Thread: Outboard Hydrofoils

Default Outboard Hydrofoils

I am thinking about adding adding a hydrofoil to my Honda 225 and was wondering if the people that have installed them think it is worth the expense and effort. Do they save on fuel? What models do you have? Any advise? Thanks for the help.

If your hull is balanced aft heavy, you should get better performance with the hydrofoil. If your boat is properly trimmed, you likely won't see much difference.

I have a hydrofoil from Sportsmans Warehouse installed on my old 25 Evinrude and it seems to work ok. I did notice that on my skiff, the hydrofoil tends to make the boat slide during turns rather than making nice sharp cuts in the water. Haven't noticed much in the way of improved fuel economy. Also, with the hydrofoil installed, the skiff tends to chine walk pretty bad when approching top end.
    Last edited by ksbha4; 06-11-2010 at 12:54. Reason: grammer
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

I have 2 175 hp outboards with hydrofoils installed, they do allow the boat to plane at a lot slower speed. Not to sure if the fuel ecomomy is any better,

Quote Originally Posted by FishingNut View Post
    I am thinking about adding adding a hydrofoil to my Honda 225 and was wondering if the people that have installed them think it is worth the expense and effort. Do they save on fuel? What models do you have? Any advise? Thanks for the help.
    I like the Hydro-Shield just put 2 on my 20' Koffler Baybee with twin Honda 35.s same speed but stays on step to 12 MPH! Had to play with trim a little. Been using them on
    different boats for 12 years. They work great act as a prop guard mounted below the prop.

Default Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I like the Hydro-Shield just put 2 on my 20' Koffler Baybee with twin Honda 35.s same speed but stays on step to 12 MPH! Had to play with trim a little. Been using them on
    different boats for 12 years. They work great act as a prop guard mounted below the prop.
    Somehow I can't visualize that. I've only seen them mounted on the cavitation plate. Are you somehow mounting them like a rock hopper or skeg guard?

http://www.hydro-shield.com/

They have a SS mounting bracket that bolts to the Skag the Hydro-Shield bolts to the bottom of the bracket, under the prop. Acts as a prop protector and a planing device.
    Designed to protect marine life in Florida. I have used them on 2 Zodiaks were I wanted to keep bow down, and protect prop. My Grumman Sport boat for lots of years,
    14' Livingston, Scott Hudson Bay frieghter. I was going through several props a year
    I havent hit one hard enough to have one rebuilt in several years. On a lot of shallow rocky rivers. I just put 2 of them on my 21 foot Koffler Bay Bee with twin Honda 35,s
    can stay on step to 12 MPH on my GPS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Cool set-up

I've never seen one like that. Like the tunnel stern.

Its not a tunnel it is a slick design. More like a canoe displacment stern easy to paddle
    but gets on step well! Following seas do not bother it at all have left it anchored stern out on big lakes and it weathers fine. When I had my 8 HP Yamaha on it with a lift you could bring skag above the bottom of the hull and it would not cavitate!

Fishingnut,

I had the same questions about 6 mo. ago and couldn't find much info on the subject. Thought I might chime in with my two-cents. I decided to put a Permatrim M-8 on my Honda 225 (the largest size Permatrim sells for the Honda 225). The install was easy and even though I don't have much time testing it (about 10 hrs out in PWS), I am pretty pleased. The Permatrim in conjunction with a 4-blade Power Tech SS prop (15.25 x 14) allows my boat to jump right up on step and then plane out at about 3800 RPM and 20 mph. At 4200 RPM we have a comfortable cruise at 24 mph and the flow scan is bouncing around 8 gph, which may be down from about 8.5 - 9 but this may simply be due to being able to run at a lower RPM on step. Again I need to spend more time testing the setup. In addition, the combo allows for a significant amount of trim adjustment where previously the usable range of trim was much less. The boat is an ACB with a 20' wetted hull length not incl. the motor mount extension, and I typically run heavy with people, gear, and fuel (est. wt. 5,600 lbs.). This wt. is estimated since I do not have a scale wt. for the empty boat but am using the wt. ACB listed for a similar boat. I installed the prop last year and it added a significant amount of lift. Together the stern lift on the slightly stern heavy application seems to work well. Good luck!

Default Thanks for the advise

Thanks for the advise Deadrise and everyone else. I have a 26 foot Olympic and it too is heavy so that would be great to get it to plane at lower rmps. I have not thought of getting a four blase prop. Which do you think make s the biggest difference the prop or the hydrofoil?

I also installed a Permatrim on my 140 Johnson, I dont have anything to compare it to, but I think its a good product.

This is on a riverboat and am using a power lift, the advantage too that is I can raise the motor up once on step, I can actually get the cav plate quite high if running at a higher speed (26mph plus).
    As I raise the motor I can see the speed come up on the GPS w/o touching the throttle, this most likely will not apply to a Deep-V w/ fixed motor height?

My intentions w/ installing the Permatrim was to help hold the water over the prop and reduce blow-out, which it does nicely.

I also installed a pro-pulse 4 blade prop, which is easily adjustable in 1" pitch increments, blades are replaceable and cost is reasonable, so far I am very happy with that combo for my boat.....John
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Hard for me to say which added the most lift. I installed the prop before the hydrofoil and have not switched out props to test the effect of just the hydrofoil. Both made quite a difference. I guess if I had to choose, I would try the hydrofoil first.