Thread: Nallo 3 GT weight questions???

Default Nallo 3 GT weight questions???

Gents - recently purchased the Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT. Website as well as others' posts say this tent is ~ 6 lbs. I received mine this week and weighed the tent, poles, rain fly, stakes and footprint...it came in right at 8 lbs...seems a bit heavy??? Thoughts...
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Lightbulb sorry

just realized the footprint adds ~ 1.5 lbs...that explains it.

Next question (that I hopefully won't answer b/c of my own stupidity...)

Do you guys use the footprint on sheep hunts or leave it behind to save on weight?

Default meh

Matters how much rock and ice you expect to encounter. I would take it if you expect it to be extremely harsh terrain. Shale will cut up the bottom of a tent fairly quickly. However, many times you can take a small roll of tyvek plastic as a foot print that weighs much less.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default That worried about weight...

Get the fibraplex poles. Cuts the pole weight in half.

I don't bring the footprint on sheep hunts that I'm worried about weight on. Every time I set it up I am always able to find an ideal place to set up with soft ground, large enough, etc. I agree that if you are expecting rough terrain, then you might want to bring it along.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I don't bring the footprint on sheep hunts that I'm worried about weight on. Every time I set it up I am always able to find an ideal place to set up with soft ground, large enough, etc. I agree that if you are expecting rough terrain, then you might want to bring it along.
    +1 here. The Nallo GT 3 ( I have one too) is a non-freestanding tent, so setting up on top of a field off shale or rocks is going to be unlikely anyways as I will no doubt look to pitch on some tundra. If wheeler camping or boat camping and maybe going to be on a gravel bar or something then sure pack it along. Backpacking I'll save the weight and just choose a better campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Anchorage View Post
    just realized the footprint adds ~ 1.5 lbs...that explains it.

Next question (that I hopefully won't answer b/c of my own stupidity...)

Do you guys use the footprint on sheep hunts or leave it behind to save on weight?
    When I bought my Hilleberg Tarra I was talking with Hilleberg and asked the guy what he thought about the footprints. He said they never use them. 8lbs ain't bad though for 2 guys. That's what my tent weighs and is less than the North Face Mtn 25 which is kind of like the 30-06 or 44mag of 2 man mtn tents.

Default feedback

based on yall's feedback I will just leave the footprint at home on the sheep hunt. Save 1 lbs 5 oz.