Thread: 1 blue eye ???

Question 1 blue eye ???

Ok so we got a great looking male black lab 2 weeks ago, and he is now about 11-12 weks old and still has 1 blue eye.
    He is AKC registered, and came from a great family down in the Matsu Valley.
    Should I be concerned or is this just a slow turning eye?
    Thanks for the help.
    Kurt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

Is the eye really blue? Is it just a blue iris or is the whole eye kind of cloudy blue? I can't see the pic too well...it is small.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just the iris is blue, both were blue but the one changed as it should so I have been told.
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

I'm not sure at what age they change but I wouldn't be concerned at 11 weeks.

I'd ask the vet at the next shot session though.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default AKC standards

"Eyes--Kind, friendly eyes imparting good temperament, intelligence and alertness are a hallmark of the breed. They should be of medium size, set well apart, and neither protruding nor deep set. Eye color should be brown in black and yellow Labradors, and brown or hazel in chocolates. Black, or yellow eyes give a harsh expression and are undesirable. Small eyes, set close together or round prominent eyes are not typical of the breed. Eye rims are black in black and yellow Labradors; and brown in chocolates. Eye rims without pigmentation is a disqualification."

So thats what the AKC says about show dogs. Little attention is paid to strict conformation standards for field dogs and many dogs who show could not handle the rigors of a Open test. I'd want to see a 4 or more generation pedigree. In the end it only matters that
    1- the dog has no inherited problems associated with eye color. Deafness happens in some breeds with predominantly white pigement.
    2-Is what your seeing blue iris or an injury? I would advise that you take the dog to the vet within 48 hours of getting him and not wait but since its been 2 weeks - I'd still do it. So, if you have a health issue with the dog you can contact the breeder.

Honestly - I would not breed this dog even if he is a fabulous retriever. You'll have a hard time selling puppies to serious trialers who won't even take a blazed chest or white toed dog. I've had intact males until they were over 2 and mature, neutered with no problems or loss of drive, but always kenneled, on leash or under supervision, never let run loose.
    I say this as a avid Lab lover and having seen at least 15 lab and lab mixes in the shelter in the last month. It's heartbreaking.
    http://www.alaskadognews.com

Linda, When labs eyes first open they're blue for awhile.

I wouldn't be to concerned at 11 weeks.

I have never seen a black lab with a blue eye so I expect it'll change shortly.

Smile We have progress

I have noticed that the eye is slowly changing to match the brown of the other eye. From what I have been told and could find on the web, is that it sometimes the eyes do not change at the same time? Well im happy about the change he did look really nice with the 1 blue eye.
    Have a good day all.

Puppy picture showing blue eyes.

Attachment 36524