Thread: valdez

Default valdez

when would be the best time of year for salmon in valdez? it would be from shore and have to be accessable with a car. thanks. also what type of salmon are the most abundant?

Pinks are crazy in the port!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Pinks in July, Silvers in August, both can be caught from shore, Allison Point is popular fishing spot but "crude" camping, campgrounds in town offer electric, bathrooms/showers. Mike's Palace good pizza spot, Totem Restuarant good prime rib Fri/Sat nights, have fun.

Cody

This year during the 4th of July and the Silver derby should be intresting now that the Sea Otter is shut down. That town already runs out of places to camp every year. Now with the Sea Otter out of the game this only other 3 options will never be able to host that many people looking for a place to pitch a tent or park a RV. This took me by suprise last week when I rooled into town at 3AM just wanting to park the truck and pitch the tent at the Otter. Hopefully the city moves the road blocks and allows people to camp out there atleast during the derby. This fourth of july I think I am gonna get there early and just hit the water and camp on a beach somewhere. No room for my party in town now I guess!

not that I don't trust powderhound, but can anyone confirm sea otter is closed. If So any info on a reopen.

I just got word from a Valdez resident that it indeed is closed.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

The story I got was that the owner of the Otter passed away. He has been leasing that property for 30 years. Well now since he has passed away the city has ran an inspection on the property and found that the sewer, water needed to be replaced. Guess he also has been getting some free electricity for a while now to, kinda sneaky ol boy I guess! This info is just what I was told while I was down there last week. I am only taking this businesses owner word on what the status is on the otter.
    Guess the city wants to lease out the property if you repair the utilities.
    That place has been making alot of money hand over fist for a long time. Which one of you guys are gonna restart that place for us!

Was just told Bayside, Eagle and Bear Paw are RV campgrounds.

Default just a thought

AOD forum owned campsite. Could be the best campsite in the world! Wonder what the lease per year on this place is.

Default lease

Not sure but wish I had the means to do it, be a dream come true for me. Living in Valdez, running a campground on the point looking out over the water....place does need serious work though, new water/sewer lines. Shower/wash facilities would get a complete renovation and be kept CLEAN if I owned it. Larger grass plots for tent campers with fire rings, picnic tables for all. Larger, covered fish cleaning station. Maybe a covered grilling area, horseshoe pits on the north end of the campground, all kinds of ideas...would be awesome. I already miss camping on the point.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    when would be the best time of year for salmon in valdez? it would be from shore and have to be accessable with a car. thanks. also what type of salmon are the most abundant?
    As mentioned, pinks start in July and flood the bay. Easy catching from shore.

Mid- to late-August/early Sept. the silvers can be off the hook if you time it right. They are a blast to catch, and the typical average fish is bigger than most places.

Not sure but wish I had the means to do it, be a dream come true for me. Living in Valdez, running a campground on the point looking out over the water....place does need serious work though, new water/sewer lines. Shower/wash facilities would get a complete renovation and be kept CLEAN if I owned it. Larger grass plots for tent campers with fire rings, picnic tables for all. Larger, covered fish cleaning station. Maybe a covered grilling area, horseshoe pits on the north end of the campground, all kinds of ideas...would be awesome. I already miss camping on the point.
    Do it and we'll get it national attention!