Thread: ShoeDawgs Ultimate ATV GEAR LIST Part 1!!!

Eagle River AK

Default ShoeDawgs Ultimate ATV GEAR LIST

With the ATV riding season already here, I thought I would post a guide on some of the gear/practices I have used in my riding experiences. I also have included stuff from other riders and from people on this forum. It is pretty extensive and I am sure a lot more can be added. Hope you all enjoy it and have a safe riding season.

Part 1

SHOVEL – Use a small portable one

Tri-Folding Shovel
    There’s the Army Style Shovel that can be folded in threes for easy storage. These can be found at Army Surplus stores or local venders.

Avalanche Shovel
    An avalanche shovel is also another choice. Light weight and portable. They can be found at your local snow machine dealers or sports stores.

SAW -

Folding Saw
    Small and easy to store. DO NOT GO CHEAP OR YOU WILL GET CHEAP!! Used for to cut brush, small trees, clearing the trail, fuel for emergency fires, etc. This can help with getting your rig out of mud for traction or prying. You can also cut a good size log and bury it for a ground anchor if you don’t have a tree or rock to anchor to or a fabricated ground anchor. May be used for making a wood bridge like the one at Buffalo Mine Road!!!

Chainsaws are nice, but add bulk and weight. On top of that you need to carry bar-oil, tools, extra chain and fuel for it.

Great for a many of things. Gerber, Estwing and Fiskars all make great axes from small to large size.

Ratchet Straps
    Ratchet Straps are good for a lot of things. The can be used to secure gear to your rig or other sorts of applications. Ratchet Straps can be used as well to help reseat a popped bead. To do this, wrap it all the way around the tire, CENTERED, in the middle of the tread pattern. Tighten it down until the air in the tire sets the bead on the rim. Loosen it up once the bead is set.

Tow Straps/Rope
    Tow straps for pulling buddies out of the stuck or towing them back to the trail head. DON’T JERK a quad out of the mud. This just increases the chances of causing some unexpected damage to the machine.

Stretchy Tow Strap
    Sportsman’s Warhouse sales a Stretchy Tow Strap for about twenty bucks. I have used it a few times to pull buddies from the mud and they are easy to wrap around the rack of your quad as oppose to wrapping a non stretch one a few times around, but I still carry both with me.

Bungee Cords (Various sizes/lengths)
    Bungee cords are great for all sorts of situations and strap down needs. Get various sizes/lengths to help meet the need.

Rope material, length and diameter size is a choice you must make for yourself to fit your needs. 550 Cord (aka parachute cord) in the length of 100 feet suits me just fine. It is great for tying down things, rigging a tarp for a rain fly, lashing up a meat pole, setting up a blind, etc. Learn some knots and some lashing skills and PRACTICE!!

3/8 Drive Sockets
    Buy a QUALITY set!! Or you can check all your nuts/bolts on your quad and get the sockets that match to what is on the machine. Doing this saves you weight and space and is tailored for your ATV as oppose to having a full socket kit BUT having a full socket set may help out a buddy who doesn’t necessarily have the same bolt/nut sizes you do. Having socket extenders are nice too. Don’t FORGET the spark plug as well; make sure you a have deep sized spark plug socket to help out!!

Interchangeable Screwdriver Kit (Get A Quality One!!)
    Again get a good one! Same info as mentioned above.

Box End Wrenches
    Same as above!

Medium Sized Vise Grips

Pliers/Needle Nose/Wire Cutters
    You can usually substitute all three of these with a Gerber/Leatherman Multi-Tool. Wire cutters also make a great clean snip when trimming zip-ties.

Small ATV Jumper Cables
    You can buy some or make them yourself. To make them all you need is low voltage wire and some medium sized alligator clips. Crimp em’ together and you are good to go!

Used for oil/gas/diff/coolant changes and/or fill ups. Get a small one; you don’t need a huge one. On a note about funnels you may also want to carry a funnel called “Mr. Funnel”. It is actually a fuel/water separator and removes all the containments in the fuel. May be good to have on hand in case you get dirt/water into your fuel tank from a dump or roll over. My buddy has used his and he says it works great. AIH sales them for a reasonable price. The small one is all you really need.

Carry an assortment that meets the needs of your ATV. Don’t won’t to blow a fuse and not have an extra one.

Dielectric Grease
    This should be done before hand, but use it on all your electrical connections. It also plays a big part in preventive maintenance. It is used to help prevent corrosion by sealing out moisture. It can also be used to apply to the rubber boot on the spark plug, and in a pinch help grease small moving parts if need be.

RTV is basically rubber in a tube. It does a great job of sealing leaking SMALL holes, cracks etc. Give it some time to dry though. Most dry in a few hours, general rule though it takes 24 hours to cure.

Get the red shop type you see mechanics use.

Duct Tape
    Can be used for anything!! Nuff Said!

Electric Tape
    Used for protecting wires that are frayed or exposed to the elements. Can use to keep spliced wiring together and protected. Also great for routing wires or keeping them out of the way of moving parts or on your handle bars.

High Pressure/High Temp/Self-Fussing Tape
    There are a ton of applications and uses for this tape. It can withstand low/high temps, high pressures and can be used even underwater.

JB Weld/Loctite
    JB Weld used for “cold welding” material together. Loctite for bolts, screws, etc.

Aerokroil is for loosening up bolts and such. It is penetrating oil and works great. WD40 is pretty much self explanatory.

Have an assortment on hand varying in size. I would recommend using heavy-duty long zip-ties. Used for a lot of different reasons.

A very handy all around tool!! I prefer Gerber over Leatherman but both work great. Most come with a file, knife, small awls, wire cutters built into the needle nose. I usually keep this on my belt as I ride for easy access. Can replace the need to having a set of pliers, needle nose and wire cutters, saving space and weight.

Small Hammer
    To beat your buddy with after he gets stuck for the third time!! Great for banging out that stuck bolt that needs to be replaced, tent stakes, hammering in a ground anchor, etc. Alternative is using a strong hand sized rock that is lying about.

Spare Nuts/Bolts
    An assortment of spare nuts and bolts is good to have JUST in case you need to replace a busted up bolt or missing nut.

Bailing Wire
    Can be used for making clips, such as c-clips, or other forms of fashion.

Hose Clamps
    Carry some spares….never know when you gotta clamp a line down.

Make your own. All you really need is about 5 feet of clear plastic good size diameter tubing. Make sure it is clear, that way you can see the fuel/fluid coming, and you’re not swallowing a bunch of mid grade 87. Get the tubing at Lowes or AIH. AIH sells one that has a brass coupling at the end with a marble on the inside. All you have to do is shake it up and down and it creates the vacuum for you.

Small Pry/Breaker Bar
    They come in all sorts of makes and sizes. Find one that you think you may need.

CO2 Tire Inflator
    I am not a big fan of these, but they are light weight and do not take up much room. On the down side though is that once you use up your CO2 cartages you’re out, so carry spares. You may also run into the problem if the CO2 cartage doesn’t fill the tire enough with air, due to not seeing a popped bead, hole, etc. And by the time you buy them over the years you’ve just paid for a 12v portable air compressor.

12V Air Compressor
    Unlimited air unlike CO2 cartages. Runs off your AC Adapter/battery connectors and they are very light and small. Slime sells a kit at Wal-Mart for pretty cheap that comes with a bottle of slime, the compressor, tire pressure gauge, and a little box to put it all in.

Tire Pressure Gauge
    Get one that measures LOW pressure between 1-20psi. 10-50psi is over kill and from my experience and others DOES NOT give an accurate reading. FYI the slime kit I purchased from Wal-Mart comes with a tire pressure gauge that read between 10-50psi.

Plug Kit –Plugs/Plunger & Tire Reamer
    Used for those nasty punctures on the trail. Carry a few plugs. Make sure you have a Plug Plunger and a Tire Reamer. Know how to use them. Slime and other companies sell kits that are used for ATV tires.

Spare Valve Cap/Valve Stem/Valve Core/Valve Wrench
    Handy to have if you bust/lose any of these often over looked tire parts. Having a valve wrench is handy as well to make a replacing easy.

Hi-Lift Jack
    Just in case you need to jack up your rig for any repairs or other insane situations you may be in.

Slime is a great tire sealant that can be handy while riding. A typical ATV tire may take 24-32 ounces of Slime to work properly, sometimes less. Make sure you get TUBELESS Slime!! And always read the manufactory’s instructions to properly apply. Slimes website has a great FAQ posted. Fix-A-Flat will work in a pinch, but I would HIGHLY recommend NOT using it. Another company to look into for all tire repairs needs is Safety Seal.

Carry enough for a change or two if you are planning to be out for days at a time. Bring a funnel to make transfer easy.

Filters – Oil/Air/Fuel
    Carry spare ones. It is NOT easy trying to clean an Air filter or oil filer while on the trail. You may be able to rig your portable air compressor to shoot air out of its nozzle to clean up a air filter if you don’t have an extra one on hand. Water works too, just make sure it is clean and DON’T use your drinking water. Find a clear running stream instead.

Gallon Size Zip-Loc Bags
    Used to catch oil/differential during changes. When you have caught all the fluid you can start a fire and burn it. It’s better than leaving it soak into the ground or running into water sources. You can also collect it in the bags and transfer it to the empty oil bottle you just used to put your new oil in your quad. Use a funnel to keep the transfer clean. This SHOULD be the preferred method. Keep it clean people.

Helps to remove water from fuel.

Spark Plugs

Extra Belt

Spare Bulbs for all your lights

Extra Starter Rope
    Having extra starter rope may come in handy if you snap your cord while trying to start your quad. If you don’t have one and need one try using 550 cord and jerry rig it to your rig.

Packet of Fitted Gaskets
    There are different materials to be used for gaskets such as fiber, cork, high temperature rubber etc. You can buy them in sheets in variable sizes and thickness. Make sure you have a sharp razor with you to cut it out for the shape/size you need for whatever you are using it for.

Keep your manual with you. Never know when you may need it and can be useful for troubleshooting issues with your quad. Don’t won’t to get it wet or destroyed?? Make copies of it, or download the pdf file online and print it out and take it with you.

Flat Tanks
    Flat tanks are awesome!! They can be strapped to the front/back of your quad. Sense the tank is designed to be flat; you reclaim a lot of space that can be used for strapping more gear on top of the flat tank. If you have both the front and back full of bags, gear, etc, they do make REAR mounted gas racks that hang off the back of your ATV that are designed specifically for flat gas tanks. These are a bit pricier than normal gas jugs, but are well worth it. I have a 5 gallon one and LOVE IT!! Just beware some tend to leak fuel, like the Koplin Flat Tank I have. There is a lot of information on the net to fix this issue.

Regular Gas Jugs-
    They work as well but I think they claim too much valuable rack space and are a pain in the butt to strap down. Rear gas tank holders are made for these as well and some are sold as kits.

Eagle River AK

Default ShoeDawgs Ultimate ATV GEAR LIST Part 2!!!

PART 2

We can talk all day about winches. What type, brand, power, and weight it can pull, etc…I will not elaborate here about them. Search the forum for some good info about which one may meet your needs. I have Warn RT25 and it suits me fine. But regardless of what type of winch you pick, having one is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! Now ya’ don’t want to leave that nice $6,700 quad stuck in the mud out in the middle of Bum F’in Alaska do ya’?? Or walk back 15 miles to the trail head!!

Snatch Block
    A very useful tool to have for winching purposes. It is used for to double your winching power and to winch at different angles rather than straight on. Read and follow all safety guidelines and know how to PROPERLY use them!!

Anchor Webbing/Tree Savers
    I prefer these rather than directly hooking a winch cable to an anchor point (i.e. trees, rocks, etc). Plus using webbing helps decrease the wear and tear on your cable. Also a cable bites into a tree thus increasing the chance of the tree dying. Make sure the webbing/tree saver has a high strength rating.

Chains/Chocker Chains
    Chains are strong and durable. But be selective about buying a STRONG chain. Lengths will vary depending on your needs. Down side is that they are heavy and a 10 foot heavy duty chain can take up room. Applications are usually for towing, anchor systems, etc…

Come Along/Winch Pulley
    Come Alongs are available in different sizes/weight/strengths. Some use chains, rope, synthetic rope, cable wire. They are great to have if you have to winch from the rear if you have to or you are riding by yourself or a buddy doesn’t have a winch on his wheeler. A Winch Pulley works as well and is less bulky but not as strong as a Come Along and usually has to be mounted. Both can be used to help extend your reach for a tug out of the mud or bog.

Extra Winch Cable
    Great to have along in case of a cable snap. Lengths vary in size and material. Make sure the drum on your winch can hold the amount of cable that it was designed for. Synthetic rope is awesome and just as strong if not stronger than regular aircraft grade cable. Both are prone to frays though, but synthetic rope doesn’t hold a lot of energy like cable does and won’t fly with the force to cut your head in half like a cable can. Also be leery of the type of fairlead you are using. Some fairleads are designed for synthetic cable only. If you are using a fairlead that is used for a regular cable the synthetic cable has a high chance of getting pinched into the fairlead rollers, thus weakening and damaging the synthetic cable.

Winch Cable Repair Kit
    Designed to fix that snapped cable because you didn’t bring an extra cable with you. There are different techniques to use to fix a snapped cable. Do a Google search and educate yourself on them.

Land Anchor
    Don’t have any trees or rocks or a buddy around to help you get out of the stuck?? A land anchor will do the trick and is a MUST have if you are wheeling in areas with muddy bogs and no anchor points. There are several brands out there. Cabela’s makes one for ATVs. Pull-Pals are awesome but pretty pricey. If you have some welding skills, you can make one out of rebar and weld a hook to it. You could also use a couple of heavy logs and bury them into the ground, but this takes work and some effort. But I would highly recommend learning how to do it, for one of those “Just In Case” situations.

Mountaineering Pulleys
    Used for rigging, well, rigs!! Use at least at the minimum a 2” wheel and a 5,000LB rating. Have at least two of them. Learn how to set up Z-Rigs and Pig Rigs. These rigs can increase pulling power like crazy and can help out tremendously in a serious jam. Google or get some books to learn this VERY useful set of skills.

Snap/Locking Carabineers
    Carabineers come in handy for all sorts of situations and used. Use locking carabineers for any type of pulling, hauling, etc. Can also be used to hang your meat or setting up a bear bag system. Be sure they are rated high.

Used for winching applications. Highly recommend to have.

NOTE ON WINCHING: Study and learn winching techniques. Use the skills to help you get out of a jam. NEVER pull more than your winch is designed for. Using winching accessories helps keep the wear and tear down on a winch and can double the power in some winching applications. And As Always USE SAFETY and wear gloves!!!

Water Purifier/Water Tabs
    Water Purifiers, the kind you pump to filter out CERTAIN types of bacteria with are handy and affordable. They are light weight and easy to use, and there is no waiting for the water to be purified like Water Tablets. Water tablets are OK, very easy to carry and stow, but take time to work, and leave somewhat of a bitter taste in the mouth. You can also boil water as well. Just boil for 10 minutes and you’ll have drinking water, takes time but it will do the job. I prefer water purifiers myself.

First Aid Kit
    These can range from small to HUGE!! Regardless the size, you should ALWAYS carry a first aid kit!!! They can be tailored to fit your needs and the riding you will be doing. Carry an assortment of band-aids, 2x2’s, dressings, alcohol wipes, and handkerchiefs. Some carry tourniquets, for EXTREME and RARE cases. Knowing BASIC first aid should be a MUST for all who ride trails…you can save a life or yours.

Fire Starters
    There are multiple ways to start a fire. You can buy small portable fire sticks, flint and steel starters, magnesium kits, matches, lighters, etc. Waterproof matches work well or you can make your own. Just dip the heads into melted wax to seal them. A CHEAP way to keep them dry is in a Tylenol bottle which is water tight. Carry a candle as well, it is easier to start a fire with one, and you don’t have to use a lot of matches to get a fire started. Another trick to get a fire started is to get some “Boy Scout Cheater Fire Water”. All it is is Zippo fluid that can be purchased in a small bottle. Easy to pack and makes getting a fire to start easily. Soaking cotton balls in Vaseline and saving your dryer lent an keeping it in a zip lock bag make awesome fire starters. Again read and learn about creating fires in books and the net.

Flares/Pen Flares
    In the “Oh Sh**” situation and you need to signal for help, flares can be seen from a distance. They can be used to start a fire quickly. Pen flares are nice, because they are small and easy to pack.

Signal Mirrors
    Can be seen from miles if used properly. Thin, light, and easy to use.

Whistles are meant to get attention. I carry an army issued plastic whistle with me. Plastic won’t freeze to your lips if you’re in cold weather unlike metal ones. They also will save your throat from yelling out for help. REMEMBER 3 WHISTLE, GUN SHOT, LIGHT, ETC, BLASTS IS THE INTERNATIONAL DISTRESS SIGNAL FOR HELP!!!

Need some help? These will help you get home. Spot Devices are pretty neat and fairly affordable. Push the help button, and it’s on its way. You can even give an “All is OK” to family members who are back home. They can track you on Google maps and see where you currently are. Downside is that it IS a subscription service but affordable. Go to for more info. Satellite phones are EXPEN$IVE, bulky, but work. And we all know about cell phones, just got to worry about getting service or not.

Space Blankets/Emergency Blanket
    Used to reflect radiant heat, to keep you warm. Very cheap, light weight, and very small to pack. Some are wind/water proof. HIGHLY recommended to carry. You could also carry an emergency blanket. I have a U.S. issued wool blanket I sometimes use. They can be used for a lot of different things, such as making a stretcher with two strong branches, or cushion for a splint. Down side is they are heavy and very bulky to pack.

NOTE ABOUT SURVIVAL KIT: Remember to use your head and be flexible, creative and inventive when it comes down to a survival situation. All your gear/equipment you are carrying can be used for a lot of different survival applications. The best piece of equipment though is the one between your eyes. Again EDUCATE yourself on some basic survival methods, you never know when you may have to use them one day, your life can depend on it.

Eagle River AK

Default ShoeDawgs Ultimate ATV GEAR LIST Part 3

PART 3

Empty Plastic Soda Bottles/CamelBaks
    Keep a couple of empty 2 liter plastic soda bottles and take them with you. They are nearly indestructible, cheap and can be used many times over. In a pinch they can be cut in half for funnels or other means. Nalgene bottles are good too, but pricey and only hold some much water. Camelbaks makes drinking hands free and

DEET/Dope/Mosquito Head Net
    Ok so we all know that the state bird here in Alaska is the Mosquito, so bring something to fight the nasty critters off.

Tarp/Rain Fly
    Having some type of tarp (recommended 8x10 or bigger) or rain fly can be used for all sorts of functions and purposes. If you are camping with one the obvious use for it is to keep one dry. Some other ideas is using it for dragging wood, making a stretcher, collecting water, covering your quad, etc…bring rope (I like to use 550 cord) to make maximum use of one.

2-Way Radios
    These are fun to use and can be quite handy when trying to stay in communication within a group. These affordable radios can go long distances, depending on model, and most have a weather band on them so one can monitor any changes in the weather that may call drastic planning or a fun filled sunny day. Research and stay away from the El-CheapOs!!!! You get what you pay for. And don’t forget the extra batteries.

Topo Map/Compass/GPS
    Don’t be a fool and take a map and compass with you. Topo maps are the best to use. They are very detailed showing elevation gains, rivers, valleys, saddles, etc…know how to read one and orient it with a compass. GPSs are nice, but good ole fashion map and compass skills should be essential knowledge. Topos are available just for the area you will be riding in….check out the USGS website for more info. With a GPS though one can get a really good idea where they are at, and can mark way points for interesting finds or bad bogs to stay away from…I use a Garmin 550t and it rocks…you can buy RAM Mounts for your particular unit and mount it to your quad’s handle bars for easy access and navigation. The GPS store in Anchorage sales them or you can look for them here at their website Also some models include AC adapters that will go with said model that plug right into your quad for unlimited power and all day use.

Bring one, even during our long summer months….I like headlamps because they free up my hands for tasks….also you never know when you may run into a cave and want explore.

Keep that sand, dust, grit, water, brush, bugs, twigs, mud, whatever out of the eyes…protect your eyes when you need too.

Dry Bags
    Keep your gear dry when you ride. Invest into a dry bag. NRS makes some of the best dry bags out there. Wal-mart sells a decent dry bag duffel bag. My buddy has one, and rolled his quad one time during a river crossing at Boulder Creek trail, thus dumping the bag into the river, needless to say all his clothes/gear was dry which was a relief when he changed into dry clothes.

Sleeping Bag/Sleeping pad (Thermarest)
    Get a good rated sleeping bag for the weather conditions you are going to be in. I have one of those GI issued bags that the rating can be changed for 30 degrees down to below -50 degrees. A sleeping pad is a MUST!!! It helps insulate you from the ground, thus preventing your body heat from being absorbed from the ground, making you cold. Also it provides a comfort from sleeping on a rock jabbing into your sides. I use a Thermarest which can be converted into a chair for relaxing around the campfire after a long day of riding. Foam pads work just as well and are cheaper, but can easily get torn up from twigs and such that may snag on the pad.

If you wear waiters when you ride and get a hole in em’, fix em’ up with some Shoe-Goo to solve the problem.

Chest Waders/Hip boots
    Keep you dry but can make you hot as well. Neoprene chest waders will not tear as easy as and make you hot if dressed in layers. Breathable waders are light weight but if you want to stay warm you got to dress in layers. Hip boots work just fine for most of the riding I have done. Keep in mind you will have to make a decision on getting a pair of chest waiters with built in shoes or getting the ones that require you to buy shoes. Make a choice that will fit your needs and pocket book.

Extra Batteries
    Bring extra FRESH batteries for all your devices that need them, such as flashlights GPSs, phones, etc.

Bear Spray
    If you don’t want to carry a firearm bear spray is an alternative to use to defend yourself. Know how to use it properly and make sure the wind isn’t blowing in your face when you use it, or you’ll just be making yourself a nice spicy dinner for that bear.

Firearm Protection from Wildlife
    I will not recommend or elaborate on the type of firearm to carry with you for protection while out in the bush. Everyone has his/her opinion on which one is the best to carry. I have heard it all, from shot guns to 454 Casull. Do some research and ask around. I carry a double action Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt. If you are going to use a firearm for protection MAKE SURE YOU CAN HANDLE IT AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT PROPERLY AND SAFELY!!! A lot of accidents happen from improper use/knowledge/practices of using a fire arm. Carry extra ammo as well.

NOTE ABOUT BEARS: The last thing I want to do is shoot a bear on DLP (Defense of Life and Property). A lot of this can be avoided if people would educate themselves when it comes to dealing with bears. There is a ton of information out there that needs to be read and advice followed. I am not saying don’t take out a bear if the situation arises for the need to. Let’s try to keep our Alaskan bear deaths from DLP down.

Gas Stoves
    Having a gas stove saves time from having to find wood, getting a fire started and keeping it going to cook some grub while riding on the trails. Also if the summer is very dry you run the chance of maybe starting a wild fire, thus ruining some beauty, destroying wildlife, structures and creating possible danger for others who may be in the area. Gas stoves are easy to use, fast, and safe. I use the same stove for when I go backpacking. It’s a MSR Whisperlite. It’s small, easy use to, pack and can boil/cook my food pretty quick. Make sure to carry extra fuel if you’re gonna be out for awhile, especially hunting!!! MSR makes small portable gas bottles that easily equips to their stoves.

Leave the heavy duty cookware at home, unless you plan cooking over a camp fire. I have a light weight 2 pot set I use for my MSR stove. They are plenty big enough to boil water and cook my food in. Easy to carry and store and clean. Carry a spoon, fork and knife. Try using a “Spork” which can be had for about 3 dollars. If ya don’t know what one is, it is a spoon on one end and a for on the other. A nice field cup is a treat for drinking camp coffee or sipping some whisky while relaxing around the campfire.

I can talk forever on tents but won’t. I have several different types at home for different seasons and reasons. If you’re going to be gone for a few days and have some good establish campsites and light weight 3 man tent works just fine. Going to be gone for a week? I like the heavy duty canvas tents, because they can resist tears in the bush, keep you warmer, and are weather durable. The weight and bulkiness of these tents are the price you pay though for using them. Sometimes they require 2-3 people to set up, but offer a lot of room. I also use a hammock that has a bug net and comes with a rain fly that fits neatly over the hammock. I use one from Eagle’s Nest Outfitters. You can buy them at REI or check out their website at

Other Misc. Stuff -

Wet Naps

Extra Socks

Extra Shirt

Extra Pants

Long Johns

Work Gloves

Poncho/Rain Gear/Gortex (Pants & Coat)

Cold Weather Gear

Wash Cloth

Extra Key (In case you lose the yours)

TP in a Zip-lock Bag

Can Opener

Machete/Kukri Knife

Cotter Pins

Leave a trip schedule with someone who is responsible. Let them know where you will be riding, with whom, and when you are expected to return. Leave them important contact numbers, and let them know when your are back!!! Every rider should follow this simple yet important rule!!!

Getting’ Her Ready!!
    Make sure your quad is ready for the trail. Check the oil, belts, lugs, tire pressure, lights, chains etc. Lube/grease parts that need them and do that needed oil change before you bounce outta there for the weekend. Check your tires conditions, lines, etc. Do a good through inspection and correct any issues that may arise. DON’T BE CAUGHT OFF GUARD WHILE ON THE TRAIL AND CREATE A HEADACHE FOR YOURSELF!!!

Thanks for reading my guide!! Happy Trails and Safe Riding!!!

North Pole Alaska

Wow thats gonna be a big load.

I carry
    1. bottle of water
    2. tow strap
    3. granola bars
    4. tire repair kit--added last year after I had a flat
    5. a buddy to tie the other end of the tow strap too.

Eagle River,AK

A person would need a full size 4X4 pickup to carry all that gear !
    Much better to go light.

Eagle River AK

Talking About the List

LOL OK!! I need to clear things up. This is just a list of IDEAS of what one could take with them when they go riding....I really made it for new riders who may not have the experience of not knowing what to take....the list is NOT a "take all thats on this list with you". It is intended to be a guide, and from there one can formulate their own "list" to meet their needs. Some people may find items on the list as useful and as must haves; others will be like "I wont be carrying that" could carry all this stuff but like the other poster said, you would need a 4x4....

Default I do carry...

Just about every trip:

Air compressor and patch kit.
    Full rain gear.
    Improved tool kit to ensure ability to do repairs.
    Tow strap.
    Wire clamp tool and wire.
    Gorilla tape.
    Electrical tape.
    Microfiber cloth in bag to wipe goggles.
    Extra gloves.
    Something to make fire.
    Emergency blanket.
    100' of parachute cord.
    Extra grub.
    Extra water.
    Ziploc with about ten folded paper towels in it.

That's not a big load.

Eagle River

I'm the one in my group that packs it all but the kitchen sink. It all fits in my box on the front rack, under the seat or in the "glove box" on my Yamaha Grizzly. I know it seems like a lot, but it packs pretty compactly, and much of it has been needed at one point or another by me or someone in my group.

-Backcountry Medical Kit, Complete
    -Snacks and water
    -Tire repair kit, air gauge, and small compressor (a must-have!)
    -Fix-a-Flat or Green Slime
    -Zip ties
    -Duct tape
    -Parachute cord
    -Emergency repair high temp/self adhesive tape
    -Small tool kit (crescent wrench, sockets and wrench, multi-tip screwdriver)
    -Small assortment of pins/bolts/screws
    -Small metal dish
    -Road flares
    -Mosquito head nets (for when we have to stop and do a repair in bug-city)
    -Baby wipes or Alcohol hand sanitizer
    -Toilet paper
    -Extra batteries
    -Handwarmers (chemical and charcoal stick)
    -Signal mirror
    -Emergency blanket
    -Personal emergency water filter
    -Glow sticks
    -Flashlight (small) and headlamp
    -Extra clothes in drybag + raingear (I'll often wear fishing bib waders on really muddy trips)
    -Small saw
    -Kukri Knife
    -Pocket Knife/Leatherman
    -Knife sharpener
    -Tow Strap (1 short, 1 long)
    -Magic Metal
    -Aero-Kroil (Like WD-40 on steroids)
    -Extra oil (for when you roll the machine and it all goes up into the air box)
    -.44 Mag
    -Bandana (multiple uses)
    -McMurdo FastFind PLB
    -Cell phone
    -2 way radios (not on all trips)
    -Gas can (not on all trips)
    -Extra key to machine
    -Bungee net (like a small cargo net) to tie misc items to rear rack

On my body:
    -Helmet w/ goggles or glasses
    -Good boots
    -Weather appropriate clothing
    -A small emergency kit in case I get separated from machine and group
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.