Thread: Good charter company out of Homer?

Default Good charter company out of Homer?

I've lived in Alaska all my life, and fished most of those years. (23). I've never had the opportunity to catch Halibut though! So I'm thinking about going to Homer for a charter on Saturday. I need a good company that isn't too spendy. Saw one and it was 275 for a day trip with lingcod. Is there anything cheaper or is that about average? '

Suggestions appreciated =)
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Lingcod season doesn't start until July 1st, so it'll be a two halibut trip. If you're just after catching a couple of halibut then look into a 1/2 day trip. Personally I'd say wait until mid Juily and do a combo trip out of Seward. That way you have a good shot at halibut, silver salmon, rockfish and ling cod.

Charter prices are all pretty close, I'd do the research on the top rated boats as an extra $50 can mean the difference between a captain whose goal is to get the boat to limit out on smallish halibut with as little effort as possible and head back to port, and a captain that will to the best of his ability put you onto some truly nice fish.

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
    I've lived in Alaska all my life, and fished most of those years. (23). I've never had the opportunity to catch Halibut though! So I'm thinking about going to Homer for a charter on Saturday. I need a good company that isn't too spendy. Saw one and it was 275 for a day trip with lingcod. Is there anything cheaper or is that about average? '

Suggestions appreciated =)
    And if you're interested in going this Sat. I'd suggest you get on the phone immediately and start searching. We're pretty busy down here at this time of year and on a weekend most charter services are pretty well booked (I've got trips scheduled for the next 4 days in a row).
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I went out with Captain Pete http://captpete.com for a combo halibut/king trip about three weeks ago. Captain Pete was great and we had a fantastic time. Everyone on the boat limited out on Halibut with lots of action. We threw back quite a few little ones and kept the 20-30 pounders. No monsters but Pete took us to the same hole that produced a 90+ lb fish for his client the day before. The king fishing wasn't as good but that's been the trend everywhere this year.

Anyway we had a great time and came home with lots of fish for the freezer. Who can ask for more than that?

As for cost...we got a great deal as it was an early season, mid-week trip, we had multiple people in the party, and timing worked out to hook up with another client who wanted to get out but didn't have anyone else in his party. It seems the rates are all about the same but it never hurts to call around and see if there is a seat going empty somewhere. If so you might be able to talk yourself into a good deal as I would think a discounted seat is much better for the boat than an empty one.

Thumbs up Pete!!!

I'll second Captain Pete. You can't do better, and he's a really nice guy too and will do his best to get you what you want.

highly reccomend Ron with IN 2 FISHIN'
    http://www.in2fishin.com/
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    highly reccomend Ron with IN 2 FISHIN'
    http://www.in2fishin.com/
    Couldn't agree with that one more. I am friends with Ron and he's got a gorgeous boat, he's a great guy and he knows where the big ones are. The winning fish in the Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby last year was caught on his boat.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default Cheaper

Well sometimes cheaper only means less, the pro's like Muttley Crew can give you everthing you expect, hope you checked out the web site. But being last min you may have to take waht ya get. I have never gone out on a charter in Homer, (except winter Kings) have deck hand and captained a few when some one was in dire need (lived there) hence when I take my boat down there I go good. But I also learned from some of the old times in the 70's spots very close that produce.
    Good luck!