Thread: Best way to put boat tags on a raft?

Default Best way to put boat tags on a raft?

O.K. I know this has been talked about here before. Now that I need to put numbers on one of my rafts I can't find anything in the past threads so can anyone tell me again the best way they have found to make the number/tags work on a raft so that (the man is happy)?
    If you are painting the numbers on, what paint do you use to not hurt the fabric,and then what does one do with the 3 year sticker so it will stick?
    Thanks

What kind of boat/fabric?

The one I'm working on now is PVC,but also have a 13 ft otter that some day I might want to add #s.
    For now I just stuck the numbers on some plex-a-glass with the corners rounded off and tied it to the raft. I think it will work at least until some one tells me different.

Default Try this...

Useful tips in an older thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=63476

Good luck.

Thanks leech! This is the post that I was looking for. I sometimes have a hard time finding old posts again. Sounds like what I have done will work fine.Glad to reread the USCG words and to know that in the front half of the raft is ok. I was worried that it had to be right up forward in the rounded area that made it hang funny. Enjoy your summer!

Smile

For both rubber and plastic inflatables (tho' best on plastics)... the solution is very easy, plus will stay on even inflating and deflating for several seasons.

1.) Purchase a 'role' of Tear-Aid Tape, then make a nice spread L x W to ensure content coverage

2.) Lay out whatever size lettering/numbering in reverse order (you can even pen it on to tape adhesive side w/ permanent ink or stencils, urethane coat, fabric cut-outs, etc)
    example: KAYAK-123 will have to be oriented 321-KAYAK and flipped from right to left 'ESI-.....' if you will -
    Affix all info on adhesive side!!!

3.) Clean boat surface (Plastic with flash of MEK) and (rubber with flash of Toluene) where you have 'predetermined' to place the content info on the boat.

4.) Lay down the Tape... starting slowly at one end (may need another set of hands) with the info already stuck down to the tape. Presto!!! you have the several season boat ID attached --- Yes it can eventually be removed w/ a tad of heat gun and a little MEK or toluene clean-up to perfection.

This is one of the ways I do it for Inflatables like sport-boats, rafts & catarafts to create the long lasting permanent effect while also being easy enough to remove at a later date.

Thanks Brian, That does sound like a good way to go for a more permanent attachment. So in 3 years when the tag is due I wonder if it will then stick to the tear-aid tape so you don't have to remove the tape? Best would be to re due it again I suppose.