still haven't seen answered to my satisfaction begs.

If you need to stay "on step" to navigate the river should you really be ON that river in the first place???

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Sierra, The Fairbanks conears club has made this river there weekend getaway.

I remember when they first started it and helped many of them that went to far and missed the outlet to the lake and took time out to get them off the tanana and back to the lake.

Now they have a sign showing them where to go.

But I'll be ****ed if I will let them take it over.

I have always passed them at a low speed, til last year, came upon a couple and they were pissed that I slowed down. Go Figure. Said the wave was to big.

I hear ya!

I had a rather nice stinging sarcastic note back to Jistler but then deleted cause I figured the irony would just be lost on anyone dumb enough to post a note like that.

the question if you should be on the river goes to the Canoe guys too...

As a paddle canoe guy myself... (havn't gotten up to the clearwater yet) if you can't hack a wake wave then you probably shouldn't be on the river either.

I for one wouldn't take an inexperienced or weak paddler out where there will be powerboats! Clearwater, Little Su, or Finger lake, it's all the same.

Like it or not the rule of the day is the smaller guy gives way to the bigger! I can live with that... just as long as I get a little consideration in return to not run right over top me because you aren't in control of your boat!

You can't win.

So what do us that live here do, just give up the river for the weekend to the ones that want to visit? , lol I think NOT. We are the ones that use it every day.

It really is a beautiful river and I hope all can use it in a responsable manner.

We don't mind sharing it, TIL YOU PISS US OFF.

Default Well lets talk about this

First off I am not paddling on this river unless its my unruly child, or I get lucky and my wife lets me spank her!
    As for the wading, what I have witnessed is the boats are in plenty of water 2-3 feet but have little or no consideration for the guy or child wading in the river.( it looks intentional too me)
    These boats are becoming a danger to all who use the river power, rafters, and waders.
    I myself have a boat powerful enough to get out of their way if time and river width are sufficient, but sometimes on the bends it is too late.
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of the river were you on when you seen this behavior? was it it on the upper part by the Lodge, or on the lower part?

I did not posion the tread by say were I'm from and then this and that i just said a plan and simple point or or mabye something someone didn't know.

P.S soory dude I run skinny water lots of of it in alaska to great fishing hole. So I will not stay off the rivers that are too skinny. It addiction to run skinny water. With that said I will point out anyone that Running a boat comes with great responables. paying attendion to everthing going . people other boats,raft in the middle of the river in blind corners, kids wading in river all these things that in a min could turn deadly... This is stuff you can't learn in a class room....

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Yea. I had to wait a day or so as well... way to poison a thread.

I've heard the argument above several times concerning a number of rivers. As a engineer who has studied hydrodynamics some I intellectually and mathematically understand the argument perfectly.

from working 10 years in the oilfields of Canada, Montana, the North Sea, Wyoming and Alaska with too many close calls where people have not really thought through all the risks that go along with what they are doing and have landed in some bad situations, the question I still haven't seen answered to my satisfaction begs.

If you need to stay "on step" to navigate the river should you really be ON that river in the first place???

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Like it or not the rule of the day is the smaller guy gives way to the bigger!
    This is not true at all. The power boat MUST give way to the paddle boat.

We have more laws and regulations about operation of a boat than we do for a car. It amazes me that we don't have a mandatory boat operator's license program that requires anyone who will operate a power boat to take a boating safety course and pass an exam, just like we do with cars.

In reference to intentionally passing too close to people wading in the water, that can easily be prosecuted under the crime of negligent operation. Unfortunately, without a boat operator's license program, someone can just pay the fines and get right back in a recreational power boat and we can't do anything about it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I did not posion the tread by say were I'm from and then this and that i just said a plan and simple point or or mabye something someone didn't know..
    I was referring to Jisler... Not you akmike... your comment was fine.

Joat... regardless of the law... I'm going to get out of the way if someone larger than me comes barreling down on me not paying attention. Principle is all well and fine but I prefer to be dry, un-injured, and not dead.

It would seem reasonable for the downstream craft to have right of way on all flowing bodies of water. Also it would seem reasonable that shallow drafting crafts would make it a point to leave the deepest part of the channel open for power vessels that will need it. That channel may be on either side of the river and it is NOT the same as a highway where there is a RIGHT side of the road and a wrong (left) side of the road. I don't travel the Clearwater (or at least haven't) but I do know that there are plenty of boats that can't get back on step in only 2' of water also depending on lighting conditions they may believe it to be shallower than that. As a person standing in the river you are certain to have a much better ability to judge the conditions in your immediate area than someone operating a boat.

All that said there are plenty of jerks out there and some of these guys could use a stiff right cross. That isn't just referring to the jet boaters either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast