Thread: Stergeon

Default Stergeon

I have recently discovered that some giant fresh water sturgeon live in AK. I love bottom fishing, and also love jig fishing because you never know what your gonna catch. Are any guides doing the sturgeon thing, or do you just have to create your own trip http://animal.discovery.com/videos/r...-sturgeon.html I am moving to Anchorage soon and have friends in Homer and Seward, as well as Anchorage. I love to fish and am concerned that my fishing experience may be limited to trout and salmon. Boooo Hoooo. I am used to pike and bass. Anyone know if I will get board?
    Last edited by DeeGee; 06-11-2010 at 14:10. Reason: Second thought

I don't know where that footing was shot but its news that there are sturgeons in Alaska. I can't find a listing on F&G's website and in 13 years of being up here, have never heard of one being caught. I know the show filmed a segment up here but they didn'ty catch sturgeons, only some pike. There are people with a lot more experience on this site but I doubt you'll hear of that fish up here.

they have green sturgeon in lake illiomna (sp) and a few other places, but I am not sure if you can fish for them???????

It doesn't sound like they're common enough to target for sportfishing but here's an old thread about it.

Yea I don't think there are very many. Though there could be a population in lake Iliamna. From what I've seen it is rarly fished, except for some shallow water fishing.

If you get bored fishing for Salmon and trout, you don't enjoy fishing at all.

Bass fishing is fun, it's what i grew up on, but honestly it doesnt compare to salmon fishing IMO.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I don't know where that footing was shot but its news that there are sturgeons in Alaska. I can't find a listing on F&G's website and in 13 years of being up here, have never heard of one being caught. I know the show filmed a segment up here but they didn'ty catch sturgeons, only some pike. There are people with a lot more experience on this site but I doubt you'll hear of that fish up here.
    if a system can support Pike it should theoretically be able to support Sturgeon. Sturgeon, but I would be surprised if there is much of a population if they were not already established before European settlement. Sturgeon don't have exactly what you would call a prolific reproduction rate

Since Green and White Sturgeon are anadromous, any large system could support them, like the Copper River.........
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Ive been told by more than one person that there are some in the Taku River. There has been other threads on here about the Taku Sturgeon.

Default salmon and trout

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    If you get bored fishing for Salmon and trout, you don't enjoy fishing at all.

Bass fishing is fun, it's what i grew up on, but honestly it doesnt compare to salmon fishing IMO.
    I have never fished for salmon and only fished trout a few times. They dont get very big here in MN. Tasty little guys. It does sound like I will fully enjoy fishing salmon. I will definitely be searching out those pike to.

Look in the Fishes of Alaska book, they have been documented in Alaska numerous times.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

There ARE sturgeon up here. We just rarely see them. Practically nobody fishes for them. But there are some around, and probably more wide-spread then you'd think. We have a lot of good potential rivers for them along the coast.

That video from discovery channel is a little misleading. After the host determined that it was most likely sturgeon in the lake but couldn't catch anything out of illiamna, he went to the columbia river in washington to try and catch one.