Thread: Spot and stalk Blackies

Default Spot and stalk Blackies

Question, does anyone know where I can hunt blackies spot and stalk. I hunt over bait and want to do it the more challenging way. I have never heard of anyone hunting black bears on foot other than down on the coast, i.e. Valdez. So if someone would point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

If in the area you bait you can spot and stalk them there also
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    Question, does anyone know where I can hunt blackies spot and stalk. I hunt over bait and want to do it the more challenging way. I have never heard of anyone hunting black bears on foot other than down on the coast, i.e. Valdez. So if someone would point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.
    Head to the mountains, use some 10x binoculars to spot one way up there then scramble after it is the most common way. Lots of folks do it, there are more than a few hunt reports on this board by members that use this method. I like to hunt them like sheep though I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet I put my cousin on a couple last year. I find a nice mountain side w/ lots of berries then get up on top of it. Hike along the benches and spot down. When you find one just use the terrain to hide your approach. In the fall the ones we stalked were so busy hoovering up blue berries that getting very close was fairly easy. I have a good series of ridges that consistently has bears but if I didn't I would glass from below till I found several animals then find a route up and stay up top till I found a good bear. I basically go up like I am going to spike camp on a sheep hunt. All ultralight gear and not much of it.

jcorwin,
    I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a question for anybody in AK that hunts bears or knows the answer.
    I don't remember seeing any griz shot over baits threads - is that a no no in AK and just for blacks? I see threads where they are shot off of kill sites - not the same?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    jcorwin,
    I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a question for anybody in AK that hunts bears or knows the answer.
    I don't remember seeing any griz shot over baits threads - is that a no no in AK and just for blacks? I see threads where they are shot off of kill sites - not the same?
    Thanks
    Illegal to take brown/grizz off of baits but if you down an animal (deer, bear, bou) you can hunt the gut pile.

Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    Illegal to take brown/grizz off of baits but if you down an animal (deer, bear, bou) you can hunt the gut pile.
    Thanks B&C!

Spot and stalk for black bears in the spring has become my favorite hunt each year. As LuJon said, head to the mountains, but it's best to do it before the brush leafs out. Just keep glassing and glassing. You'll see one...they'll just pop out of nowhere and disappear just as fast.

When you spot and stalk on the mountain sides in the spring, the bears have usually just come out of their dens and they're heading for grass on the mountain to get their GI track going again...so their hides are usually not rubbed at all. I assume that by the time they hit bait, they've been out of their dens for awhile and you have to judge the quality of the hide (although I'm just speculating because I don't shoot them over bait...but I'll defend your right to do it).

Get good at sizing them, so you don't hike up a steep mountain for a thousand feet only to realize it's a 4.5' bear. Sizing can be tricky sometimes because there is little to reference on the mountain, and you may start talking yourself into believing you have spotted a really big bear when it's not.

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find a really nice one like the one I shot this year (it squared 7' 1")...

Doc

Default Useless without pictures

OK Doc, you opened up a can of worms telling us about your megasaurus Black Bear.......Pics?

A spot and stalk story too would be great.

All right Horse, I'll bite. Humans do lie, so I don't blame you...here you go:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=79951&page=4

Look for my post on the last page.

Doc

Nice bear doc.

I'm assuming you packed it out? Did you weigh the boned out meat and the hide/skull? 2 or 3 trips? I want to do more mountain black bear hunting, and I'm curious about pack weights.

Thanks..this one was an easy pack out.

We had spent the day glassing the mountain-sides, and I had already hiked up after a 6 footer but blew the stalk. This big guy was at the very bottom of a snow slide as we were paddling back to camp late in the evening, so it was very close to our canoe. The quarters (on the bone) and back strap weighed right at 100 pounds. The hide (feet in) and skull were not far behind that (I packed snow into the hide to cool it). I had my Eberlestock Just One pack with me for the short walk to the canoe. I've used that pack to haul meat for much, much longer distances.

Doc

Thanks. This year I weighed a hide/skull with feet in that one of my kids shot, and it was 93lbs. I had some room to reduce that weight by some more precise fleshing and by removing the feet though. I figured the meat would have been more than a 100, but I never did weigh it. (19 14/16" black bear)

I better find myself a good mountain bear hunting partner!

That's a nice bear 270ti (19 & 14/16")...you are for sure a proud dad! The skull on mine was initially measured by the taxidermist at 19 3/4", but he is having it officially measured to see if it qualifies for the book, which I think is a 20" minimum for B&C and 18" for SCI.

Spot and stalk for bears is a real exciting hunt...

Doc

Default Cool

Thank you Doc! Thats a fine coated animal too.

I shot my 10 spring blackie with a 300 H&H loaded with 165g Barnes MRX.

This afternoon I had it's skull on the table and was cleaning off the meat. It won't make book at 19 9/16th so I'll just boil it, grease it, and whiten.

This was a spot and stalk bear taken on a grass flat. Keeping on the threads starting idea.

So just pick any mountain side and glass? I am not sure if i agree with that. I have hunted the ferry trail for years and have saw a lot of country out there, and have yet to see and black bears in that area. It is high in the alpines and i have seen plenty of grizzly tracks, but have never seen any sign of black bears. I am not looking to take anyone's spot, or try and take a bear away from them, all i want to know is the unit, i.e. 13E. Like I said I hunt over bait now, but would love to spot and stalk them. It's more of a challenge, but I am not sure where to go.