Thread: New Clothes for my Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06

Default New Clothes for my Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06

Here is my Ruger Hawkeye in it's new stock, a Hogue over molded with a full aluminum bedding block. It fit perfect, and after putting it in the stock I checked it and it is free floated all the way to the receiver. It is lighter than my wooden stock was an actually throws up and meets my should better. It really handles well and I love the feel of the pistol grip. Nice indeed.

I was very impressed with the fit and finish, in fact, I was shocked at how well it was put together and there were no un-smooth places or ragged spots on the in side and the aluminum block was also finished very nicely. As some of you know I ruined my wooden stock but before I ruined it I could only get the rifle to shoot if I free floated the barrel. When I did this I had 1/4" groups with some loads. This will be my main 30-06 in my load work.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yes, it turned out better than I thought it would in looks, but the construction of the stock for the money is what really surprised me and especially when I dropped the rifle in the stock it fit like a glove custom made for my hands. Really amazing, I thought I would be doing so adjusting and fitting but this truly is a fine drop in stock. It was so cool to be able to run a sheet of paper between the stock and barrel that looks like it fits so tight and not once did the paper catch on anything. In fact I tried it four times just to make sure. Yes, now the rest is up to me at the range. Can't wait to get out and pop some caps, make some smoke and kick up some dirt at the range. I am so glad that I waited for this stock, it is so well built for the money and I love how it feels in my hands but also how well it throws up and fits my shoulder. I am really happy with this stock. Yep, going to be some game hit the ground with my 30-06 commanding DRT.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth,
    Nice, am I reading it correctly that you bought a standard Hogue stock that had the full aluminum block as a std and basically just dropped gun into it with no fitting?
    Or, did you have to custom order the al block ?
    Whats the approx cost if you don't mind sharing?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Beartooth,
    Nice, am I reading it correctly that you bought a standard Hogue stock that had the full aluminum block as a std and basically just dropped gun into it with no fitting?
    Or, did you have to custom order the al block ?
    Whats the approx cost if you don't mind sharing?
    Thanks
    You are reading it correctly, I bought their Over Molded stock that has a full aluminum bedding block and my Ruger Hawkeye just dropped in perfect and I mean a perfect fit. I have never had this happen except for expensive customs stocks I had specially made. Check Brownell's for the price, you can order one through them. This is really cool man.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You got a great looking rifle. Amazing that the stock fit perfectly without any extra work. I wonder if it was luck or if Hogue has such good quality control.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    You got a great looking rifle. Amazing that the stock fit perfectly without any extra work. I wonder if it was luck or if Hogue has such good quality control.

Been asking around and of course I talked to a few who restocked their Remington and a few who restocked a Ruger Hawkeye like me and they all say the same thing so there must be good quality control. I do know that Sig arms decided to use Hogue grips because they said Hogue had the best grip and best quality control for the money spent. I know one thing, I like mine.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Awesome that it fit so well...it looks REALLY good.

I'm thinking my Ruger .350RM may look good in similar "clothes"

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    I'm thinking my Ruger .350RM may look good in similar "clothes"
    This stock is so good that I am thinking of changing out my compact wooden stock on my Custom 260 for one of these with the full aluminum bedding block and free float my Shilen Octagon barrel and maybe it would like a few different loads instead only one that is sub 1/4".
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I also like the fit and feel of the rubber over Houge. The full length aluminum block model is machined for a great fit in the Rem 700 too. I recently put one on for a cousin that liked the feel of my Houge equipped Rugers. It too dropped right in with no rocking in the block, perfect snug fit with plenty of barrel channel clearance.

My original equipment rubber over Alaskan 375 shoots so good that I'm afraid to change anything. If the original two pillar Houge stock breaks it will receive the full length model like yours.

Beartooth

I really like that! Just looking at Brownells website, it says that the Hogue "Full Block" stock only fits the MK 2 Ruger. I take it this will fit the Hawkeye too?

Also, any idea what that rifle weighs?

I am thinking of ordering one too...

Quote Originally Posted by mlg View Post
    Beartooth

I really like that! Just looking at Brownells website, it says that the Hogue "Full Block" stock only fits the MK 2 Ruger. I take it this will fit the Hawkeye too?

Yes, it will fit a Hawkeye, my rifle weighs with scope 9.4 pounds and the butt recoil pad it is really nice, recoil feels much less.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Stock is on the right and the aluminum bedding block is far right
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by mlg View Post
    Beartooth

Go to the Hogue web site and pick out the part number you want. Search that number elsewhere and save a lot of money...

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...&cPath=653_111

Thanks for that Gents.....

Don't forget to update us when you shoot the rifle. It will be interesting to see if it shoots the same groups it did with the wood stock.
    NRA Life Member since 1974