Thread: Custom 23' Wooldridge Pilot w/ higher sides/Fish Box

Default Custom 23' Wooldridge Pilot w/ higher sides/Fish Box

Some pics of the fish box that was custom made with higher sides and a door out the front of the cuddy.

Good God that is a nice boat!

Thumbs up

I concur with Tom, that is a beautiful boat. It is a size that can be easily towed and launched etc. I'm envious of that one.

Default Custom Wooldrdige

They built it small enough to be towed by a 1/2 ton truck. It is under 5000 lbs dry,with all of the same stringers the jet boats use, it is lighter than the NR Seahawk. This guy wanted the door up front so he did not have to walk around the side to access the bow, he lost some cuddy height up front though. There is a huge fish box across the transom, 4ft long at least 2ft deep besides the one in the floor.

Default not sold on it

for use up here in alaska I would be carefull buying one. First thing it is not good to have a jet boat design in an ocean boat that will see rough water. Bottom could fail, too much flexing in the aluminum. The fact that it is so light is a concern, not built heavy duty enough in my mind. Second is that the floor is spot welded through the diamond plating. If anything ever needs replaced, wiring, hoses or whatever, bottom being beat out of it and needs welded. That is a pain to deal with to get the floor up. Other wise looks like a nice boat. I just would not trust it myself. Unless i was able to see exactly how it was built and designed under the deck. Just my opinion and a little FYI.

Default custom 23 Wooldridge

The boat in the first pics is there ocean design 18deg at the rear with a 40 deg bow, they utilize the same type of stringer system in this boat as the jet boats have which are very strong, and light weight. They just don't put in a 1/4 bottom and a couple of Box stringers to save time and labor= money, they spend the extra time and expense to install 7+ stringers of T6061 aluminum in the boat to insure a strong and dependable boat. All of the wiring and cables are in the top of the gunnels to make access easy to get to and keep them out of the water, the only thing under the floor in the inboard jets are the heater hoses from the engine.

I had a 24ft Wooldridge jet boat that has now over 2000 hrs on it and 11 trips down the Yukon moose hunting 1400 miles each trip with lots of weight and rough water, with zero problems with the boat design or construction. This boat still runs every weekend up and down the SU and Yentna rivers. Here are a couple of pics of a 23 inboard boat that is here in Ak showing structure in the boat.

Default not convinced 100%

looks fine for a river boat. sure hope there is more supports for ocean rig. can see right off the bat there is not enough support in the bow. the back area i would want to see stringers every 12" if my boat. just needs for beef. saltwater is unforgiving. especially when is stacks up really close. otherwise looks nice. most bigger boats i know of are about 9klbs for 28' aluminum boat with a nice back deck and v-birth. but i am no expert. just know what i want in my next boat and how i expect it to be built. if there is a warranty then one would think they have done some testing to see what it can take.

Default custom 23 Wooldridge

Here is a pic of what this boat has for structure in the bow. There is one down at the show now with a 200 Yamaha on it. Marita said they will have one of the new larger models this spring for the sportsman show.