Thread: Helly Hansen: Impertech or Commercial Grade?

Default Helly Hansen: Impertech or Commercial Grade?

For experienced Alaskan hunters, do most of the guides you've seen wearing Helly Hansen products use the commercial grade stuff (could be Grundens or Helly) or the Impertech? Or a combination?

BTW, I've seen Impertech in the stores and I can't still figure out how this stuff would last than more than a few hours in the bush.

Default Impertech

I have used Impertech for almost a decade now and I can say that it works better than any Gore product in extremely wet enviroments and it also lasts. The old Peter Storm was better and I hear it is being made again, but Impertech is hard to beat. The heavier commercial stuff is good for pants( cut the legs off at the knees) because of the thicker material for sitting on treelimbs and such, but the jackets are just to heavy. All the guides I know the operate in really wet conditions(Cordova, Yakutat, Alaska Penninsula) use Helly Impertech for jackets and most use commercial for pants with the legs cutoff below the knees. On backpack goat hunts I always with Impertech top and bottom to save weight.

impertec on every trip, i have a hodgman 3/4 length parka i've used for years and i use the HH impetec pants and bibs, they are unreal. i wear my from april till december as a guide and i'll buy new ones every other hunt if i had too..i like wearing them that much. but i might not even go thru one pair a year.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Post peter storm

Peter Storm never quit making rain gear. It's been available through them and as far as I know still is. I bought some from them last year. It's the best rain gear I've ever used. Holey Hansen Imperleak?! Peter Storm wannabe.

I wore the commercial stuff for 20 years till this year when I was introduced to Impertec that he has been wearing for 10 years. His are still water proof and the seams and straps are still holding up great. I bought a pair before I hit the woods again and am very pleased so far. I also just bought another pair for use at work on the ocean doing Immediate Response Oil Field work so I should get a good idea how tough they really are, and how well they hold up to hydrocarbon.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Grundens

Has anyone tried the Blue Grundens stuff?? Is it stretchable like impertech? I saw A tug skipper with it on the other day but I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

http://www.grundens.com/newproducts.html

Woody

If using rain gear to hunt with, you have to also consider noise. The heavy plastic stuff is too loud. When moving thru the brush you need something soft and quiet. Impetec is hard to beat and itís priced right.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

Default a set of each...

I've got a set of the heavy Grundens that I used commercial fishing. If you want to stay dry for long periods, it is the ONLY way to go (nothing "breathable" will last more than a few hours at a time). If I am fishing on a boat I grab the Grundens.

On the other hand.... If I am hunting/fishing and hiking and sweating etc.. I grab the HH. There is NO way I would carry my Grundens jacket around in the woods unless it was all I had. It is way too heavy and bulky. The stuff is pretty tough (not indestructable though). I was skeptical at first, but it has held up. The only problem I have had with it was my bib overalls stretched the crotch seam out while riding my wheeler for a couple of hours. I'm trying the pants now instead of the bibs to see if they hold up better.

I figure you may get a year or two out of the HH with average use. My Grundens on the other hand I have had for about 12 years now and they are still dry!

Buy both!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

A second to what AKMud said.

impertech all the way

impertech works for light use, but there are a lot of dodads that get caught on things. I'd skip helly and get grundens or guy cottons. Guy cotton makes a rediculously light rediculously strong coat that my boss had this summer. I had the carhart coat comm fishing this summer but the buttons broke off already. The cuffs though are $$$ for stopping jelly fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.