Thread: camper to O'Brien Creek

Default camper to O'Brien Creek

Is it possible to pull a 12' camper down to O'Brian Creek to go dipnetting? If not, how close can I get a hitch type single axle camper to the Chitina? Thinking of going this Sunday and getting the charter with Hems. Bringing my daughter so sleeping in the truck isn't an option this time.

THANKS. Ed

Maybe you should post this in the freshwater fishing forum. I've struck out asking questions on here. There's too many fishing forums....

Tim

as of last year it was not possible to get down the trail with a truck, but if you are taking hems and get their early you can park at the bottom of the hill in the parking lot by the cleaning station porta johns. walking distance to where Hems picks up.

yes, it would be possible to get the camper trailer down there. However, you will probably find very little parking on a sunday, not much room to turn around, and you will need a lot of power to pull it back up the steep, rocky, narrow hill (getting down to the creek is the easy part).

There are lots of places to pull over on the road approx. 1/4 - 1/2 mile before obrien creek and park your camper there. That's what I would recommend. Then drive just your rig down to the creek to scope it out and catch the charter.

Mike is talking about the (now) atv/bike/foot road/trail past obrien creek, which the original post was not talking about.

Default Thanks andweav!

That makes good sense. I went for the first time last year and just couldn't remember the whole layout. It does seem like I saw a truck with a slide in camper or maybe a 5th wheel up above the cleaning shack kinda to the right as you just hit the opening of the parking area.

I was thinking that if I got down there around noon it would be pretty open as HEMS doesn't run on Sunday's. I know it's a guess, but with HEMS not running on Sunday wouldn't the crowd be lighter or is there that many people that go down the trail on bikes and ATV's? Forgive me if this is an ignorant question.

Ed

Not sure about the crowds, but last year we went at almost the exact same time we're going this year (June 14-15). It was during the week and there was plenty of parking. I would have had no issues getting a small camper trailer down and up the road. Yes, it's narrow and somewhat steep, but it was dry and I have a truck.

i agree it is certainly doable. especially with a small trailer. I do remember watching someone spend about 40 minutes trying to turn around a big 20+ footer and then they definitely struggled getting back up the hill.

don't think you can count on there being room for trailer parking down at the creek, but certianly there is room if it's not crowded, and I had forgotten about the charter not running on sunday so bet you will be alright.

Yes, I wouldn't want to try to take anything too long or too heavy down there, that's for sure. Best bet might be to stop at a pull-out and walk down the road to take a look at the crowd first.

piece of cake, mind over matter, if you dont mind, it dont matter.
    Semper Fi!

Default Thanks guys

I really like this forum "most of the time". I mean that. Thaks for the reply's.

I think parking at the top and taking a look first is the best bet. I sure am glad I bought this little 12' hitch type camper and not a 5th wheel or slide in. I've only had the camper a few weeks and already found out the grandson and/or my daughters are a lot more open to going out now than before with the ol' tent.

DOnt take your camper to O'brien creek. There are places to park before you get in that deep. You can always unhitch the pull behind types and drive in to the creek. For those of us looking for parking that is limited at best at busy times, folks that drage their RV's etc in are a bit aggrivating. No dis-respect meant.

Also FYI. We used to take our motorhome into Obrien Creek before they put oup the concrete barricades and one time upon climbing back up the hill to exit we ripped the grey water line off the bottom of the motor home. You should have seen the folks FREAKING out thinking it was sewage. Could have been sewage, we just got lucky.

Moral of the story, leave big rigs, trailers, etc at the top or before and leave room for your fellow Alaskans to park at the bottom.