Thread: EO, Kenai C&R Please Read

I am a little bewildered on the 55 inch or longer rule here, you would think we would won’t that fish to spawn? Is this not BS.

True, but the fact of the matter is, the chance of you or I landing a a king 55 inches or greater is slim to none.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thumbs down

So a 80 pound King is pushing the tape as a keeper. i don't get it.Before I get jumped on yes i'v kill some big fish but never on a C&R fishery....... So why could you be able to keep the biggest on the planet. This is truely not C&R. Its BS.

Relax guys. I am not sure why it is there, my guess is so a potential world record could be kept. Since they have been keeping track of 55" fish not one has come in during June. Probably more of a reason not to be able to even have that 55" in the regulations but in the end it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Default simple answer

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Relax guys. I am not sure why it is there, my guess is so a potential world record could be kept. Since they have been keeping track of 55" fish not one has come in during June. Probably more of a reason not to be able to even have that 55" in the regulations but in the end it doesn't mean a whole lot.
    I was there when it passed/discussed in the management plan. The fact is simple - economic considerations for the guide industry and that is not wrong. The guides made the case that C&R causes a loss of clients and they needed something to market. Some said they could provide fish to clients (frozen reds for example) but being able to say you could keep a large fish would really help marketing in a tough season. Now that may or may not be true but when it passed ADF&G said this was not a biological issue - a few fish at best and that would not harm the return - remember C&R is used when you are in the goal range.

Hope this helps. I do not think it is a terrible idea. What I think is terrible is not dealing with the probable loss of mainstem spawners, which is a whole different issue.

Default Chances are virtually ZERO...

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    I am a little bewildered on the 55 inch or longer rule here, you would think we would won’t that fish to spawn? Is this not BS.
    I agree with fishook in that I would never personally condone keeping a trophy early run Kenai king.

BUT.....

As others have alluded, this is a socio-economic consideration, not a biological one.

Why?

Simply that the odds of harvesting a king over 55" in May or June is so infinitesimally small that it truly is inconsequential in the great grand scheme of things. Since the advent of the slot limit, only one such fish has been sealed by ADFG, a 4-ocean male.

Here's the ugly raw statistical truth about the aggregate effort required to catch that beast.

NOTE: These numbers only include the fishery below Soldotna bridge, so the true effort invested in catching a giant 55" plus buck is even greater than what's presented.

Year .......... Catch ........ Rod hours per fish caught

2003 ........... 2763 .......... 20
    2004 ........... 3530 .......... 27
    2005 ........... 4602 .......... 17
    2006 ........... 4451 .......... 16
    2007 ........... 3999 .......... 18
    2008 ........... 3565 .......... 20
    2009 ......... ~1000 .......... 47

Total catch during that 7 year period was 23,910 early run kings and a total of 490,302 rod hours were invested to catch them. And that's not counting any effort above the bridge!

That's nearly half a million rod hours expended to harvest one king over 55" in length. One fish out of 23,910 caught in the last 7 years! That works out to about 99.996% odds AGAINST any one angler tagging out one of these mythical beasts

But statistics and biology aside, personally I just can't rationalize how anyone can kill something that rare and precious. Doesn't it deserve its one and only chance to perpetuate its genetic fitness?

LONG LIVE THE KINGS!
    Last edited by Brian M; 06-13-2010 at 12:46.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

And then there is Les Anderson, one lucky man.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Default Are we having fun?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnphysician View Post
    . . [c&r] is a socio-economic consideration, .
    "[catch-and-release] is a tool which enables managers to continue maximizing the opportunity to participate in recreational fisheries while reducing mortality to what can be termed 'catch-and-release mortality.' in this way, the economic value of recreational fishing is not jeopardized as the opportunity to participate is not reduced." — doug vincent-lang, et al, "mortality of coho salmon caught and released using sport tackle in the little susitna river, alaska, 1992"
    "we can not live harmlessly or strictly at our own expense; we depend upon other creatures and survive by their deaths. To live, we must daily break the body and shed the blood of creation. The point is, when we do this knowingly, lovingly, skillfully, reverently, it is a sacrament; when we do it ignorantly, greedily, clumsily, destructively, it is a desecration. . "

—wendell berry

Default Ahhhhhh.....

THE SHADOW KNOWS!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Interesting comment, Marcus, but don't you think you should have removed FnP's name from that quotation box? He didn't say a thing about c&r in context of the quote you attributed to him. The brackets notwithstanding, that seems a bit misleading.

Welcome back, by the way.

Default So fix it . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Interesting comment, Marcus, but don't you think you should have removed FnP's name from that quotation box? He didn't say a thing about c&r in context of the quote you attributed to him. The brackets notwithstanding, that seems a bit misleading.

Welcome back, by the way.
    Feel free, Brian, to edit my post in any way you wish so as to accommodate your sensibilities.

Just happened to check in . . same ol', same ol' . . .

So let’s just rename this 2010 fishing season to Kenai trophy catch me if you can season as to appease the mighty gods I mean Guides give me a break. I am all for C&R but this is not that so don’t hide a slot limit under the assumption of the rule. I know the good people that make a living off the river are hurting so opening up to fish is a good thing but to keep a fish that size in an uncertain run is lacking moral conviction. The 2010 slot limit is 20 X 55. DONE.

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    The 2010 slot limit is 20 X 55. DONE.

Actually it is <20 :: >55

ClearCreek