Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prince of Wales Island

Red face Prince of Wales Island

Gentlemen,

I am new to the site and would like to begin gathering information on Prince of Wales Island. I would like to plan a combo hunt for 2012. I'm blue-collar, so I need time to save up some coin. If I understand correctly, Wales Island has Sitka Deer, Roosevelt Elk, and some of the largest Black Bears on record. Any information I can get would be great. Google can point me to an outfitter, but I would like to hear from some past experience if possible.

Many Thanks.
    Dave Kimball
    (256)288-6496

No elk I know of but deer and black bear.Planning for 2012 is a way off but if no big changes you can do all right.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Amigo is right ... no Elk have ever been killed on Island. They are in the book because if they make it over we don't want em there so it is open Cow, Calf or Bull.

The Black Bear and Sitka Blacktail is basically 2 different hunts. Deer on top and Bear in the bottoms. You must give yourself enough time to do both.

There is also a Sept road closure on hunting Bear from any road (hwy veh).

The Board of Game meets this fall to see if that rule will be extended, increased to Oct and possible spring or even a possible draw system.

Things could change by 2012 and most likely will for the Black Bear hunting in all of SE Alaska for the non-resident.

my understanding is elk have been spotted on POW having migrated from etolin. maybe this was presented as fact when it was just speculation, or maybe they have been sighted but not harvested? just wondering aloud i guess.

I talked with a retired FS employee who lives in wrangell who hunted elk along with deer not last fall but the year before. She seemed fairly certain there were elk on POW that had swam from etolin (via zarembo and perhaps bushy/shrubby islands) unless I am remembering wrong.

Default POW sightings

There have been many sightings and reported Elk on POW for many years but not one has ever been taken.

You could say the same about Bigfoot ... actually there have been MORE Bigfoot sightings reported than Elk.

I have cut 3-4 different sets of Elk track on POW in the last 5 years or so. I was shown a picture one day, at log cabin, of a cow elk that I was told was shot on the North End of the Island, but have no idea if it really was.

I'm still waiting for the 1st confirmed elk kill before I believe that elk really are on the island. I was told that the Forest Service investigates "elk" sightings, and all of them have not even yielded a track.

But who knows! Maybe some day I'll be out hunting and I'll run across an elk.

Next time home, I'll show you undeniable proof that there are Elk on POW....

Are Elk considered a feral species on POW? IOW do you need a tag and are there seasons/restrictions on harvest?

I am waiting on ADF&G to send the new regs once they're printed or else I'd try and answer my own question.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    The Board of Game meets this fall to see if that rule will be extended, increased to Oct and possible spring or even a possible draw system.

Things could change by 2012 and most likely will for the Black Bear hunting in all of SE Alaska for the non-resident.
    What do you think is going to happen? What do you think should happen?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_enviro View Post
    Next time home, I'll show you undeniable proof that there are Elk on POW....
    Right on! I'll be looking forward to that.

Default Elk

Personally.....I'd love to do a Sept. Deer and Bear hunt on Etolin. I know for certain there are some toad bucks on Etolin too.

You steelhead fish about a mile and a half from where I found the last sign. It was actually both tracks and chit....looked like a cow/calf had perhaps wintered in the area. There wasn't a lot of sign, but it was certainly unmistakable.

They could get lost in that area and not get spotted for years..

So, the real question is.. When does elk season start? July 23, Aug 1, or Aug 15th? It'd be hilarious to be up top for a subsistence buck at the end of July and have an elk go walking by and not be able to shoot it!

Default Elk Season

Elk Season opens August 1st ... a tag is required by the non-resident hunter. The bag limit is ONE ELK ... you must report within 5 days to ADF&G the kill. I was present during the Elk transplant meetings for POW island .... the Elk were not wanted on POW by a majority of the hunters ... Oregon and Washington loggers wanted the transplant. But were not in the majority. They were being told by Natives and other resident hunters if they wanted thier Elk hunt to go back to OR & WA and hunt thier Elk. Many wanted Elk season open all year but the BOG went with Deer season time frame.

Later some Natives and Wrangell residents tried to have the Etolin Elk litsed as a subsistence species stating that the Elk hunt was C&T ... it didn't fly.

Elk could be there as like many say they have been reported. But when Andy (the brown shirt trooper) had his cub on POW he would fly at every report and spent many many hours looking over the Exchange Cove and north areas for Elk ... not one sighting. Many trappers travel many miles of snowy roads in winter and not one proven Elk tracks cut.

There have been Elk killed and reported from both Shrubby and Brushy Islands which is in the ANY Elk area.

There have been Moose on POW for many years (but that has been proven several times by an auto colision and video turned over to ADF&G and one being shot) and they have been seen by a very few people. So I do suppose there could be Elk hiding out.

Default Game concentrations on Prince of William Island

Thanks to all who were able to reply to my last post. I'm sure there will be more questions as time goes by. Trying to do too many things on a hunt, can make for a bad time and wasted money.

Mr. Laird, I'd like to learn a little more about the waterways on POW. Do you have large tidal flats...where an outfitters boat can get stranded? I know you've seen your share of idiots in the woods.

Some have called spot and stalk from the beach an old man's hunt. Thoughts?

Dave Kimball

Default idiots in the woods

There is a reason there isn't many boat rentals and there have been quite a few search and rescues for flatlanders thinking they had SE boating savie.

A strong westerly kicked up out of no-where yesterday that could have and might have put some of those rental boaters at risk.

Road hunting the beaches SE style dosen't take much physical agility but can produce some nice specimens and is a common way to hunt.

I remeber the time some Texans went over to Polk Inlet to launch a rental boat via a rented new SUV. They went down by the old USFS camp instead of using the old launch at the old logging camp. They got er backed down onto the beach at low tide ok but when they went to drive er up it sank in the sand up to the axels. It was 2 tides (all the way over the rig) before the tow truck could get it pulled out. That was one expensive hunt for those good 'ol boys.

Its the down south loggers that eat most of the elk on etolin and zerembo.Bear and wolf eat most of the deer fawns
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Trophy bear on POW Island

In the opinion of the field, is an unguided hunt worth the risk of not seeing/ shooting a book bear? POW Island has quite a few trophies bears on record. Is there any feedback out there on POW outfitters? This spring, I hunted northern Alberta. 2 hunters per week. I saw 18 different bears. My partner saw 12. Any chances of that on POW?

Thanks.
    Dave Kimball

I'd go with Johnny at muskeg excursions if I were wanting a guided bear or deer hunt on POW.

If a "book" bear was guaranteed, then the book would be meaningless, IMO. I've seen 15 bears in an evening of beach hunting, and I've seen 2 bears in an evening of beach hunting. You just never know what sort of numbers and quality of bears you'll see. It's hunting. But, POW has some big ones, and your odds of seeing a big one is better here than in many other places.

If you have your heart set on a book bear and anything less will piss you off, then go with a guide, unless you are confident that you know the difference between a 19 14/16" bear and a 20 8/16" bear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast