Thread: First time at Bings Landing

Default First time at Bings Landing

can you guys direct me on whats what at bings? i dont have a boat so i'll be bank fishing. is it restricted to fly fishing only? where are the good holes at? I've never fished there so i need a few tips. last year it was my first trip to the russian and i was pretty successful. Thanks in advance! I'll be heading out early tomorrow morning

There is a trail that heads downstream from Bings. Can't miss it.

Water is swift as you will be walking down the Kenai into the naptown rapids area.

It is a bank fishing location.

No, it is not a fly fishing only area.

Make a "yarn fly" with about a size 3/0 Gama hook and then put about a 1 oz slinky weight on a five to six foot leader. That seems to work pretty well. Definitely leave the RR flies at home.

I'm sure others will have different suggestions for good set-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    Make a "yarn fly" with about a size 3/0 Gama hook and then put about a 1 oz slinky weight on a five to six foot leader. That seems to work pretty well. Definitely leave the RR flies at home.

I'm sure others will have different suggestions for good set-ups.

chum is dead on here. This is not the fly area only. some laser sharp Gammys, tie a piece of yarn on them and go for it. The fly area only is for the russian river area.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks guys. i hope i dont get skunked lol. i havent heard any reports from bings yet but i hope they're keeping quiet for a good reason heheh

You never know. you could be there for 3 hours and nothing. Then bam a school comes through and it is party time
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Yeah, my luck at Bing's has been pretty hit and miss. I'm thinking because it's on the top end of the rapids they are moving through that section of the river pretty quick. Like Chuck said...could stand there for a while with nothing, then suddenly the whole bank is full of people fighting fish when a school cruises through.

And definitely don't use standard Russian River flies there.

I'm a Gamakatsu guy with just about everything possible as long as it's legal.

got skunked at bings this morning. the water was high and there appeared to be spotty fishing near the rapids. Only saw 1 red landed while i was there. I guess it was my lack of experience at bings. Oh well, i'll be hitting russian probably next weekend. I expect the results to be different lol

Bings produced 2 legal Reds for my buddy today....he has 20 illegal hook ups...not much showing on the RR right now according to him.....good luck at Bings....the sound advice for a set up mentioned below will work