Thread: Shrimp Bait

Default Shrimp Bait

So I heard some people like Steve's shrimp crack, others use herring, and then others use catfood. If you were going to use catfood, what would you use?

thanks!

-D

Default Well

cheapest nastiest, smelliest seafood mix. Better yet set it in the sun for a few months to marinate.

Or tuna works too
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default Costco

I buy the big box at Costco. There is several different flavors in there. I dont notice a difference between them. I use an awl to poke small holes in the can. (I mean very small) Just enough so the scent and juice can come out, but the lice cant get in. I also do use shrimp bait from Donalsons with it also. Just out of habit I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    So I heard some people like Steve's shrimp crack, others use herring, and then others use catfood. If you were going to use catfood, what would you use?

thanks!

-D
    I have had best results with the shrimp crack. I have a hard time paying that much for baith though. The cat food is considerbly cheaper and seems to work almost as good. I find that the shredded cat food does not last as long as the mushy crap.
    Keep the lice out and it will work for a couple days if you are lucky.

Another thing to do in addition to shrimp pellets, herring, or cat food is to grab a few carcasses out of the bins by the cleaning tables at the end of the docks in Whittier. Throw half a salmon carcass in each pot and your catch rate will go up. They don't seem to care for rockfish carcasses as much, but salmon is irresistable to shrimp. Make sure you only use the carcass, though, as using fillets is illegal (and a waste of good fish) in most cases.

Default All Salmon Illegal for Bait?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...as using fillets is illegal (and a waste of good fish) in most cases.
    Is it illegal to use 2 or 3 year old fillets that have gone bad in the freezer? Always wondered about that... years ago in the canneries they sold cut salmon (#3 Chum) as bait for the halibut openers...

~AKBoatR

I thought sport caught was legal.. carcass or fillet?
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    I thought sport caught was legal.. carcass or fillet?
    I'll have to dig up the regs later, but using fillets from sport caught fish is illegal in most circumstances. The gist is that you may not use edible meat from sport caught fish that have a limit (salmon, halibut, rockfish, etc.). There are exceptions for pink salmon in PWS and fish such as pacific cod and pollack. You may use commercially caught and/or personal use (dipnetted) fish. So it would be legal to use a chum purchased from a processor or commercial fisherman or to use a fillet off a pink you dipnetted in the Kenai, but it would not be legal to use a fillet off a sockeye you caught in Coghill. As for using freezer-burnt fillets, under the letter of the law I am fairly certain that is not legal. The filleted out carcass, head, and guts are legal as bait, though.

Don't do like we did last weekend with salmon heads and herring. (they work great). We left them overnight and in the morning those "sea lice" had decimated them and all of the herring we caught in whittier completely, completely clean bones left and most of the shrimp had left. We got way more with the two hour pulls than the overnight because the bait got eaten. I think you need to put them in something so they won't get completely eaten.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

People saying that most of the shrimp leave overnight just doesn't match with my observations over the years. I'm sure some get out, but most of them? And just overnight?

The reason I question that is because we almost always leave our pots down for at least 3 days, and have often left them down for 1-3 weeks without checks or refreshing the bait in between. Even on multi-week drops, the shrimp are still in there when we pull the pots, with no bait remaining. Maybe the difference is in the design of the pot? Perhaps some pots are easier for shrimp to escape from. Whatever the difference, I don't worry too much about leaving the pots down beyond when the bait will be gone.

Default Shrimp missing from pots

Shrimp ( in general ) can't figure out how to get out of a pot. However, octopi CAN figure out how to get in, eat their fill ( usually ALL of the shrimp ), and get out..... Smart varmits
    Just my opinion for how they go missing...

Default Didn't mean to hijack the thread....

Cat food in cans, SMALL holes, chunk o' herring in a bait ball. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    People saying that most of the shrimp leave overnight just doesn't match with my observations over the years. I'm sure some get out, but most of them? And just overnight?

The reason I question that is because we almost always leave our pots down for at least 3 days, and have often left them down for 1-3 weeks without checks or refreshing the bait in between. Even on multi-week drops, the shrimp are still in there when we pull the pots, with no bait remaining. Maybe the difference is in the design of the pot? Perhaps some pots are easier for shrimp to escape from. Whatever the difference, I don't worry too much about leaving the pots down beyond when the bait will be gone.
    Weird. I'm fairly new to shrimping though Brian, so I'm listening to all that I can. The previous two pulls were about two hours, and they were a good distance apart. All five pots were very similar in the volume of shrimp. I dropped the overnight pots in almost the same spots as the two previous pulls, and all five pots (about 1/8 mile apart) had very few shrimp. Maybe it's the design, maybe the different tide? I know that sea lice were everywhere, gross. Hey I'll try the overnighter in the same spots, this time with the bait protected and I'll let you know the results. Someone told me (might have been potbuilder, I don't remember) that if the bait is gone the shrimp can figure out how to get out almost as easily as getting in.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Weird. I'm fairly new to shrimping though Brian, so I'm listening to all that I can. The previous two pulls were about two hours, and they were a good distance apart. All five pots were very similar in the volume of shrimp. I dropped the overnight pots in almost the same spots as the two previous pulls, and all five pots (about 1/8 mile apart) had very few shrimp. Maybe it's the design, maybe the different tide? I know that sea lice were everywhere, gross. Hey I'll try the overnighter in the same spots, this time with the bait protected and I'll let you know the results. Someone told me (might have been potbuilder, I don't remember) that if the bait is gone the shrimp can figure out how to get out almost as easily as getting in.
    Hey it wasn't me tell'in ya they get out, i think they don't even know they are in!! I'm betting the bottom your fishing on is spotty.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Sport caught pinks and dogs (caught in PWS) are legal to use for bait in PWS.........

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...tral/SCpws.pdf

Page 60, top right

As for the sea lice, i think they work great for the shrimp crack, disperses the scent a bit i think, otherwise my hint would be, look at the paint strainers you get at Lowes or Home Depot for your bait, haven't had a problem with those lice since, and very reusable.

Default two

I use two bait jugs. One is the orange one that you get from donaldsons. The other is just a plastic soda jug that I punch holes in.

Last weekend I experimented a little bit. I made some of the holes larger in the soda jug - I put 2 year old herring bait and some hooligan in them. The lice got in them, but in 8 hours they didn't eat all of the herring and I think that it makes the bait disperse better as mentioned above. In the orange bait cans I put about 30% shrimp crack and then filled with herring chunks.

Last haul with this arrangement was about 140 tasty bugs with 3 pots....after a 5 hour soak.