Thread: Chesapeake Bay Retriever breeders in AK?

Default Chesapeake Bay Retriever breeders in AK?

I'm looking to get a chessie as a hunting companion and family dog, and would like to know if you guys/gals know of any good breeders out there. I've been looking at Wildwood in Tok as they are having a litter born in the first week of July. Couldnt find others, but the Wildwood place looks like they breed great dogs. Anyone have experience with them? If all is good on them I may put a deposit down on one and take a look at the pups next month. Not looking to get one right now as were in the middle of moving out to the valley. Thanks for any info.
    Lance

I don't have any personal experience with Wildwood, I'm sure you'll get some feed back. Good to see you're doing some research before diving into a pup! Too many do it after the fact... The only thing that caught my attention from their website, I did not see any health guarantee on hips, eyes, etc. They say they have clearances for parents, maybe I just missed the pup guarantee. Something to inquire about.

Question for you - do you and your family have prior experience with Chesapeaks or retrievers in general? It can be quite a commitment! You might reach out to the retriever clubs in the valley for support and direction as well.

Good luck on your search for the right addition to your family!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Retrievers View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with Wildwood, I'm sure you'll get some feed back. Good to see you're doing some research before diving into a pup! Too many do it after the fact... The only thing that caught my attention from their website, I did not see any health guarantee on hips, eyes, etc. They say they have clearances for parents, maybe I just missed the pup guarantee. Something to inquire about.

Question for you - do you and your family have prior experience with Chesapeaks or retrievers in general? It can be quite a commitment! You might reach out to the retriever clubs in the valley for support and direction as well.

Good luck on your search for the right addition to your family!
    According to there site they are certified OFA/Penn-hip free of DHD, opti gen for eyes. We do have some experience with retrievers in the past, never trained one for hunting though. I will for sure be looking for help and support with training my dog. I will give the dog all my commitment to train and raise it properly. Thanks for the input!

I have had many Wildwood chessies here in training. In fact I've got one here now. Nice lines and temperament from my experience. Chessies do train a bit different than a lab. So keep that in mind.
    There are several other individuals that I can think of that have litters of pups from time to time. One in Chugiak, two in Fairbanks and another that is here during the summer months but winters in California. PM me and I'll look up there contacts. Don't know of any planned breeding by them though. All the individuals I think of are active in show and field.

They should have had testing done for Progressive Retinal Atrophy and Degenerative Myelopathy inherited conditions carried by Chesapeakes.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let me know if you need some help finding a chessie pup, but are you willing to look outside of Alaska? Have you had Chesapeakes before, or will this be your first one? There are 2 American Chesapeake Club regional directors in Alaska -- Lynda Barber-Wiltse in Anchorage & me in Fairbanks. ACC does have a code of ethics for members and for breeders, as well as a lot of other information online at http://amchessieclub.org/index.html

Breeders should not only say the sire/dam have health clearances (OFA/Penn-Hip for hips, CERF/Optigen for eyes, DM status, EIC, and some people do thyroid & elbows), but they should provide proof of testing/clearances.

Please keep us posted.

Karen Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by 3CBRS View Post
    Let me know if you need some help finding a chessie pup, but are you willing to look outside of Alaska? Have you had Chesapeakes before, or will this be your first one? There are 2 American Chesapeake Club regional directors in Alaska -- Lynda Barber-Wiltse in Anchorage & me in Fairbanks. ACC does have a code of ethics for members and for breeders, as well as a lot of other information online at http://amchessieclub.org/index.html

Breeders should not only say the sire/dam have health clearances (OFA/Penn-Hip for hips, CERF/Optigen for eyes, DM status, EIC, and some people do thyroid & elbows), but they should provide proof of testing/clearances.

Please keep us posted.

Karen Wilson
    I'll probably get in contact with you, yes I guess I could have one shipped up but I prefer to keep it in state. This would be my first Chessie, I have been trying to get in contact with wildwood but they must be out of town or busy. I will keep you guys posted on this, I am excited to start an adventure with a new pup.

You won't regret getting a chessy. I have had three of them and they are one of the few sporting breeds that would die for their family. They are loyal to a fault, just be sure you socialize them a ton with little kids when their pups.

Socializing 'Peakes is a must, especially when they're young. And you don't train them with a 2 x 4, but do have to establish boundaries & nip problems in the bud. Just had my 15+ year old female Chessie "Tule" put down 2-3 weeks ago & she may never have finished a field trial, but was loyal to the end & never lacked personality (or go power, the breaking fool!).

Lance - Please don't hesitate to ask questions or let me know if you need help finding the right pup for you! Might take me awhile to answer you between training, hunt tests/field trials, work & all.

Jim Price from Palmer plans on breeding his field trial *****, Piper, this fall. That is if Piper goes along with the plans.

Strange, a dog forum won't let me say *****.

Piper is CH Lzy Mtn Abbygale's Creekside Piper *** and her pedigree is at http://www.chessieinfo.net/cgi-bin/p...d=22920&gens=5 Hips OFAed good, elbows normal & DM tested normal.

Howard - Do you know who Jim plans to breed her to?

Rudy

From what I understand it's all set up with Wendy.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Chessy people.

I've run into so many up here in Alaska and from what I can tell Chessies are one of Alaskas super dogs. (had one on the cover of Alaska Dog News Feb 2009) Very wide variety of activities, excelling in cold water work, mushingand weight pulling for subsistance and competition, skijoring, and a few in agility. There is a Facebook page for Alaska Chesapeake fans
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=hp#!/gr...9387486&ref=ts

Being a Lab fan I was very impressed with some of these dogs who are literally making life easier for their owners who live in remote areas. There is a breeder in the Tok area that I belive is AKC registered but I can't vouch for the health clearences or their hunting ablility. From the stories they are all around great "jack of all trades" dogs. My tendency would be to select a locally grown dog bred from dogs who have lived and worked up here. My lab from Washington needs booties and a coat in the winter. Wehad to quit hunting for a few hours last fall when it was 40 degrees and she had been on 3 long retrieves. My chessie friends teased me about that.

http://www.alaskadognews.com

To answer your first question I have worked with Wildwood. I got a 10 week old male from Sue last Nov was her Jasper-Dolly litter. He is a great dog, this is the second chessie I have had and was very impressed with the build of all of her dogs. Baron at Wetland Retrievers is the man to know around here for retriever training esspecial with chessies. Also if you are looking to stay in this area I know that Baron knows a few good breeders here. Here are a few pictures of my 9 month old chessie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't think getting a dog from Alaskan stock is very important -- not as much as doing sufficient homework/research, asking lots of questions (& getting real answers), finding a reputable & ethical breeder, and finding the right pup for you. Chessies aren't for everyone -- they just aren't, and there's nothing "wrong" with that.

Karen

I agree with Karen. I had my pup shipped up from the L48 last September and he did great throughout the winter. The little nut actually preferred laying in the snow in the middle of winter. Ask good questions, do research and make sure the breeders aren't just trying to turn pups. I still stay in contact with the breeders on his progress.

Default chessies

I have had 5 chessies since 1996 that where all local dogs and here is my take on them. Each as its own individual personality.
    First chessies was named Bo she was 1 1/2 years old from delta. I got here to give to my granddaughter but she could not keep her because of the lease agreement on the apartment. It took 3 days for the dog to bond to me but she. She was very smart, love to retrive, and had a kind out going personality. She helped to bring me out of my depression as several months earlier I had just lost both parents.
    Bo died on May 14 1998 after being struct by a van. The lose of her was really affecting me so I had my wife get me another chessie puppy that was in the Fairbanks paper. This dog I named DD. She was a good dog. She was very protective of her owners and a good all around dog. She did have the hip diease. She died October 1999 after being hit by a truck.
    Bubba was a male chessie that we got from the Fairbanks animal shelter in June 1998 . Was around 6 years old and was listed in the Fairbanks paper for adoption. He was a good dog real sweet, love to swim, and retrive but hated guns. He live until 2005.
    When DD died in Oct of 99 my wife was in Texas with he dad who was dieing of cancer and I did not want to tell her of DD's death but I did and I told her that I had gotten a lab to replace her. I was told to get another chessie so I did. I was luck enough to find a dog within 5 miles of my house for free. This dog I also named DD as I had all kinds of items with DD's name on them from the other dog. This dog was a rare gift from God.
    She came to us when my wife was hurting from the lost of her dad and she became part of us. I would have never believed that a dog could show such compassion for her owners and other people as she did. She died 30 June 2010 from liver diesase.
    CD was one of DD's puppies that was born in May 2003. Her dad was from the states and a very good dog. CD has problems she is timided and can be aggressive towards strangers. She has a fear complex. Very good retriver will even dive under water for objects.
    My over all take on the Chessie's that they need love, attention, and basic training but they will return that love 10 fold.