Thread: Small skiffs and zinc

Default Small skiffs and zinc

Do I need zinc to fight corrosion on a 16ft skiff with a rope and tiller outboard? I don't seem to recall having zinc anodes on our skiff in Juneau.

Also, have any of you ever had to relay a message back home to tell the family that you would not be home for dinner due to a sudden change in weather, but not to worry since you're safe and sound, anchored up in some un-named cove to wait out the storm? What did you do, radio another boat to pass on the message or through the Coast Guard?
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Yes, I use zincs on my 16' skiff in Juneau. Why risk corrosion?

In regards to the communication issue, I was told that there is some special way to contact an "operator" of some sorts, who will patch you through to who you are trying to call on their land line. Not sure what the radio number is or how exactly it works, but I've been told it is expensive and anyone else on that same frequency can hear what you are saying.

Default spot

I use a spot for the messaging.

Isn't there a Ship to Shore operator you can call on the raido and they will connect you with a land line number?

Default Communication

I've heard about a ship to shore comms relay, but that's about it. Just rumor. Not sure what a "spot" is.

Ruger, where do you mount your zincs?
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

I now use a satellite phone to check in. The thing with Spot is you can say 'i'm OK' which makes people at home feel batter until the day you are somewhere that it doesn't work, and then they feel uneasy if they don't hear from you. In the past I have used the Coast Guard to relay a message when I was stuck out due to weather. When I first contacted them and asked them to make the call, they said they do not do this. I told them if they did not, then it was likley that I would be called in as a missing boater and they would get called out. At that point they made the call for me.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    Not sure what a "spot" is.

Here it is:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Marine Operators

My understanding is that there are no longer any marine operators. That said, many boaters will relay a message for you but you might not know if it got through.

That Spot GPS system looks great, I'll probably invest in one. Right now my skiff is small enough I probably won't be out of sight of the harbor, but either way, it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by smtdvm View Post
    My understanding is that there are no longer any marine operators. That said, many boaters will relay a message for you but you might not know if it got through.
    Sad to say this is true. Marine operators went by the wayside a few years back. I guess your best guess now is a cell phone, vhf to another boater with a phone or a sat phone.

Even with todays "technology" we could still use a marine operator. Many a phone call was patched through just to say hello as well to say, don't worry we will just be a day or two late....

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    I've heard about a ship to shore comms relay, but that's about it. Just rumor. Not sure what a "spot" is.

Ruger, where do you mount your zincs?

I have some welded-on tabs on the bottom of the transom that they screw to. I'll try to get a picture.

That's a good idea. I've just never seen them on the smaller boats, but then again I probably wasn't looking for them. I'll probably do the same thing and have some tabs welded on the transom.