Thread: Flyrod building question

Default Flyrod building question

I'm thinking about building a flyrod for the first time. I already have just about everything I need except for the rod blank. My question is what brand of blank would be a good choice for a 9 weight on the middle to lower range and where's a good place to buy it?
    Thanks, Mike

Thumbs up fly rod buliding

let your pocket book be your limits
    that being said cabela's has some good blanks from about $50 to $100 there is a lot out there, but make all your mistaks on the cheeper rod, if you want after you finish it, go for the higher price rods, there is a curve to learnig how to buld a fly rod, [any rod], lots of mistakes, I was just on cabela's web site they had a few rod blanks like you need all less than $100 enjoy, you will find out the choise of rods, is just like cars every one has a different idea

SID

Default Batson Enterprises RX7 blanks

I like Batson blanks. Very high quality considering the price point. Here's a link to their website: http://www.batsonenterprises.com/ I've built on an IF905 (9' 5wt) and an IF966 (9'6" 6wt) and I'm in the process of building two 10'8" 7wt switch rods on their blanks. I Iike the RX7 blanks. They have a great selection--you won't have any trouble finding what you're looking for and you won't break the bank, either.

Don't count out the Batson RX6 blanks either. Darn good blank. I have a 4wt and 3wt, but plan on building a 6wt and 8wt when I get the time.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

I'll cast my vote for Cabelas for a first time build, too. Their IM6 is a little soft for heavier rods, but will build you a very nice 5 or 6 weight for trout and grayling. Good end results for not much money, and a great place to make your mistakes.

I REALLY like the Batson and buy mine from Shoff tackle..... good folks and large inventory.

L

I agree with everyone else on starting with cheaper blanks to learn a few mistakes and hone your skills. My first three rods were with batson/Rainshadow blanks, but with trial and error found that for a little more you can get into blanks that fish much better. Look at the TFO TiCR series. I am using them now for the rods I build for xmas presents and the such, but have built myself a few also. They range 89.00 to 114.00 imo fish the pants of any batson blank. Again start cheaper, you only have to fish with a rod that has impertfections for a few days before your off building a new one. Rod building now is overtaking my winter tying. Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    Again start cheaper, you only have to fish with a rod that has impertfections for a few days before your off building a new one. Rod building now is overtaking my winter tying. Good luck and have fun!
    Aint that the truth. After you've built a couple, you'll be looking for excuses to build more!

Question getting started

were can you go to get the little things to get started? I have to admit you guys have caught my attention and it seems like building a rod is cheaper then buying a decsent rod?

I'm another fan of Batson blanks.
    I don't build many fly rods but have built on their RX7 blanks and they are good value for $$$. If you get into building rods and want a higher end blank Batson's RX8 and RX8+ blanks are excellent blanks.
    I have one of their RX8 steelhead rods that is awesome. I'm currently building 2 more of their RX8 blanks a 9 1/2' and a 13' that will be coming with me in September.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    were can you go to get the little things to get started? I have to admit you guys have caught my attention and it seems like building a rod is cheaper then buying a decsent rod?
    Everyone's got their own opinion, so here's mine.
    For equipment, Cabelas, Jann's Netcraft, Mudhole Tackle...etc. There are lots of retailers that have rod building supplies. Look around on the web to campare prices.
    I call this the specialty equipment you'll need to build a rod...
    Wrapper
    Reamer set
    Rod dryer
    Any of these three are also DIY projects, if you're into that kinda thing. But investing the money up front will get you wrapping much quicker. Plus, there are lots of different wrappers in various prices ranges on the market.

Basic things like Exacto knives, epoxy glue, files and masking tape you can pick up at Lowes, Wal-mart or Jo-Anne's.

Cabela's, Hook and Hackle, Jann's, etc. all have rod building kits that give you all the parts and pieces to put a rod together. You may want to get a kit at first, just so you don't forget to order something like a hook keeper. (Build one rod without one and you'll know what I mean.) After you get the techniques down, upgrade your reel seat, or get the fancy guides, and so on.

A good book on rod building is another resource you might want to invest in. Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemens or Fly Rod Building Made Easy by Art Scheck are two really good detailed books for beginners. (Don't let the "Advanced" in the title fool you.) Plus, those two book will cover any rod you will ever want to build from the lightest fly rods to halibut rigs.

Just my 2cents.
    Ben
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Hey thanks Ben,
    I am not sure if this is some thing I will do but it does sound interesting and I might try it. But to say the least I am interested. I guess I will have to go look for those books and read up on it more and look at prices for stuff. I guess that will determin whether or not I do it.

Don't let folks tell you one rod blank is better than another. It all depends on the person building the rod. A poorly built expensive blank will perform much less than a well built "cheapo" rod. I use a range of different blanks. None of them cost the amount a Sage would. But they cast better than any of the Sages my buddies own. Even with them casting my rods... Batson and TFo are in the same league, I regard them both better than Gloomis. Doesn't make Gloomis a bad rod mind you. Nor does this comment make Sage bad either. Everyone has their preference and the ones that work well for them.

Happy building! It's addicting.

Locally 3 rivers has a bunch of blanks and components and can order you anything batson or st. croix
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

They don't have a 9 wt but I've been really happy with Beulah rods and you can order blanks from them. Google Beulah fly rods to find their web page. I just recently got their "Guide" series in an 8 wt and really like it. I'm thinking of trying my hand at building my first rod this winter with either their 10 wt guide model or one of their spey rods.

I build my blanks these days off of Baston blanks... they make a great rod and are reasonably priced. I go through Shoff Tackle online. Good folks.

I don't think I'd try rod building without a dryer. You really need to have the rod turning for several hours. I built my from this guy on eBay supplying the motor and chuck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-RPM-MOTOR-W-R...efaultDomain_0

L

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    I build my blanks these days off of Baston blanks... they make a great rod and are reasonably priced. I go through Shoff Tackle online. Good folks.

I don't think I'd try rod building without a dryer. You really need to have the rod turning for several hours. I built my from this guy on eBay supplying the motor and chuck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-RPM-MOTOR-W-R...efaultDomain_0

L
    Easy enough to make your own too.
    The motor can be found turning the turn table in an old microwave. The other pieces you can make or source on ebay.
    The white piece is just an 1 1/2" pvc end cap drilled and tapped for three 1/4" nylon bolts and the coupler is a piece of 1/2" aluminum rod drilled 1/4" through for the motor shaft to go in and one end tapped (5/16") to hold on the chuck. There is also a hole drilled and tapped in the side close to the motor end for a set screw to hold the coupler onto the motor shaft.

Default Rodbuilding?????

If your interested in building your own rods there are 4 places that you can go for Instructions/Supplies in the Anchorage/Matsu area. These are listed in no specific order preference of order.

1. Rod & Reel repair center on Artic in a small strip mall.
    2. Mountain View Sports on the old Seward and nowhere near Mountain VIew.
    3. 3 rivers in Wasilla
    4. Ok so this one really isn't a Location, or Place of buisness, but more an organization, The Borealis Rod Builders. It is the group Alaska Rodbuilders I started up last year and will be resuming this year in October. It is a a group for rodbuilders, or people that want to learn to build rods. We try to meet once a month at the American Legion in Peters Creek. The first meeting of the year will be October, and we will take December off (for the Holidays) . I encourage anyone interested in Rodbuilding to come to a meeting and see some of the things you can do with rodbuilding. If you are interested in Batson Products but want to see how they are as a finished product, give a holler. I have several of their blanks as a finished rod (mostly fly rods) so you can get an idea of what they will feel like as a finished rod. I can also order any of their products for you.

Give me a shout @ 907rodbuilder@gmail.com if your interested in learning rodbuilding.

Lazer is correct
    "I don't think I'd try rod building without a dryer. You really need to have the rod turning for several hours. I built my from this guy on eBay supplying the motor and chuck:"

I have a 4 rod dryer so I have offered to let members of the Borealis Builders use for finishing their rods. 1 other plus is I have a supply of finishing product samples from Bullard International. You will hear me speaking volumes of this company because they have great products, and they value the builders opinion.

Sean,
    I have several Batson Blanks on hand 5-9 wt. Shoot me an Email at 907rodbuilder@gmail.com if your still interested.

Kirk
    Last edited by High_Pockets; 08-08-2010 at 15:24. Reason: answering previous questions

I would take a look at the American Tackle Matrix blank. I just built a 7wt. on the black matrix blank and it is an incredible blank for under $100.
    It's hard to beat the performance of these at this price point. Nice looking too.

Def not on the cheap end but I built a sage z-axis rod 8WT 9' and I love it. It casts like a dream compared to the few other rods i've tried. I'm really glad I got to build a rod, I normally don't like the small handles on all the rods you but at the stores because my hand cramps really easily. So when I made my own I made a much larger handle (in diameter) than most other rods out there. If you can't find or don't have a thread tension set up you can always run the thread through some heavy books! I really want to build another rod this winter and think I'm going to aim for a 6 WT. Thanks to everyone for the information, I plan on using some of it too!