Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to keep em around?

Default how to keep em around?

i'm looking for a way to keep bears at or around my bait after they've cleaned the bait out? i've had a big bear that if i'm one day late he'll have the bait cleaned out and won't be back for a week or so. does anyone have any trick to keep them there after they've cleaned the bait out?

Have a partner refresh it?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

i don't think i got any friends that good! my bait is 1.5 miles and 1000ft elevation from a trailhead, pretty tough to get to, people go and help pack bait ONCE then never offer to come back

Hummmm, well, not sure what to tell ya then. Get a few more friends? Try Baitems balls? But hang em so they can't get them! (wait, that didn't sound right)....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Hummmm, well, not sure what to tell ya then. Get a few more friends? Try Baitems balls? But hang em so they can't get them! (wait, that didn't sound right)....
    Huntress,
    You're lucky I am a woman or guys would take this the wrong way
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Don't run out of bait....not trying to sound like a smart arse I promise....but pile in on in there so you never run out.

LMAO, thats a good one, i had an anise ball from baitem but i was a little lazy when i hung it(25ft up, and not out on a limb), it didn't last long after i started getting hit! One thing i was thinking about doing is, getting a second barell and punching a nickel-quarter size hole in it, then filling it with popcorn or grain hoping that it'd keep them interested but without using much feed. Does anyone think this would work, or would they lose interest if they couldn't get much bait at once.

Sorry Jess! It just had a certain "ring" to it when I typed it.....

Cut some molasses with water and pour it down around the base of a tree. That should keep them there for sometime digging and licking.

Good luck

Just keep in mind, anything that is contaminated has to be removed....The reason we no longer use cob or molasses....

Just keep in mind, anything that is contaminated has to be removed....The reason we no longer use cob or molasses....
    Yup....I used COB this year one time and the bears didn't seem to like it(it ran right through them according to there scat). They spread it out all around my barrel now I'll have to rake up the area to clean it up . I'll stick to popcorn from now on. Hang a baitem ball(s) to keep em around

Blaster,

For some reason one year we had the notion to video tape our clean up..
    We raked, shoveled and video taped the area during and after, even with the video in hand we still received a ticket. This was a few years ago. the Trooper had a hand full of duff with a few kernels of COB mixed in even after our clean up......
    Just speaking from experience, it does happen....(They won't except that your feeding the birds and squirrels either)....

Default why didn't i think of that !!??

The molasses thing sounds like a great idea. In Wyo the grease and stuff like that in the dirt isn't that big of a deal, not really required to remove the contaminated soil.

Oh so you aren't baiting up here? Up here your required to remove everything....

Oh so you aren't baiting up here? Up here your required to remove everything....
    No I'm In Western Wyoming. and you have to remove all of the solid bait here but regulations say nothing about contaminated soil.

Well, there's nothing to clean up. The bears do it for you.

MCAT,

Sad to say but if he was baiting up here. Bears do not clean up all the grease, COB or every little crumb. I don't share my ticket experience to sit here and blow smoke...It's a true, real life scenario that happens up here ALL the time. Most don't talk about it, but I figure if it saves someone the heart ache of having to deal with a similar situation then it was worth it. They WILL ticket you if you have ANY evidence of bear baiting left behind the day after bear baiting closes. That means even a kernel of corn, a spot of grease or a clump of molasses.......

So choose your baits carefully....We don't use anything we can't pick up. Elk consider yourself lucky...Alaska has some pretty tough laws when it comes to baiting...

elkmaster,

Find a 2 liter bottle, buy the big box of strawberry Jello, pour it into a stump. We did this back in MN, they will dig forever for it! Mix it with water in the 2l bottle.....then pour into the stump at the bait, and obviously remove the bottle.

Huntress.....you received a ticket for bear poop (assuming thats what you ment by duff) with cob in it? something doesnt sound right here (troopers side).

Blaster,

For some reason one year we had the notion to video tape our clean up..
    We raked, shoveled and video taped the area during and after, even with the video in hand we still received a ticket. This was a few years ago. the Trooper had a hand full of duff with a few kernels of COB mixed in even after our clean up......
    Just speaking from experience, it does happen....(They won't except that your feeding the birds and squirrels either)....
    Darn, that sucks...I'm going to have to clean my site EXTRA good than because I went there last night and that cob was everywhere around my site. The bears didnt like it, for some reason the bears at my site are picky! They'll pick out the popcorn out of the barrel to eat a piece of leftover desserts(or whatever else "surprise" I have in there) and than eat the popcorn...

blaster are you mixing your cob with anything? Mind you they werent on mine this year long in years past they have licked the barrels clean. I tried some sweet stuff on 'wet' cob this year, including adding more molassis and they liked it. In years past I'd use a ton of grease and it'd work very well, just not well enough to bring a bear in when I could hunt them LOL. I'm just curious being I like using cob.

elk,

I should have added, pour the strawberry jello in as a liquid before it sets up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast