Thread: Which sock liner?

Default Which sock liner?

I have decided to invest in several pairs of Smart Wool socks, probably the hunting model medium cushion. Which sock liner would you recommend?

Smart Wool makes a 100% woolen liner that's durable and fits pretty well. I find however that it loses its nice "hand" and becomes somewhat tougher with washing. (I use a machine for washing -- don't have any interest in handwashing socks.)

The best sock liner I've ever used is the Wigwam Ultimax Liner. Great fit, great blister protection, great feel, and it lasts like iron, even with repeated machine washings and miles and miles on the trail. There's a newer version called the "Ultimax X-Static Silver Liner" that I haven't tried yet.

Default Xstatic

There are many great sock liners out there... I use one made by Fox River.

I highly recommend them... Here's a blurb:

X-STATIC® socks use X-STATIC® silver-coated nylon—a natural antimicrobial. Fox River was the first sport-specific sock manufacturer to use X-STATIC® fiber. Socks with X-STATIC® help eliminate foot odor (even after wearing a few days without washing); inhibit foot bacteria and fungi. (Silver is used in hospitals to heal burn victims, and to protect patients against infection.); and transfer heat away from the foot. (Silver is the most conductive element; in fact, the hotter feet get, the better X-STATIC® socks perform.) X-STATIC® socks continue to be effective wash-after-wash. X-STATIC® is permanent and washing actually enhances the antimicrobial and therapeutic performance of the socks—because water releases more silver ions (water is a catalyst). That’s why it works so well on perspiring feet!

http://www.foxsox.com/Admin/Default.aspx

There have since been other companies using similar technology... Find what works for you and what fits your foot as well as your budget...

ps. I wear a liner sock every single day of the year. I love them that much.

Thumbs up Wigwam

I second the WIgwam Ultimax liner. I have been using them for 6 years now and they were extremely well.and in a slight breeze they dry out very quickly. I use them with the smartwool socks too and this seems to be a winning combination for me anyway.

I saw that Smartwool makes several versions or their socks (hiking, hunting, etc). Which version do you use?

Default Hiking

I use hiking and dtermine thickness by what time of year and what kind of hunting I am doing, whetjer it be alot of mountain climbing or sitiing and glassing

i can vouch for the ultimax liners. that's what they used to issue us prior to hell week at BUD/s, they're the best thing i've ever had on my feet.

For what it's worth....I tried sock liners a few times and hated them. I wear Smart Wool or Patagonia expedition weight Capilene socks for just about all my outdoor activities. Both are great socks. The Smart Wool are more comfortable and the Capilene are more durable. Both rinse and dry very quickly. Both work exceptionally well without foot underwear. I much MUCH prefer them without.

These arent fancy but they seem to work best for me. I have tried several Ultimax from both Fox river and Wigwam and still like these the best.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ners&noImage=0