Thread: Valdez Report?

Default Valdez Report?

Hey guys Im going to Valdez this weekend for 1 week and I was just wondering if anybody has a recent report on how the Shimpin' has been? And how the Halibut and Rockfish fishing has been lately.

Thanks For the Help
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Thumbs down SAD SAD SHRIMP REPORT from VALDEZ!!!!

Well after 3 days of fishing/ shrimping out of Valdez I am comming home with fish but nothing really worth mentioning as far as shrimp are concerned. I tried 3 different spots that I did great on last year. I did set a lil deeper this year but as far as ridges they were the same and in the same location as before.
    We pulled pots 18 times, ranging from a 6 hour soak to a 24 hour soak. Only banking 80 shrimp or so.
    I have never shrimped out of Valdez this early before.
    I was told the best shrimping there usually takes place in early May. I was hoping for much better results!
    We did do great on the fishing though. To bad out of the 3 days I was there I was only able to make it to my destination one day for fishing. Weather slowed us down the two other days. That one nice day on the sound sure makes up for the two days we had to fight it.
    Seen Whales next to the boat
    An Eagle stole a flounder off the bow of the boat!
    Spotted Orcas
    Got a mean TAN!

BTW, the SeaOtter camp ground / RV park is CLOSED!!!!!
    Wonder how the 4th of July and Silver Derby will work out with only half the spaces to stay at?

powderhound,
    what depth did you set your pots in? Last year we shrimped this time of the year in 325' or less.
    did you stay inside the narrows for the shrimp?? If i go i am thinking about shrimpin' in the icebergs of Columbia (risky).

I have heard that out around Goose Island and Knowles Head is good butt fishin', has anybody tried this area? Is it worth the trip?

Just curious, trying to decide between Homer or Valdez. Really want shrimp and butt, without the headache (Whittier).

Default wow

18 pulls for 80 shrimp.....that is terrible. I was getting that in 1 pot last weekend out of whittier......

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor fanatic View Post
    powderhound,
    what depth did you set your pots in? Last year we shrimped this time of the year in 325' or less.
    did you stay inside the narrows for the shrimp?? If i go i am thinking about shrimpin' in the icebergs of Columbia (risky).

I have heard that out around Goose Island and Knowles Head is good butt fishin', has anybody tried this area? Is it worth the trip?

Just curious, trying to decide between Homer or Valdez. Really want shrimp and butt, without the headache (Whittier).
    I usually set in about 250' of water and did well last two summers. After all of my research and results from last year I decided to begin to set deeper. Still keeping it not deeper than 450'. Well as you know my results were terrible. As in personal worst! We did harvest the most shrimp out of a pot that was sitting in 200' of water. To bad we found this out on our last pull before leaving town. I am not sure if setting deeper was my problem, sure do better on the other side of the sound in the deeper water. Dont understand why the results would be so different on the Valdez side.
    I have also considered that maybe this whole Commercial Shrimping is already making its impact on the harvest results? I sure hope that is not the case.