Thread: What rivers to jet up and float down?

Default What rivers to jet up and float down?

I've got a little 16' ob jet boat and my buddy has a (14'-16'?) raft that weighs ≈ 200 lbs. If we go light, almost like we are backpacking my boat should be able to haul us, fuel, all of our hunting/camping gear plus his raft upriver and be just within my boat max weight limit. Without the raft it'd be pushing it hauling meat back down if say... we killed two moose or our limit of caribou. But hauling his raft up, setting it up and floating down together would expand our haul out capacity by lots.

So what are some good Jet up float down rivers?

Keep in mind that I'm fairly new to boating and he's not exactly an expert at running his raft so... the river can't be too awefully challenging up or downstream.

Default River books or searching AOD/OSA forums...

is good for ideas - and winter reading. Queries about specific rivers usually gets specific responses. I keep Karen Jettmar's and Mike Strahan's books close at-hand.

Just curious, what happens to the jet boat?

Good luck.

Just curious, what happens to the jet boat?
    I run the jet boat down river ahead of the raft. That way if he has problems I'll likely be ably to go back upstream to him... If I have problems he's on his way to me. We'd have radios. I could also scout different river channels etc. I just wouldn't get too far ahead.

Any specific book titles you had in mind?

be sure to check the regs on your radio usage... would hate for some trooper to say you were using them while hunting and you get in trouble.

Just to add to this if I may, A 16" foot boat with all your gear and the amount of gas that you can haul, remember what you have to haul out. Meat weighs alot.

This is not a good plan in my eyes unless you are close to town, or have somebody there to take some of the load.

You talk about 2 moose, and caribou, you'd better be prepared to make a few trips.

Be safe out there, one false turn and it could cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Just to add to this if I may, A 16" foot boat with all your gear and the amount of gas that you can haul, remember what you have to haul out. Meat weighs alot.

This is not a good plan in my eyes unless you are close to town, or have somebody there to take some of the load.

You talk about 2 moose, and caribou, you'd better be prepared to make a few trips.

Be safe out there, one false turn and it could cost you.
    That's the reason we'd bring his raft. A raft can haul a lot. He's hauled 4 guys and 4 caribou in that raft down the Sag.