Thread: 416 Taylor

Default 416 Taylor

Hello everyone..I am reloading a 416 Taylor..For brass, I am using a necked down 458 Win. mag. Brass and need load data for 300 and 350 grain Barnes Bullets..anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by mogas View Post
    Hello everyone..I am reloading a 416 Taylor..For brass, I am using a necked down 458 Win. mag. Brass and need load data for 300 and 350 grain Barnes Bullets..anyone?
    Send a PM to "MURPHY", I'm willing to bet he would have your data on hand.

Default .416 loads

I've been using RP .458 brass, CCI LR Mag primers, and IMR 4320 powder. 400 gr Hornady RN over 68 gr powder. Bullet seated right at the lower egde of the crimp groove. Excellent accuracy in my custom Mark X. Also have the Barnes X 350 over 73 gr powder. Overall length too long for my Mark X magazine box, and bullet too long to seat deeper. Hope this info gives you something to compare with. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Kimo and Marshal. I really like this big bore rifle but can only think of the biggest bear to use it on.. I actually like my 35 whelen and my 8mm 06 the best for hunting. I found that I dislike my 338 Win mags because of accuracy issues...

Have to pay to play, but Load Data has info:

http://www.loaddata.com/members/sear...loading%20Data

Thanks for the reply GD Yankee;
    I was looking for a customer support phone number to Loaddata but was not successful. I tried the "Contact customer support" on their web site but it seems that I only get an error or msg that my computer is not configured correctly for that! I even tried to order bullets from them hoping to get a phone number on that page! No luck! Loaddata looks like something I would want to subscribe to but would like a phone number to them also...can you help?

Go to barnes website and look around. I think there's a menu at the bottom with load data.

Got it!, Thanks for the reply..

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpa...?CaliberID=151

Try this out. They have a lot of loads to compare and at least get you headed in the right direction.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Thanks bigswede. The sight looks interesting

Wildcat Cartridges Volume II
    Any Shot You Want by Alphin
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I was using necked down 458 win brass, but I messed up more than a few.
    I also tried necking up 358 Norma brass... it worked,,, sorta....

Finally I just ordered some Quality Brass via midway...It is already marked 416 Taylor and it was not all that expensive.

Plus if I ever go back to Africa the brass and rifle caliber / cartridge markings will match...

I am loading either 71 grains of RL-15 or 71 grains of H-4895 with a Hornady 400 grain round nose.
    At first I was using federal 215Ms, but for some reason the most recent batches have not been so good. Old WW magnum primers worked better... go figure...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thanks float pilot and Nitroman! I will look into that site Nitro. Hey Floatpilot, I am using RCBS dies.. and found that the dies always work very well when using Winchester brass...I will look into buying brass already formed into 416 taylor but then I will have to fire form them anyway because this is an Ackley improved verssion..