Thread: Why no flowers on lilacs?

Default Why no flowers on lilacs?

I planted 3 lilacs three years ago and have still not had any flowering. All three bushes are healthy and growing very well, but they have never flowered. I bought them from two different places and all three are a different species (if that is correct terminology). They are about 3' high and about 3' wide. Can anyone help me out as to why they will not flower?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I planted 3 lilacs three years ago and have still not had any flowering. All three bushes are healthy and growing very well, but they have never flowered. I bought them from two different places and all three are a different species (if that is correct terminology). They are about 3' high and about 3' wide. Can anyone help me out as to why they will not flower?

you sure you didnt plant alders?
    Semper Fi!

I have the very same issue. Planted them 5 years ago, and they flowered the very first year (we bought them with developing buds) but haven't flowered since. I actually called Jeff Lowenfel's on his gardening radio show this morning (Saturdays from 9-noon on 700 AM) and asked him about my lilacs. His first thought was moose. We've had our apple trees ravaged by moose, but our lilacs are in a small section of our yard up by our front door, and I have never seen moose tracks anywhere near them nor have I seen any evidence of them being munched on. The other suggestion was to mulch with brown leaves (not grass clippings as I have been doing) and, of course, the sourdough method of peeing on them. I'll give both things a shot this year and see what happens next spring.

Odd that Jeff did not know about sexing lilacs. You need more plants, as the ones you have are most likely all the same sex.

Well after doing some research online I've found a couple possibilities. Too much nitrogen and soil too acidic. I spoke with a lady at Bell's and she said that her lilac that she planted 13 years ago flowered for the first time this year. I sure hope I don't have to wait another 10 years to start seeing flowers on these things.

Try tilling in some lime around your liliacs, alwys works for me in this high acidic soils.
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.

Default Moose

I planted two bushes 10 years ago. They flowered the first year, three years ago, and then finally I have three buds at the top this year. The top is now about 6 feet tall. My bushes get regular moose trimmings, so I have assumed it is the moose, but will try some lime this fall and see if it helps next year.

-hiker

And here I thought my lack of flowers was due to thier relatively young age. I have grown my plants from seed that I harvested years ago. I'll have the soil tested and see what my next step is.