Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Peninsula Brown Bear Counting

Default Kenai Peninsula Brown Bear Counting

I wonder if Fish and Wildlife is going to get an accurate estimate of the Peninsula's griz population with their "barbwire baitstation" count this year, and how it will affect our rights. I happen to be one who feels that there will be plenty of uncooperative bears who will not go out of their way to leave DNA samples and also that there will be stations that will be hit extra hard where F&W will have to sort through the hair of maybe 20 or 30 different bears. If this is correct, we will be informed that there are fewer brown bears than there actually are and this could be considered in game management.

The question is, do you suppose that we as hunters might should get involved in this opperation? Would F&W be willing to listen to questions, advise, sightings or accept help from an important user group that this count could affect?

I, for one, due to personal sightings and DLP and encounter reports feel that the griz are thriving on the Peninsula and could use a little management.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mmusashi2k View Post
    I, for one, due to personal sightings and DLP and encounter reports feel that the griz are thriving on the Peninsula and could use a little management.
    Well.....sometimes no matter what other's might think or say.....a man just hasta do what he knows to be the right thing.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Talking

I can get them all the DNA they want at my station, but it'll have to be sanctioned first!

Taylor

Default Lots of brownies

All fish and game needs to do is fly by bear creek on the tustumena ridge, or the newly burned shantatalik creek in July, and they can count probably right around a 100 brown bears. There's no moose left on the tustumena ridge and that's the reason why. They want to do this dumb barb wire thing, so they can count less bears and have another excuse not to have a brown bear hunt. The biologists on the peninsula are just bound determined to ruin the moose hunting down there.

They don't care about the moose. They want Brown bears for the lower 48's to see on there vacations..

Default Exactly.

I'm anticipating the news that there aren't very many bears on the Peninsula although I know better. I see more brown bears than any other type of game anymore and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that there is a connection.

I wouldn't be suprised to see them listed as an "endangered species" after this "survey".

Default one less

They took one out at gwins the other day .Came in 3 times

Quote Originally Posted by mmusashi2k View Post
    I'm anticipating the news that there aren't very many bears on the Peninsula although I know better. I see more brown bears than any other type of game anymore and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that there is a connection.

I wouldn't be suprised to see them listed as an "endangered species" after this "survey".
    really, what do you base this on?
    if you look at the last few years, you will see that F&G is QUIETLY upping the number of permits every year.
    having had lengthy discussions with our regional bios i can assure you they believe there are plenty of brownies on the kenai, and they are doing the best they can to maximize hunting opportunity without calling a lot of attention to the issue.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

They did one of these barbed wire studies on Campbell creek and came away with more dna samples from that one creek than they estimated were in all of 14C. Shortly after that they introduced the brown bear permit in 14C.

Default might want to....

read about Gardner's hair snaring up the Taylor Highway some years back.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    read about Gardner's hair snaring up the Taylor Highway some years back.
    Where do we read about this Mike? How's things going for you and the family? Get any bears this spring? Hope things are going well for you guys out there!

Default Gardner...

Hey Roy, things are going good. I am not sure where to read about it online, but will ask for you. Got a BIG grizz this spring. Saw blacks, but they were rubbed badly by May 27, so a buddy of mine arrowed a big black. Kid passed on a cinnamon about 6'5". She enjoyed watching it and it never turned broadside for her. All in all a good spring, but hoping for more dead ones next spring!

I heard about the "barbwire baitstation" - including there were a few out there set up, all baited with calf blood. Can anyone verify this? How many sites are they running? Surely they won't get an accurage sample by one site alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I can get them all the DNA they want at my station, but it'll have to be sanctioned first!
    I heard F&G, etc. encourages hunters who bait to bring in hair samples of browns found on their sites. I never heard these sites had to be qualified in someway. What considers a bait site an official 'sanctioned' site? Barbwire??
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default Mucho brown bears here!

I heard F&G, etc. encourages hunters who bait to bring in hair samples of browns found on their sites. I never heard these sites had to be qualified in someway. What considers a bait site an official 'sanctioned' site? Barbwire?? [/QUOTE]

If I have my information correct, I'm pretty sure that there are 2 separate hair collections going on at this time on the Kenai Peninsula. I know that the state F&G had a meeting on May 8th where some of the local bear baiters were instructed on how to try and collect some hair samples at their bait stations. This was being carried out in hopes of disproving the supposed number of only 275-300 brown bears on the Kenai Peninsula. *This theoretical number was arrived at years ago, using the extrapolation techinque, (i,e not a real survey or count) and most hunters and common folks have long disagreed with this number, that is primarily pushed by the Feds.
    More recently, the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge (Feds) are doing their own hair sampling program, using a "bait scent" and barbwire, according to their press release that was aired on the local radio stations. They said that they'd be doing this in remote places, away from people and campsites, etc. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out, when all is said and done.

HomerDave, you're talking about Fish and Game. It's Fish and Wildlife who's doing the survey. Very different agendas.

The F&W did a similar study in Yellowstone and Glacier... turned out they had nearly twice as many grizzlies as they thought. The studdy might not be such a bad thing.

Default Feds or State

We on the Kenai, have Fish and Game - State
    and Fish and Wildlife - Feds. or Federallys depending on your background. There is a big differance in the two. Make no mistake about it. This is a FED. FED. FED. thing....... PLEASE HELP SAVE THE BEARS FED................

Default Dumb

The biologists on the peninsula are doing this on purpose, hoping they will count less bears then there is so they don't have to institute a brown bear hunting season. There is no reason on the peninsula we couldn't have a one bear every 3 or 4 regulatory years. Plus the area with the most brownies the tustumena ridge they aren't even going to try to count bears in their study. I've heard of people flying over bear creek in July and counting 60 plus brown bears. The fish and wildlife biologists on the peninsula are just brainwashed, and won't listen to any hunter when they say there are more brown bears. My guess is the vast majority of brownies will smell the human scent on the barb wire and decide not to leave a hair sample.

Default almost 1 less

Seen one Sat night around 1130 pm about 3-4 miles east of Coopers landing on the side of the road.. It was going to cross.. I braked.. Honked and about locked the whole rig up..Roughly a 7 footer in size.. 4-5 year old.. Pretty bold though the way he was acting and about got smooshed..But he or she lives another day.. Cool sighting though none the less..

What? All that and no hair sample? Kidding aside, I saw a black about there a week ago about 10pm. Big bear and nice coat, but he also had no fear and basically ignored me. I pulled up next to him and took a few photos on my iPhone 6' away (luckily there was no traffic).
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast