Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about Sheep...

Default Thinking about Sheep...

In 60 days, a few of us will do the pilgrimage to the mountains, I was just wondering are there any first time sheephunters on here going out this year ?

I haven't started working out, so I guess I'll start tommorow!!!! I've been shooting and reloading some new loads for the .280 (140 gr. Accubonds with 55 grains of RL19)

Any of you sheephunters wanna go shoot? I'm a member of Ft Rich. Range, I can bring 1 (one) guess.... ( you can shoot out to about 350-400 yards at the sport range)

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    In 60 days, a few of us will do the pilgrimage to the mountains, I was just wondering are there any first time sheephunters on here going out this year ?

I haven't started working out, so I guess I'll start tommorow!!!! I've been shooting and reloading some new loads for the .280 (140 gr. Accubonds with 55 grains of RL19)

Any of you sheephunters wanna go shoot? I'm a member of Ft Rich. Range, I can bring 1 (one) guess.... ( you can shoot out to about 350-400 yards at the sport range)
    Kahawai, generous offer, I'd love to go shooting with ya. Maybe we can work something out.

Smile first timer

I am a virgin sheep hunter headed out for my first hunt this year. I have a tag (DS140- archery) that is further out than 60 days though. I do hope to get a few days afield during the August general season as part of training and learning. I have to budget my personal leave days though. Of course if I had a good shot, with the rifle, at a legal sheep I would take the shot.
    I am open to any and all advice too.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Envious...

First time in years I may miss opening morning in the mountains. Landed a new job, which comes with more time committment. I start work at the end of July instead of August 16th. I may get out in september, or I may chase goats with my bow in a registration hunt, but I will certainly not be drawing a bead on a nice ram in August. This will be my only jealous rant, as I've been blessed with great hunting, a great family (daughter #2 is coming in July), and a great career move- from teacher to principal. Anyway, good luck training and preparing to all- I still have been working to stay in shape- you just never know!!

Default First Time for Me

I'll be heading to the Brooks in late August. My first and only other oppurtunity was cancelled 9 years ago thanks to bin Laden (I'm still trying to track him down to thank him personally). I'll be heading solo to boot - I am beyond excited to finally be heading out there to give it a go.

Many thanks to this forum and all of the great members here - a successful hunt this fall (coming out safely with a big smile and wanting to go again) will be in large part due to all of the great advice that everyone has doled out over the years.

Best of luck to everyone!!

John

Default Thinking too

I'm thinking sheep too. Wednesday I got my 09 Brooks Ram back from the Taxidermist. I know, no photo! So Sorry. I'll get off my lazy soon and take a photo of it. It won't be a sheep year for me either Sockeye. It's not my career move holding things up though, my wives. I do have a one week stretch in the mountains planned here on Baranof, with a big billy or bust agenda. I've got a packer lined up, a strong one at that. I won't hunt big Billies solo. They are big, bad, and heavy critters.

That goat hunt is gonna happen the first week of August. So today it's pool and weights for me. The weathers bad too so I'll do some inside work on my big Black Bear Skull.

Good luck to everyone heading to the sheep mountains this year. Do practice at the range. Do your leg suffering before the hunt. Do your research!

I think I'll be hunting with a 25-06 loaded with 110 Accubonds or 120 Partitions, not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post

I am headed out August 25 for the first time myself as I drew for the TMA. I am currently burning the candle at both ends with the fishing season getting started and work.I have kind of put off my Sheep hunt prep. Did pick up a new spotter and Hilleburg tent over at Barney's which has yet to be opened and out of the bag.
    I do need to get out and run some new 150gr Barnes TTSX through my 30 Rum which have come in and still have not picked up from AK High Performance I work on the base on regularly and do have a pass to get on. How is the week days for you?
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Default First Timer

I have been researching/planning/thinking about this years sheep hunt for longer than I can remember. I am finally getting to go on my first sheep hunt and I can't hardly wait. I will be headed to the Brooks on the 8th. I have read every sheep hunting thread on this forum multiple times and am trying to take as much advice as possible to make it a successful hunt.
    For those experienced sheep hunters I was wondering what you do with your food when you leave your basecamp and head up the mountains with the potential to be spiking out for a night or two. I was thinking about a dry bag placed somewhere away from the tent, but just wanted some input.

For those sheep hunters living in Fairbanks, I would love to meet to start some training hikes. I have been working out pretty regularly but find it is always more enjoyable when you have people to train with. Good luck to everyone and may the weather and sheep gods be smiling on us in August!

Ryan

Lanche- I will send you a PM soon, so we can go shoot.

RCBowhunter- for food storage, it all depends how much weight your flying in with, I usually take a plastic tuff tote to store food and stuff at my base camp, mainly because those arctic ground squirrels will chew on anything. but if your going to set up a remote base camp with no trees to hang your food then get a large size Ammo can, its water proof and bear proof for the most part. I also always set up a tent there to alert others that there is a presence there at base camp too.

Finally, I'm wondering how some of you first timers got lucky enough to draw sheep tags?....LOL

Default Basically a first timer going into DCUA

I had a couple of very short weekend sheep hunts back in the 90's which were unsuccessful so I'm considering this my first hunt. Drew my first permit in AK after 13 yrs of applying. DCUA walk in only....

I've been working out for a few weeks now. I live near Hatcher's Pass so I'm hiking elevation with stuff in my pack as often as I can. I climbed 4,000 ft last week. Hiking in Hatchers on Saturday for a long hike. Carrying approx 35 lbs in my pack for another week or two then will crank it up to 50.... I want this to be a great experience with a great shot at a great ram.

I'm very fortunate to have a friend who has taken a ram out of there and has packed for a couple of others who have taken rams out of there as well so he's very familiar with the area. And he knows how to judge rams which is definately a weakness of mine!!

So I'm busy working up what gear I'll carry up the mountain etc....

Can't Wait!!!

Good Luck to everyone.
    Brian

It'll be a minimal sheep year for me, unfortunately. I have to go back to work on August 12th, so that doesn't leave much time. I'll be doing some scouting in late July, and if I find a legal ram I will walk in on the 8th or 9th, hunt the 10th, and head home the 11th. Crazier things have happened.

What I'm really looking forward to is 2012. The wife and I will be going to the Brooks for a week that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    What I'm really looking forward to is 2012. The wife and I will be going to the Brooks for a week that year.
    We'll be sure to scout it out for ya in 2011. Wife and I are planning on 10 days or so fly out in the Brooks Range as a one all out trip together before we start having little ones which will put a damper on fly out hunts together for us for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    one all out trip together before we start having little ones which will put a damper on fly out hunts together for us for a few years.
    Lanche, you're a forward thinkin' type of guy!!

I wish I'd have thought to do that before the little ones started..

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    We'll be sure to scout it out for ya in 2011. Wife and I are planning on 10 days or so fly out in the Brooks Range as a one all out trip together before we start having little ones which will put a damper on fly out hunts together for us for a few years.
    Yeah, we're doing ours as a "yay, we're done having little ones" trip. We'd do it next year, but we start work on the 10th in 2011. In '12 we start on the 16th, though, so that should give us enough time.

Default The 10th!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, we're doing ours as a "yay, we're done having little ones" trip. We'd do it next year, but we start work on the 10th in 2011. In '12 we start on the 16th, though, so that should give us enough time.
    Are you serious Brian? Somehow I had it in my head that the swing to a later start was in 2011. I'm seriously bummed. Perhaps one day they will go back to the old school calendar!
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Are you serious Brian? Somehow I had it in my head that the swing to a later start was in 2011. I'm seriously bummed. Perhaps one day they will go back to the old school calendar!
    Yep, unfortunately serious. They just did the calendar adoption for the next 5 years two weeks ago. I was out commercial fishing, so I couldn't go testify. I did write a long letter to Comeau, Boyer, and the School Board. Not surprisingly, I only heard back from two Board members and Comeau. Most of them seem to think that hunting/fishing/gathering family practices are a non-issue, as it wasn't listed in their official committee report as one of the issues considered. Ironically, it was by far the most commonly cited concern in 35 pages of community comments submitted.

Sorry to hijack your thread, kaha...

Default good thread...

sheep on my mind as well...i've got a ten day arctic grizzly hunt to guide then i get ten days to myself in the sheep mountains before i'm back to work for the fall guiding....i cant wait...the old man was supposed to come this year but looks like his business will keep him out of the mountains till next year...all you first timers good luck and have fun...and good luck to all you guys that have done it before. tis the season for the high country soon enough.

...maybe we wont be hiking in the smoke this year...but i doubt it...so it goes

zack

Ya im thinking about sheep too, whether or not I can find a partner in time to make Brooks arrangements again. Yikes! Hope it doesnt slip away. Im listening if you know a dependable and prepared individual with Brooks aspirations.

This is a sad thread for me... My wife has been busting her rear going to college full time and raising 3 boys pretty much alone with me working down range. Well after 2 years of prerequisites culminating in a 3.75 gpa and her name on the deans list. Despite those successes she was passed over for admittance to the UAA radiology technician program this year which was the purpose for all her work. Well 48 hours later we have found a school in FL, sent them all the info that didn't get her admitted to the UAA program and she was accepted. So instead of hunting sheep this year I will be figuring out how to support her and 2 households on opposite ends of the continent!

Might as well string me up cause that is one dead DCUA tag

Default Hang in there Lujon

hang in there, her school will be over quick enough and all will be well!!! We military folks have been putting up with seperations for years. They are difficult but necessary sometimes. A sacrifice to make that will result in nothing but better things to come for your family.

Hang in there.....

Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast